Anybody found a good armband for running?

rltripp

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I've been using for the past few years:
Amazon.com: Sport Armband for Samsung Galaxy S4 / S3 OtterBox Defender / Commuter Series Cases, also fits OtterBox Defender & Commuter Series Cases for Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Razr HD / Razr Maxx HD, Droid Razr M, and Moto X: Electronics
It really was designed for a phones with the headphone jack on the bottom, but I haven't had any issues with the plug sticking out of the top. The armband is wide enough that it doesn't get all twisted, and its large enough that I can slip my Moto X in there without taking the case off of it.
While it's not waterproof, it is pretty water resistant. I've not had any issues with rain, but I've got some condensation in there after long runs (more than 2 hours) on hot days from sweat building up on the back.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Do you use the phone for GPS and/or music? Or do you just like to have a phone with you?

I never understood carrying a phone while running, especially on your arm.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you use the phone for GPS and/or music? Or do you just like to have a phone with you?

Id guess the point is to have it close to your head so the cord isnt getting tangled.Just a guess though.
But I dont run with my phone .Anyhoo seems like a headband strap might be better,Lolol(joking):p

Last edited:

Jay Gloab

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Here is what I've been using for the past few years:
Amazon.com: Sport Armband for Samsung Galaxy S4 / S3 OtterBox Defender / Commuter Series Cases, also fits OtterBox Defender & Commuter Series Cases for Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Razr HD / Razr Maxx HD, Droid Razr M, and Moto X: Electronics
It really was designed for a phones with the headphone jack on the bottom, but I haven't had any issues with the plug sticking out of the top. The armband is wide enough that it doesn't get all twisted, and its large enough that I can slip my Moto X in there without taking the case off of it.
While it's not waterproof, it is pretty water resistant. I've not had any issues with rain, but I've got some condensation in there after long runs (more than 2 hours) on hot days from sweat building up on the back.

Thanks, I ran across that one but was a little put off by the reviews that indicated that the phone can get pretty damp from sweat.

Jay Gloab

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Yes, I listen to music while running, and use MapMyRun to track my runs via GPS. I'm also on call for work 24/7 so I like to have a phone with me.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
jujujeba.jpg
arm band would drive me nuts. I run everyday using this waste pack. It is so lite and small. Phone fits perfectly and very easy to put in and out while running.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

Jay Gloab

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
That makes sense. I use a GPS watch and an iPod shuffle. I never understood the desire to use your phone for GPS, unless you really want/need your phone while on a run.
Even if I weren't on call for work, I'd rather, where feasible, have one gadget that does it all than have multiple gadgets for multiple purposes, even though the one gadget might not do any particular task as well as something purpose-built for that one task. I don't have to deal with syncing my music with multiple devices, nor do I have to deal with syncing a GPS watch with my computer after a run.

rltripp

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I'm on call for work pretty much all the time, so I have to be able to at least answer my phone, and I can even remote into my work PC if I absolutely have to. I'm also going back to school so I can listen to lectures or podcasts during my long runs. I don't use the GPS, I have a Garmin watch for that. It's too much of a hassle to check pace and distance on your phone when it is on your arm. There is the peace of mind factor too. I'm usually running down very rural roads and trails many miles from civilization, and would hate to not be able to call someone if I break my leg out there.

Curious, since it is made for the headphone jack being on the bottom; can you just turn the band upside down?
If you flip it upside down, you run the chance of the phone slipping out of the armband. It's not very likely, but it's possible.

Thanks, I ran across that one but was a little put off by the reviews that indicated that the phone can get pretty damp from sweat.
That's a valid concern. Honestly, I've never had enough build up to get worried about it, but I can see where just having the condensation in there may make some people nervous.

rltripp

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Jay Gloab

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the 5K belt from Nathan.
Amazon.com: Nathan 5K Runner's Waist Pack, Black: Sports & Outdoors
Personally, I cant do a runners belt. I wish I could because they are much more practical, but I have flashbacks to when my mom made me wear a fanny pack all day for a field trip back in 1989. I swore I would never wear one again after that day.
Ha! I'm a dad, so my "give a f***" is permanently broken. Plus my runs are generally at 5 in the morning so nobody will see me anyway...

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Go to a sporting goods store,, they sell the runners waste pack.. They are so small,,, you wear it in front,, not on fanny

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!