What to do with a Busted 360

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been wearing my Moto 360 every single day since like a week or two after they initially started being sold. I wear it everywhere and have never had any issues with it ever. Until last Friday. I went swimming with my family, something I have done many times before with it on, and it died on me. I originally thought that maybe the battery just died so I tried charging it and it still wasn't coming back on. So gave it a little time in a rice bag but apparently the damage was done.

e2jdOBn.jpg

Ever since Saturday I had been seriously debating whether or not to get another Android Wear watch or just live without it (at least until a second gen 360 comes out) and after a few days of staring at a blank wrist (with a awful tan line) or an analog watch every time my phone vibrated, I decided last night to go ahead and get another one. I honestly didn't realize just how much I used it until it was gone. If nothing else at least it picked a good week to die since they are on sale right now.

Long story short I have no idea what to do with the busted one. I considered selling it "as is" and noting the water damage. The thing is not a total loss though. The screen is still fine, as when I plop it on the charger it shows a battery charging icon for a while before freaking out. Also, the case is in good shape and the back is not cracked which seems like something that apparently happens a lot. But I honestly have no idea if it would even be useful for parts to someone.

I have even considered gutting it and sticking some analog watch guts it in just for fun. But that would be a lot of work for something fairly silly.

But I am open to other ideas too, because honestly it seems like a shame to just chuck it in the trash... or maybe I'm just being too sentimental.

Also I don't know if I'm just crazy but the new one seems to run much smoother than the old one. I made an animated watch face with Watch Maker. And on the old watch the animations were a little choppy, but with the new one they are really smooth... IDK?

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
they are getting cheaper and cheaper. Maybe watch for a special. Motorola has been silent as far as I know on the next generation. Considering how long they teased us about this first generation, I think they're waiting. Especially with the launch of MotoMaker. Seems they'r milking this 1st generation for all it's worth (IMO).

I'd list it on ebay, someone will buy it for parts maybe.

Is it still under warranty??

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes it is under warranty, however technically all of them are still under warranty as they came with a one year manufacturer warranty and they came out less than a year ago.

However the warranty specifically exempts any kind of water damage. It's frustrating that something marketed as water resistant has no warranty against water damage, but I guess it also kind of makes sense since there is no way to prove whether it was damaged while you were doing the dishes, or that one time that you accidently left it sitting on the roof of your submarine.

I was leaning towards just listing it on eBay for parts or what ever someone would use a broken watch for. But I have a feeling that I would get so little for it as to not even be worth the effort. Shoot there is a broken 360 on eBay right now going for just over a dollar, and the sad part is that I am even considering bidding on that one myself just because it has the metal band.

LOL, I can't take me anywhere.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Second vote for ebay.

I've gotten my 360 plenty wet numerous times but the only way it'd ever in a body of water was if I fell in or forgot to take it off. IP67 rating isn't all that great for liquids/pressure. I know people who've had no issue wearing IP67 gear in the shower or even swimming like you, and then I hear stories of IP67 gear failing under the "high" pressure of a kitchen sink faucet. So it's a risk. I wouldn't worry about the shower other than it the leather starting to smell funky.

Last edited:

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think I definitely learned the limitation of an IP67 rated device the hard way. I am still not afraid to get the new one wet but I definitely won't be taking it swimming again any time soon either. The sad part is that it was only a 4 foot deep pool... so in theory it should have been fine as long as I wasn't hanging out at the bottom of the pool for over a half hour straight. Which despite my decent lung capacity is still beyond me.

But I digress.

So far the new one continues to be better than the old one, it runs smoother and is less laggy. I don't really have any third party apps installed on the watch but I didn't on the old one either. With the exception of Watchmaker on both of them. So I am not sure where the performance boost is coming from, but I'm not complaining either.

maduro78

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Give it some more time maybe it'll work. Days after I thought a device I thought was toast turned on out of the blue. Never know, possible it's not completely dry.

Last edited:

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Give it some more time maybe it'll work. Days after I thought a device I thought was toast turned on out of the blue. Never know, possible it's not completely dry.

Yeah it turns out that you may have been on to something...

TxXGv1K.jpg

Lol, apparently now I have two working watches. Just for grins I stuck it on the charger this afternoon and it just turned on and started charging like nothing ever happened...

Now I have a whole new problem...

Posted via the Android Central App

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been wanting one for a while but I'm waiting till they get to selling for $100 or less. I tried two of them for a few days and couldn't get comfortable with how much I paid for it and knowing what little it done (I knew what I was getting into, just that it was a first gen device and that's like designing a skillet with a built in flashlight, those features are cool but would you ever use it).

Posted via the Android Central App

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That is a much better problem to have now! =p

True Story right there.

So now I am debating either, selling the old one and taking a small overall loss, or returning the new one and keeping the old one. One way I am keeping the 360 with a fresh battery and no potential gremlins lurking from the submarine adventure. Or on the other hand I can just keep the old one hoping that it at least holds out until the next 360 (or some other Android Wear device that I would be willing to replace it with) comes out, before it totally gives up the ghost. Worst case scenario with the second option would be that the old one dies later and then I have to go totally without a watch, or fork over the full price for another one... Which I don't think I would be willing to do, since the $149 price had a lot to do with justifying buying another one in the first place.

If I sell the old one I think I could reasonably expect to get around $100 for it and yes I would disclose exactly what happened, I'm no crook. I see Moto 360s all the time on Craigslist and such in the $180 range but I don't think most of those folks are aware of the recent price drops and sales on them, Although for what it's worth those ads have been up for months and they haven't sold them yet. Also since I actually bought the new one from a local Target store because they price matched the $149 price from Amazon, returning it should be very easy if I decide to go that way.

I think I will probably start wearing the old one for a few days and go from there. If it seems to be doing ok I'll probably just return the new one because that is going to be much less hassle than having to deal with selling the other one myself and at the end of the day loosing money on the deal. But my main concern is that the battery on the old one was already starting to show signs of degradation, not severely but it was definitely not lasting as long as it used to. So I am worried that the water may have been damaged further, but I guess there is one way to find out.

Absolute worst case scenario, that is the old watch is working but the battery life is shot I wouldn't be willing to sell it to someone and intentionally stick them with a bum watch, as that's just not cool. So in that situation I would probably just give it away to my brother or a friend just as something to play with and maybe even get them hooked on Android Wear too.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well I don't know if anyone is still following this, but so far the old watch seems to be working just fine. The battery seems fine and everything seems to be working like it should. The only issue that it seems to have is that part of the backlight doesn't seem to be working 100%. When the screen dims the very bottom of the screen is noticeably darker than the rest of the screen, but it is still visible so I don't think it is something to be overly concerned with.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to return the other one or sell it outright now that the price has gone back up again. It is basically brand new and the accessories were never even removed from the box or unwrapped since I already had a set of them.

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
It's a tough call but I'd sell the old one and keep the new one cause anytime the old one could die again then you're stuck paying full price for one or buying used

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that is definitely something that I keep considering... Hmm. I may just do that.

Although if I do, I think I will at least swap the bands and keep the old broken in leather band for my self and sell the old one with the new band. To me that's a win-win, I'll get to keep my old comfortable band and they'll get a new band, which will probably also make it easier to sell.

mbar9607

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
It might but from what I've seen more ppl want the metal bands over the leather

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That's true, but both of mine have leather bands. I was just saying that it would probably easier to sell with a new band than on old used one.

seanthedennis

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I'll buy it! I had the original LG G Watch, but the screen shattered. I was looking for another Android Wear watch, and even considered the Moto 360 (I had my eyes on the LG Watch Urbane). Let me known :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87