Anyone else experiencing a hyperactive Google voice search on Moto G4 Play?

A

AC Question

A couple of months ago, I got a Moto G4 Play from Target. I loved the phone except for one thing: when I plugged it into external speakers through an auxiliary cable plugged into the headphone jack, the Google voice search would repeatedly and sporadically become activated, interrupting playback of music or sometimes ceasing it all together. This was true with multiple auxiliary cords and speakers. This does not happen when I plug in headphones, weirdly. I had disabled "OK Google" and it would only happen when plugged into external speakers, so I don't think it was sound activation but rather a problem with an overly sensitive headphone jack or something. In any case, it got annoying enough that (after troubleshooting this problem with both Target and Motorola to no avail), I exchanged the phone. The bad news is that this one (again a Moto G4 Play) has exactly the same issue. Does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything to do about it?
Motorola suggested I ship the phone to their factory and they will replace it with one straight from the factory. But is this actually just a problem that most or all Moto G4 Plays have? Or have I just gotten very coincidentally unlucky with two phones with the same problem in a row? Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried different aux cables? If the one you have has a plug that is a bit off, perhaps one of the contacts is triggering the microphone contact in the jack.

TGSSSP

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I suspect that is what is happening, but I tried the phone with multiple aux cords and multiple speakers to the same effect. The same aux cords worked fine on my last phone, a Samsung. I will try with any other aux cords I have lying around just to make sure.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the simple suggestion, but it's worth mentioning -- make sure the plug is fully seated in the headphone jack. Some jacks can be pretty tight, and the user might think that it's all the way in when it isn't. Make sure you hear and/or feel it click into place.