How to save camera roll photos to SD when using adoptive storage?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to save camera roll photos to SD when using adoptive storage

I don't believe you can. You effectively no longer have an SD Card once you configure it as Adoptable Storage - it simply becomes part of your device's overall internal storage.

To quote Android 6.0 can treat SD cards as internal storage... at a cost - Liliputing

Choose internal storage and the microSD card will be reformatted and encrypted. Once this is done, the card can only be used as internal storage. If you try to eject the card and read it on a computer, it won’t work.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Exactly what @N4Newbie said... in many ways you no longer have an SD card, it has been "adopted" by the system and is considered internal memory. The card can only be read in the phone and is mated to that device.

Best bet is to use Google Photos and setup auto backup (which everyone should be doing anyway), then if you need space you can delete the photos locally well still having access to them on your phone, PC, any Android device with your Google account, or anything with a web browser that can get to Google.

jaydog69

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

So if the SD card is adoptive storage then, why is it when I make a 5 minute video on my phone, I'm getting storage warnings and the physical internal memory part (not the sd card part) is orange and almost full?

I thought this was combined storage now?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

So if the SD card is adoptive storage then, why is it when I make a 5 minute video on my phone, I'm getting storage warnings and the physical internal memory part (not the sd card part) is orange and almost full?

I thought this was combined storage now?
Not combined, replaced... But we are finding it doesn't work as it should for all applications.

jaydog69

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Ok so it's not really replaced if the camera roll saves to the physical internal then and not the new replaced storage?

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Not combined, replaced... But we are finding it doesn't work as it should for all applications.

this is exactly why I wouldn't recommend upgrading to Marshmallow, the storage management is random and can lead to situations described in this thread, of course the best method is using SD Card as external storage (portable) but this does not allow to install apps there anymore.

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Ok so it's not really replaced if the camera roll saves to the physical internal then and not the new replaced storage?

it's a Marshmallow bug, try setting your SD card as "portable" storage instead, why did you feel the need to upgrade to Marhsmallow from 5.1.1 anyway ? it's a huge step back (regarding SD card management)

edited for clarification

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

it's a Marshmallow bug, try setting your SD card as "portable" storage instead, why did you feel the need to upgrade to Marhsmallow from 5.1.1 anyway ? it's a huge step back.

Could you elaborate on how Marshmallow is a huge step back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87