Decent charger for the phone?

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey I have a moto G 2nd gen and live in India. I find that the stock charger that came with the phone is quite slow (550 mA output).

Could you please suggest a charger I could buy that is available here?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to use any charger from a decent manufacturer. If you want it to charge faster, get one that is at least 1.5 A (most universal chargers out there are 2.0 A, which is the highest amperage that's useful in most phones).

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Does it matter whether it's a 1.5 A wall charger or a travel charger? Which type of charger would you suggest?

Edit: So I could use a Samsung charger and it wouldn't matter?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Chargers are almost universal now (I believe there's a Chinese phone, and a few off-brand tablets, that use different plugs), so any phone or tablet charger will charge any phone or tablet. As B.Diddy said, a 2 Amp Samsung charger will charge your phone as fast as the phone will accept a charge. (Of course, if your phone won't accept more than 550mA, a larger charger won't charge it any faster.)

Wall or travel? You mean the folding plugs? Your choice. I have some of each, and really don't care which one I use if I'm looking for a charger (except for Samsung phones, which need a couple of pins shorted in the charger to charge at the full mains rate. otherwise they charge at the much slower USB rate).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
"Travel" charger usually means it's smaller in size, and it may also be a quick charger (which means it's 2.0 A, as opposed to 0.5 A). But there are also non-travel chargers that are 2.0 A as well. It's usually just a term to get you to buy an extra charger.

anon(5527120)

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Chargers are almost universal now (I believe there's a Chinese phone, and a few off-brand tablets, that use different plugs), so any phone or tablet charger will charge any phone or tablet. As B.Diddy said, a 2 Amp Samsung charger will charge your phone as fast as the phone will accept a charge. (Of course, if your phone won't accept more than 550mA, a larger charger won't charge it any faster.)

How do I find the max amount of charge my phone can accept?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think it's essentially the same as the mAh rating of the battery. So theoretically, if you had a 3000 mAh battery, it could draw as high as 3 A. But most universal quick chargers supply a maximum of 2 A (and you won't find a phone that has a battery under 2000 mAh).