Loud Vibration

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had 4 different Moto X now for different reasons but one thing I've noticed on all of them is the vibration is really loud. Its kinda crunchy/crackly and just feels like the vibrator inside is loose or poorly made. Anyone else have this issue or not have this issue?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the haptic feedback is premium feeling. Yes it is strong and you can adjust it. Probably rattles the buttons ha ha.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk now Free

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the haptic feedback is premium feeling. Yes it is strong and you can adjust it. Probably rattles the buttons ha ha.

How do you adjust it? I didn't find any way to do it. I found it horrible in the two phones I had. They handed me the phone to activate it with google account and as soon as I pressed a key I was WTF are you kidding me? I couldn't stand it and had to turn haptic feedback off on the keyboard. I didn't have the phones long enough otherwise to see what vibrating from a call is like and stuff but I could never type with such a strong rough feeling buzz. This was VZW. All AT&T phones I tried were nice and pleasant feeling. Kind of symbolic of how I feel about Verizon, maybe it's an omen and I should go with AT&T instead.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I thought I read it was adjustable or there was a app or something to tame it a little? Maybe not. I don't think that because the phone shakes more than others when it vibrates and the buttons or something rattles from it means it is bad? The at&t ones do the same thing....I remember my iPhone 4s camera would rattle like heck when I set it down. I didn't let that stop me from enjoying the device. No phone is ever perfect, but if you find one that doesn't rattle when it vibrates let us know would ya?

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
You can't with the Google keyboard but third party keyboards can offer it. I can speak for SwiftKey specifically, they allow you to set the feedback duration to make it less or more intense.

Posted via Android Central App

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
My belief is if there is such an obvious difference in vibrate characteristics between phones of the same model, then one is more likely built to desired specs than the other. I choose to consider the one out of spec to be bad or defective but I guess you can argue semantics if you really want to. Regardless, I don't like the rough vibrating one and prefer the smoother one, especially since Motorola doesn't let you adjust intensity. That's one thing I like about the S4 and G2. Why don't they do this anyway, is there a patent on it that they are too cheap to pay? Are they using a part that doesn't let them adjust it? I find it really strange after all these years that they continue to choose not to provide this feature which I think is so basic.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
You can't with the Google keyboard but third party keyboards can offer it. I can speak for SwiftKey specifically, they allow you to set the feedback duration to make it less or more intense.

You can adjust it with the stock keyboard. It's under advanced in the keyboard settings.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

If you get jelly bean 4.3 keyboard you can. Its compiled from android keyboard with a bunch of extra options

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I've adjusted it a bit. It's really not the feeling so much as the sound. It's not the buttons rattling. It's inside the phone. It sounds like vibratory unit itself. I usually am not the kind of guy to worry about this kind of thing but it's really loud and cheap sounding.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I've adjusted it a bit. It's really not the feeling so much as the sound. It's not the buttons rattling. It's inside the phone. It sounds like vibratory unit itself. I usually am not the kind of guy to worry about this kind of thing but it's really loud and cheap sounding.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 4

I get bothered by it as well. I actually like haptic feedback but not when it sounds like the moto x. It actually sounds like the buttons are the ones that rattle or like you said something inside. I have used the htc one and the haptic feedback on that is perfect.

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree about the loudness and sound also, I was also adding to it by complaining about the feeling. Does the 4.3 keyboard let you change intensity or just duration? Making it shorter I imagine will help but doesn't change the other aspects. Besides haptic though, vibrate when phone ringing can be aggravating if it's loud.

My samsung S vibrate is somewhat loud and I feel everyone in vicinity can hear my phone ring in vibrate mode, like if I'm in a meeting. The G2 I found had a neat setting where vibrate starts soft and escalates over time when ringing.

A pro to it being loud is sometimes depending on the pants and how it sits in my pocket I may not feel the vibration if it's not sitting against my body, but I hear it. If it was really quiet I may not notice the vibrate.