Battery Concern - What do you think?

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Need to stop telling him to turn stuff he uses off. GPS and bluetooth take battery, but that is not the issue. He is having bad battery drain on top of that.

the note 8 has good, not great battery life, if someone says they are getting two days of battery life they have it in ultra power saving mode, airplane mode, or have so much turned off it has made a smartphone a basic phone.

you should be getting about 12 hours with average use and nothing turned off. delete Facebook, it's one of the biggest offenders, use the web browser, you can get notifications from that. TuneIn radio is really had as well, but I still use it. Go through your apps and remove backup data usage for whatever apps you don't need always on data usage. I would recommend downloading datally from Google. It looks like you have a lot of high data and battery usage apps downloaded, that might be a problem. But really, over 12 hours estimated time does not seem out of line.

Resetting your phone is no big deal, takes about 30 minutes, most people that is logging on and downloading the apps.

Thank you for saying this..I have my GPS turned on with WiFi with Bluetooth all day and with heavy use I get about 4-5 hours of screen in time.. Now is in stand by I only lose a few percentages an hour not like this.. I opinion is there is an app that is continuously puking small data over WiFi and GPS which will kill battery life.. This because of allowing for background data access.. You should be able to leave you phone in an ideal state for hours and lose less than 10% I have left mine over night and seen only a drop off 2-3% max maybe 4-5 if I leave apps running without clearing them before hand.

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been on the verge of returning this phone for a week. In fact, up until yesterday, I was planning on taking it back and going back to my iPhone. I have a limited returns period which runs out in the next couple of days. I haven't had time (or patience) to do the whole fresh install thing because I've been on vacation at a place with bad WiFi. And I won't have time to do that now and gauge any battery difference before the returns period ends.

But I really do want to keep it. I love this phone. It just seems to drain so damn fast compared to my iPhone X.

I just want to know if this is normal (attached). Phone has been off the charger for about twenty mins and has lost 4% already.

I have all the background notification access stuff off, have initiated all of the steps that Necromancer advised over on Reddit, a dark theme etc..

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180221-061857.jpg
    Screenshot_20180221-061857.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20180221-061849.jpg
    Screenshot_20180221-061849.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20180221-061839.jpg
    Screenshot_20180221-061839.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 17

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, your battery usage isn't horrible for this device considering the power of the screen and processes that it does. personally I use my phone consistently like you and my usage is very similar and I get similar battery life. The amount of time is only an estimate of your usage.. a great way to fix this is a full back up and restore. I know you have said this is a last resort but obviously something is eating at your battery and this phone has one of the best battery life's for its size/screen/display. I would normally feel the same about wanting to give up and trade it in.. the only option I could give you is to downgrade your display to 1080 and see if that makes a difference. I know my phone was having some battery issues and with a full backup the only issues I had in the reset was signing back into everything..
last option is to reset you phones cache from the bootloader menu. it's not too hard and can also clear some of these issues up..I hope the best to you

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the dark side...err...I mean the Note 8 family.

Check what apps are unmonitored: Settings->Battery->Unmonitored apps. I deleted ALL apps that show up there and every once in a while, I check it because when an app updates or installs, it may become unmonitored. This forces the OS to monitor ALL apps' battery usage and give you a better idea what apps are using power.

As you use it more, you'll see which apps are sucking up the most power. You can then determine which apps you want to go to sleep after you close them.

Note8uzer

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
At one time I had a massive battery drain on my Note 8 and I found out it was my watch somehow draining my phone battery. I did a factory reset on the watch and all was well.

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened with, tried many thing an ultimately had to reset my phone and now everything is fine. One question did you load old back in this phone??

I guess I may have to do this. Nope, it was a brand new setup. I started doing Smart Switch from my iPhone but that timed out and then I just quit it and set it up as a new device

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, your battery usage isn't horrible for this device considering the power of the screen and processes that it does. personally I use my phone consistently like you and my usage is very similar and I get similar battery life. The amount of time is only an estimate of your usage.. a great way to fix this is a full back up and restore. I know you have said this is a last resort but obviously something is eating at your battery and this phone has one of the best battery life's for its size/screen/display. I would normally feel the same about wanting to give up and trade it in.. the only option I could give you is to downgrade your display to 1080 and see if that makes a difference. I know my phone was having some battery issues and with a full backup the only issues I had in the reset was signing back into everything..
last option is to reset you phones cache from the bootloader menu. it's not too hard and can also clear some of these issues up..I hope the best to you

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do this. My phone is actually on 1080 FHD+ as personally, I don't think I needed the higher resolution.. especially if it was going to affect the battery life.

I'm fortunate that I live in LA so drive everywhere so most of the time I'm out, my phone is plugged into the car using Android Auto and charging. But then when I'm in places where I have no battery charging possibilities, it's mildly worrying. Lol.

So with the whole backup and restore thing.. how does it work? Bearing in mind that I've been on iPhones for the last few years. The last time I did an Android backup and restore, it was on a rooted S2 years ago when Android was clunkier.
Will I be able to restore every app and setting automatically rather than having to go through it and do it all over again from scratch?

Also, big question is that I have actually run out of deletion slots on Google Play Music. So I can't add any more devices because it won't let me delete any from my settings (Google only allows you to make four changes a year and I've reached the limit on my account!).
So if I wipe this phone and set it up as a new one, will Google recognize this as the same phone or will it think this is a new device? If I end up in a position where I can't use Google Play Music for months, it'll be awful as I use it every day for long periods of time in the car.

Thanks for your help

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the dark side...err...I mean the Note 8 family.

Check what apps are unmonitored: Settings->Battery->Unmonitored apps. I deleted ALL apps that show up there and every once in a while, I check it because when an app updates or installs, it may become unmonitored. This forces the OS to monitor ALL apps' battery usage and give you a better idea what apps are using power.

As you use it more, you'll see which apps are sucking up the most power. You can then determine which apps you want to go to sleep after you close them.

Thanks for this. I actually did this already.. I used the guide from Necromancr on Reddit and that was one of the tips. Didn't really make much difference unfortunately. Boooo

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Turn off the time line in Google Maps. That basically records your entire day in terms of movement. Sucks battery a lot. Although nice if you want to track where you've been. Useful also as an alibi because you can prove your location at any given day anf time.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Also, big question is that I have actually run out of deletion slots on Google Play Music. So I can't add any more devices because it won't let me delete any from my settings (Google only allows you to make four changes a year and I've reached the limit on my account!).
So if I wipe this phone and set it up as a new one, will Google recognize this as the same phone or will it think this is a new device? If I end up in a position where I can't use Google Play Music for months, it'll be awful as I use it every day for long periods of time in the car.

Thanks for your help

You need to use customer service to fix that. It's a freaking huge but that they refuse to fix. They say they will only do it once for free but if they try to pull that we have words.

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
You need to use customer service to fix that. It's a freaking huge but that they refuse to fix. They say they will only do it once for free but if they try to pull that we have words.

Yeah I saw a thread where somebody explained how to do it but the Google page has been updated so there is NO way to contact them directly by phone on it.

Greenenvey

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi just letting yiu know, I get around five to five and a half hours SOT. That is with pretty heavy usage. Everything on including Bluetooth for my gear s3 watch. Always on display is on as well. Sometimes I can get 6 hours and this is draining the phone to 15 percent.

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi just letting yiu know, I get around five to five and a half hours SOT. That is with pretty heavy usage. Everything on including Bluetooth for my gear s3 watch. Always on display is on as well. Sometimes I can get 6 hours and this is draining the phone to 15 percent.

Yikes. I wish I had that!

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello