Amazing battery life on Lollipop 5.1.1 Moto G3 2015 16/2 (screenshots inside)

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I got my Moto G3 16/2 device battery to last almost for 4 days uninterrupted with 5 hours+ of screen time, this is simply awesome and running on default firmware 5.1.1, I had previously installed Marshmallow but rolled back to 5.1.1 due to SD card management issues Marshmallow can't solve / won't solve.

- no reboots, no power offs, no airplane mode, no battery saver, all services enabled, all notifications enabled, auto-brightness, GPS-location services, full Facebook app installed and enabled

-WiFi was ENABLED all the time (3 days 14 hours+)
- moderate usage (screen time was used when needed, not to randomly/compulsively check the phone), some voice calls, a lot of WhatsApp, frequent Facebook checking/browsing/interaction, some games, camera was used randomly for pics and a couple of HDR videos, Google Play Music was used every day while commuting as well as browsing news with Chrome, using Google Now, GMail and all the typical stuff...

screenshots (there's a high usage during last 24 hours of battery when I was in an area with bad signal reception/coverage and I had to make several calls, also some big apps such as Facebook and Facebook Messenger decided to auto-update...)

isn't this awesome ? Doze what ? Lollipop 5.1.1 is awesome in this device.

Screenshot_2016-02-04-18-41-54.pngScreenshot_2016-02-04-18-42-20.pngScreenshot_2016-02-04-18-42-32.pngScreenshot_2016-02-04-18-42-48.png

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Very nice...

I wish I could figure out how people are getting this kinds of screen time and long battery life, mine isn't terrible, I get a full day with about 3.5-4.0 hours of screen time with mixed usage WiFi and LTE, everything enabled. I noticed no significant change between Lollipop and Marshmallow, have factory reset a few times, GSAM shows my major battery draw is Phone Radio, wonder if it has something to do with AT&T LTE? My signal strength is usually decent, and I my usage bounces about 50% of the week in Minneapolis metro area, and the other 50% at home. It's annoying to get so much lower battery life than anyone else.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
my usage bounces about 50% of the week in Minneapolis metro area, and the other 50% at home... wonder if it has something to do with AT&T LTE?

As you already know, carriers control their radio antennas and relays so maybe AT&T in your area is using a low-power, "cheap" antenna to emit and relay LTE signal coverage in a band with enough strength to make the phone detect it as "full coverage" but having devices to work overtime to actually connect to these antennas at max speed, I learnt this long ago (My mother used to work @ Movistar). Maybe you should try to manually adjust the Moto G3 in these "difficult" areas to 3G and see what happens, I take for granted your battery life at home is vastly superior. You should ask a friend for a different carrier' SIM and try just one day, you'd be surprised.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I am very happy with my marshmallow 6.0 battery life!

I have to admit that, even if Marshmallow isn't for me due to my SD-card "dependence", it saves 1-2% extra battery per sleep time (8 hours) and maybe another 1-2% extra during normal usage, 4% in total each 20 hours or so according to my experience.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I actually don't even notice any battery life difference between L and M. The only issue I have with M is that the 'chop twice' for flash light doesn't work.:-\

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't even notice any battery life difference between L and M. The only issue I have with M is that the 'chop twice' for flash light doesn't work.:-\

It didn't work for me when I was on 6.0 no matter what I tried, only rolling back to 5.1.1 worked (of course). It seems the Marshmallow upgrade affects different Moto G3 models differently, at least to me it's a bit random and needs a lot of work.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
5 hours 40 minutes of screen time with device active (never turned off / never on battery save) for almost 4 days.

What I like the most is how "consistent" the Moto G3 is regarding battery performance, let's see how it performed again in the same conditions as last test, a daily driver phone which you never turn off and use for voice calls, social media, random photos and occasional video, messaging (specially WhatsApp), e-mails, browsing news in the morning, some gaming and music...

this is: phone fully functional, all services enabled including security and location services, no reboot, no power-offs, no airplane mode, no battery saver, WiFi always enabled, auto-brightness, Motorola Moto Display notification screen turned on with all sounds and notifications enabled (except sleep time where phone is put in "priority" mode), logged into Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp and Google+ and Instagram (no closed sessions) including full Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps, not lite versions, also 4G LTE enabled... everything ! (on 5.1.1 Lollipop)

result: 5 hours 40 minutes SOT - 3 days 16 hours and a half battery life (with a 4% tiny bit remaining)

This time it even allowed 33 minutes more of SOT and lasted a couple hours more of battery life with the same 4% remaining. Why do you need Marshmallow again ? This year I was looking for a "cheap" phone with good battery life and stock Android, performance was not a priority but the 16/2 Moto G3 performs exceptionally, nice 5.1.1 optimizations there, it performs better than other devices with 8 cores due to a great software and hardware planning for this device (battery-friendly hardware layout, 4x A53 cores, Adreno 306 GPU and 720p screen).

screenshots:
Screenshot_2016-02-09-15-32-58.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-15-33-06.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-15-33-13.pngScreenshot_2016-02-09-15-33-22.png

Last edited:

Rover Pow

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
nothing out of the normal.. I regullary get 3-4days with same SOT with wifi enabled.
I did installed a battery saver once and it lasted 9days!!!! with wifi syncing only every 30mins and me not really using it that much, but still with some 4hours SOT in that time.
on the lollipop , wanted to get the M for the doze so I don't have to mess around with the buggy battery saver app

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
nothing out of the normal.. I regullary get 3-4days with same SOT with wifi enabled.
I did installed a battery saver once and it lasted 9days!!!! with wifi syncing only every 30mins and me not really using it that much, but still with some 4hours SOT in that time.
on the lollipop , wanted to get the M for the doze so I don't have to mess around with the buggy battery saver app

Doze is not supported by Moto G3 so devices on Marshmallow won't get better battery life, on the contrary, screen-on time is reduced going by users' experience with M on the Moto G3, my own experience included.

Also what is "normal" in the Moto G3 is "untouchable" for most devices out there with same specs.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana