Wow, this phone is wow

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
64gb/4gb. Arrived this morning. Have it all set up and syncing. This phone is an amazing device.

The bad:
-Speaker quality is meh on calls and on speaker phone
-Buttons aren't crisp when clicked

The good:
-I LOVE the front finger print scanner. It's right where my thumb sits.
-Performance, it flies, no stutters even while installing 70 apps
-Its big but doesn't feel big (footprint is almost the same as the note 4)
-Camera is good. I won't feel guilty taking pics of my kids with this.
-Everything else

I'm not going to do a line by line comparison to other phones, but I would just say be confident if you pick this up you'll be impressed!

My recent phone history so you know where I'm coming from (might have missed some, not in any order):
Moto X 2013-2015
LG G2
Galaxy S3
Galaxy S5
Galaxy Note 2-4
Nexus 5
Nexus 5x
Nexus 6
Nexus 6p
Droid Turbo

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Very similar experience here. I was a little disappointed that it's micro USB instead of USB C but that lasted about 5 seconds then I didn't care.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Just did a test running navigation in the background while recording 1080 video with stabilization on. Phone reached 115 degrees according to my infrared thermometer. That was after 15 minutes.

No lag or slow down. After stopping recording i quickly jumped into several different apps and scrolled around the still running navigation map with no slowdowns.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
How is low light shots. My g4 is kinda meh but the g4p is supposed to be much better
I don't take a lot of low light shots. I tried to upload one through Tapatalk but the compression made it look like crap. I'll try to get a full size one uploaded later.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Made it slow down today while testing for a reddit question. Maybe it was hotter today? Not sure, but my below results align more with what some of the other reviewers have said.

-----------------------

I just did a "worst case" test. My phone is in a tight fitting TPU case, the ambient temperature is 80 degrees F, it's turbo charging, navigation is running, and I ran the video camera for 10 minutes with HDR and stabilization on.

By the end the video image was stuttering pretty bad as I moved the camera around. I then stopped recording and went into the UI. The UI still moved smoothly though and apps launched like normal.

I've put other phones through worse without any problem, like the MXPE, Note 4, and Nexus 6p. I used to use my phone as a dashcam, so I'd have it in a case, in a dash mount in the sun, charging, running dashcam video recording software in the background while navigating and streaming music without an issue.

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Sounds good. I just ordered a few days ago (64gb version too) and am waiting on it shipping. Oddly it said it was built within about 8 hours of ordering but it's been sat waiting to ship for a couple of days....

I'm coming from a 2 year old lg G3 that had terrible battery life so fingers crossed I'm not going to see the same with this.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sounds good. I just ordered a few days ago (64gb version too) and am waiting on it shipping. Oddly it said it was built within about 8 hours of ordering but it's been sat waiting to ship for a couple of days....

I'm coming from a 2 year old lg G3 that had terrible battery life so fingers crossed I'm not going to see the same with this.

Wife's Moto G4+ is working great. Battery seems to outlast my Moto X 14'...Not that its saying much but its A LOT better than first gen Moto G LTE that she had. She loved that phone but it finally was killed after being dropped in the water. She was over due anyways.

You will enjoy the device! Regardless of the reviews of the over heating issues they say they have the 64gig/4gig model seems to work very well. Pictures and daily use it preforms like a champ for what you pay for it IMO.

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the comments. I can't wait to get it (not least because I don't have a phone at present!) now if Motorola would just ship the damn thing....

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
funny i came from an LG G3 as well- and that device just died. Won't ever buy another LG anything again.

I tried using an old droid razr maxx, but it was just too painful.

I stumbled across the G4 really, and I ordered my off Amazon. Battery is way better than the G3 ever was. I went into NYC and made it home and batter lasted all day for me, which my G3 would've needed a battery swap or a charging.

chimpboy74

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
That's good to hear. I went with an extended battery on my G3 eventually which helped but made it really Heavy and bulky. My wife still has her G3 but she's had it "repaired" for a fault with battery drain (they said they repaired it but they returned a different phone to us only slightly better TBH). Both our G3s started ok but very quickly could not make it through one day without a top up.
I'm glad to hear the g plus seems to hold up. Hope I'm happy with it.

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've found it so far to be a great phone for the price. Mine works very well, and the battery life is significantly better than my Galaxy S5. I kind of miss the notification LED, but I knew that going in, having done some research. The Moto traits of the phone starting with a soft ring and requiring an addition tap for USB for file transfers are odd and slightly annoying, but no big deal. I certainly don't miss the Samsung bloatware. I would highly recommend this device.

frank-barnett

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought. Is there anything that you really miss about the lg G3?

no I can't think of anything- maybe the replaceable battery, but that is minor, especially when this phone can get me through a full day with moderate use and not threaten to die.

Maybe the LG Health App cause I was comfortable with it. I liked the LG UI, but honestly, not a deal breaker.

Even before my G3 died, I was looking to upgrade because I felt the G3's screen was too dim. Something about passing mid 40's and eyesight.

Now, I have a device that I can move to any carrier I want if I want. And I have no bloatware, and I have a finger print reader!

Maybe this is a smidge bigger than the G3- and that is where I agree, I wish smartphone manufacturers would give some better thought to smaller devices.

But nothing I miss about the G3.

graysonk95

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an LG G4 with OIS, the Moto G4 Plus primary camera is simply satisfactory. Blacks all get muddled together, sunlight white-washes photos, and low-light is very grainy and frequently blurry if you have shaky hands. You really need to play with the images on the Moto, whereas the LG in auto mode took stunning photos, with the occasional focus issue. This camera is about on par with that of the Galaxy S4 in terms of overall image quality.

That being said, for $299 I am completely blown away by every other aspect of this device. Comparing this $300 Moto to a $450 LG with half the internal storage, horrible QC, and the self-destruct feature, it's almost too unfair to rag on the Moto's camera except for the sake of honestly comparing it to more expensive devices.
I haven't regretted upgrading to the G4 Plus for a single second since I got it. I've got it rooted with Xposed and GravityBox and this device does everything I want.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an LG G4 with OIS, the Moto G4 Plus primary camera is simply satisfactory. Blacks all get muddled together, sunlight white-washes photos, and low-light is very grainy and frequently blurry if you have shaky hands. You really need to play with the images on the Moto, whereas the LG in auto mode took stunning photos, with the occasional focus issue. This camera is about on par with that of the Galaxy S4 in terms of overall image quality.

That being said, for $299 I am completely blown away by every other aspect of this device. Comparing this $300 Moto to a $450 LG with half the internal storage, horrible QC, and the self-destruct feature, it's almost too unfair to rag on the Moto's camera except for the sake of honestly comparing it to more expensive devices.
I haven't regretted upgrading to the G4 Plus for a single second since I got it. I've got it rooted with Xposed and GravityBox and this device does everything I want.

HDR at day, flash at night. Flash is good, as is HDR. Both are quite good on this phone.