Trying Pick a Tablet

zahne

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I'm pretty tired of data on my smartphone. I'm always in wifi areas and the screen is too small for the lengthy emails I typically need to write for work. It's not to say that I don't use my data plan (unlimited on Verizon) but I def don't use it enough. I barely scratch 500MB per month and I'm paying $30 because it's the only option.

I've decided that since I mostly use my phone for calls and text I'm going to either switch to a pre-data plan Verizon smartphone or a "dumb" phone. It would be more worth while to me to have tablet with 3G that's month to month and switch it on during a month I'm doing a lot of traveling. So now I'm trying to find that tablet. I like the Xoom but for me to do month to month it will cost me $799 to buy the device. I don't want to buy an iPad because I love Android and Google's features/services but I'm having trouble finding a good tablet that is Android that can meet the $630 iPad price point with month to month mobile data. Can anyone recommend one? Is there one on the horizon?

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Im thinking about getting a tablet also. Im torn between the ASUS transformer, Samsung Tab 10", and the Toshiba thrive 10"

Some people ar complaining about the samsung not having a sd card slot. I used to have an EVO and i hated getting that disk space running low message. Is that sd card related?

I have Nexus S and LOVE the galaxy screen its awesome. Also, the samsung is lighter and thinner. The price point is not the same as the ASUS. The ASUS does have that sd card slot. Then I learned about the toshiba thrive which has a straight HDMi but it looks bulky.

Ugh some input from some people would most appreciated.

haha

zahne

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I would for the Asus Transformer if it had 3G. What a great price. Or rather it's a great price because it's the standard that Apple has set for a good price on a large range tablet.

My only issue is that I'm looking for one with 3G or 4G specifically. The only one that's in the price range of the 16GB iPad 2 w/ 3G is the LG G-Slate and that's still $70 more. I was really hoping that open source and licenseless or less licensed Android would mean cheaper products. It seems to be true for phones but these tablet prices are insane. $800 for the Xoom? It's getting a pretty average rating by critics too.

Seven2k

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I would for the Asus Transformer if it had 3G. What a great price. Or rather it's a great price because it's the standard that Apple has set for a good price on a large range tablet.

My only issue is that I'm looking for one with 3G or 4G specifically. The only one that's in the price range of the 16GB iPad 2 w/ 3G is the LG G-Slate and that's still $70 more. I was really hoping that open source and licenseless or less licensed Android would mean cheaper products. It seems to be true for phones but these tablet prices are insane. $800 for the Xoom? It's getting a pretty average rating by critics too.
Yeah $800 bucks waaaaay too much. You can also tether. I really dont care about the 3g or 4g since i have a nexus s and can wifi tether. i will probably go with the samsung or ASUS. Just to get my hands on the to try them out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo