Visual Voicemail and Messaging duplication

Tymberman

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Love my brand new Moto X! But I have a problem: I hate to use any AT&T apps, but I needed to set up Visual Voicemail to get... visual voicemail! Now text messages appear in BOTH the Visual Voicemail and the Messaging apps. I don't see a setting in Visual Voicemail to turn off SMS - any suggestions?

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Love my brand new Moto X! But I have a problem: I hate to use any AT&T apps, but I needed to set up Visual Voicemail to get... visual voicemail! Now text messages appear in BOTH the Visual Voicemail and the Messaging apps. I don't see a setting in Visual Voicemail to turn off SMS - any suggestions?

I don't have AT&T so I can't comment on your specific problem, but have you thought of using Google Voice for voicemail service?

I love Google voice, it transcribes (or attempts to) the message so you can read it if you aren't able to listen, archives all your voice mails, and you can log into voice.Google.com to listen to your messages from a PC.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

Tymberman

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You know I had Google Voice for years, and never used it. They asked me to give up the number (since it wasn't being used) and I agreed. I think I made a mistake. But I thought the main advantage of Google Voice was to have all these numbers which fed into it. Or it would ring in all these locations. I just use my cell phone, personally. My office phone is handled by my office. I don't want it forwarded

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I love Google voice, it transcribes (or attempts to) the message
I have never...not once...received a message that was transcribed correctly through Google Voice. I use it often, and I usually get the general idea of a message, but sometimes it's so far off it's comical.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
You know I had Google Voice for years, and never used it. They asked me to give up the number (since it wasn't being used) and I agreed. I think I made a mistake. But I thought the main advantage of Google Voice was to have all these numbers which fed into it. Or it would ring in all these locations. I just use my cell phone, personally. My office phone is handled by my office. I don't want it forwarded

I don't use Google voice for anything except for voicemail. Only my cell phone forwards voice mails to it but I still love it. Get a new number if possible and just give it a try. Since it's free, there's no loss to you.

howdydoesit

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I have never...not once...received a message that was transcribed correctly through Google Voice. I use it often, and I usually get the general idea of a message, but sometimes it's so far off it's comical.

Same here. Every once in a while a transcription comes through that's pretty spot on, but most of the time I can look at it and just figure out what the persons trying to say.

My mom is from Korea and has a heavy accent and one of my favorite games to play is what does Google voice think she's saying now lol.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I just use my cell phone, personally. My office phone is handled by my office. I don't want it forwarded.

What are you talking about with "forwarding"? You don't have to use your Google Voice number at all. All you have to do is set up your phone so that instead of your carrier handling your voicemail, Google Voice will handle it. Whenever someone calls me and I don't pick up, they go to my Google Voice mailbox. It's completely seamless and transparent to people who call me. You don't have to give out your Google Voice number or anything.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Is that a setting on the phone itself, or throught the Google Voice website? I got a new Google Voice number by the way

You'll have to activate your cell number in the settings on the Google Voice website. Then download the Google Voice app and open it up. It will start the setup process on your phone. You may need to configure it manually. If that's the case, touch "Configure" in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Under "Other Call Settings," touch "Voicemail." Then "Service." Select Google Voice. It should complete the process on its own after that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez