Too late to get a Moto X?

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to upgrade with the AT&T next plan and I really like the moto x and also the lg g2, both are 22$ monthly. I'm leaning towards the moto x because of touch less controll and it's smaller but with a big screen...BUT I'm worried of the phone being old at this point (specs wise) especially later down the line. Should I still get the phone, is it worth it?

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to upgrade with the AT&T next plan and I really like the moto x and also the lg g2, both are 22$ monthly. I'm leaning towards the moto x because of touch less controll and it's smaller but with a big screen...BUT I'm worried of the phone being old at this point (specs wise) especially later down the line. Should I still get the phone, is it worth it?

I think the phone is def worth it. i got a new one 2 weeks ago. The moto x has an improved TRIM support so I don't think you will have to worry about it's performance down the road. If you like the phone get it, don't live in the future, live for now :D

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
The phone definitely isn't old at this point. And about the G2, I could never use that software. Sure, the hardware is beastly but my God...their software looks like a rip-off of the already-horrible Samsung TouchWiz.

Mark_Venture

Oct 30, 2009
mark.cdmaforums.com
If "age" is your only concern, I wouldn't let that stand in your way. The X is only about two months old (came out early Sept??). Even though phones these days seem to be on the shelves only for about 1yr before the replacement starts shipping, only being two months in isn't that bad. Its out long enough that the initial bugs have been shaken out, but not long enough so that you'd have a LONG WAIT until its replacement gets to market. The G2 came out for Verizon and ATT around Mid September, so its not much newer.

Moto has already announced KitKat is coming. I haven't really paid attention to the G2, so what has LG said officially about either 4.3 or 4.4 updates?

As you say the LG is bigger over all, but does have a bigger screen. Being bigger makes it more difficult to use via one hand only. To me the X is the perfect size. Its marginally taller and wider than my iPhone 5 and 5S, but still packs a 4.7 inch screen. It fits my hand well, and single handed use is a breeze without having to shift the phone around in my hand. It fits in my pants pocket without adding bulk or fear of sitting down with it in there. I thought my GS4 was too big in my pants pocket, and 100% single handed use was not possible due to its size, I had to shift the phone around a lot, yet the G2 is even bigger.

Despite concerns over specs posted by some on the internet, the X feels and reacts faster than my GS4. The screen also looks as sharp as my Galaxy S4, and the X has better reception (based on actual RSSI/RSSP values, not bars!) than my GS4.

The LG G2 maybe a beast when it comes to specs on paper, it may have come out more recently, however its size and UI are a deal breaker for me. But this is your decision, not mine. I've found the right phone for me, Last week I purchased the Developer Edition Moto X for Verizon.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I posted a similar post. I am considering getting one. It is being sold here in Mexico but I was worried about its specs.

Tapatalking on the N7....

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

You've got to be kidding me. The X is definitely not too old..what like it's been out 2 months? We're still gonna get kit kat and a lot of tweaks and improvements to the built in features such as assist, etc. I would say it will be a bit old when the 2nd iteration of this device appears...like in a year or so? As far as specs, who cares...the device is fast and smooth as silk

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I don't care what the hardware specs are, you are more likely to get an update from Motorola than LG. I mean, the Optimus G, which is nearly identical internals to a Nexus 4, is still on 4.1! The S4 in the X, while not a cutting edge processor, is still a very, very good processor that will be usable for a couple years, especially considering Google actually LOWERED the hardware requirments with KitKat.

TheBigBass

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Everyone has this thirst for better and better hardware, I think everyone needs to forget that. What do you do ton your phone that last year's flagships cannot do in an acceptable time frame. Those specs are just to show off to your friends, they do nothing for you.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has this thirst for better and better hardware, I think everyone needs to forget that. What do you do ton your phone that last year's flagships cannot do in an acceptable time frame. Those specs are just to show off to your friends, they do nothing for you.
I agree with this. At one point, having the absolute best hardware was really important because Android needed all the power you could throw at it. As hardware has gotten more and more powerful and Android has gotten more and more mature, having the most powerful hardware has gotten less and less important. We have reached a point where even a midrange phone can run Android with no problems. The Moto X, while not as powerful as other flagships, is more powerful than a midrange phone. In today's market, you should shop for a phone based on if it has features you want and will use, not if it has the best hardware. I mean, most people can't see pixels on a 720p 4.7" screen. 1080 sounds nice on a spec sheet, but is it really needed? Contrast ratio and color reproduction are what will make your screen look better, but 1080 is what consumers like to see on a spec sheet.

TheBigBass

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I mean, most people can't see pixels on a 720p 4.7" screen. 1080 sounds nice on a spec sheet, but is it really needed?

I pitted my Moto X against my friend's Note 3 and played the same 1080p video from youtube, it was a planet earth clip. There were moments particularly one were the camera flies overtop a forest where the Moto X had an incredibly crisp look. I'll post the clip below and from about 5:00 minutes to say about 8:00 minutes it was all eyes on the Moto X.

tedbearclaw

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Nope I wouldn't say you ate too late at . I switched from iPhone like a month ago and love it. Only thing I miss is imessage

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

sbmoore1

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from a RAZR m to the moto x yesterday. So far I'm loving the X. The way I've been using it would have the RAZR m near death but the X is awesome.

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
It still worth getting... trust me im a phone ***** but that S5 and M8 doesnt appealing to me.. soon I'll get moto x... why? because its the only.SMARTPHONE that has Touchless controll when the phone is on sleep mode! Now that is innovation!

Posted via Android Central App

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I think the phone is def worth it. i got a new one 2 weeks ago. The moto x has an improved TRIM support so I don't think you will have to worry about it's performance down the road. If you like the phone get it, don't live in the future, live for now :D

I also have had my phone for 2 or 3 weeks. It is the best phone I have ever used. I came from the higher specked Galaxy S4 and the moto x actually performs better. The only downside to the Moto X is that it's hard to decide what color combo to get on moto maker.

I would recommend paying the 400$ for the phone if you can afford it. In the long run it will save you a lot of money.

Sent from my LG-V510 using AC Forums mobile app

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I pitted my Moto X against my friend's Note 3 and played the same 1080p video from youtube, it was a planet earth clip. There were moments particularly one were the camera flies overtop a forest where the Moto X had an incredibly crisp look. I'll post the clip below and from about 5:00 minutes to say about 8:00 minutes it was all eyes on the Moto X.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2L2UGZJAM

I just compared that video on my Moto X and my GPad Google Play Edition side-by-side. They both played the video fantastically, but it just reminded me how the Moto X display shines. Despite the Moto x having a 720p display it looked clearer and like the refresh rate was a little higher than the G Pads IPS panel. The Moto X had more vibrant colors, brighter whites, and darker blacks. The G Pad GPE also seemed to have the tiniest bit of blur during the more motion intensive scenes.

Like I said before, both devices played the video beautifully, but the Moto X's display really stands out. Next I'll compare it to my Galaxy S4.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I just compared that video on my Moto X and my GPad Google Play Edition side-by-side. They both played the video fantastically, but it just reminded me how the Moto X display shines. Despite the Moto x having a 720p display it looked clearer and like the refresh rate was a little higher than the G Pads IPS panel. The Moto X had more vibrant colors, brighter whites, and darker blacks. The G Pad GPE also seemed to have the tiniest bit of blur during the more motion intensive scenes.

Like I said before, both devices played the video beautifully, but the Moto X's display really stands out. Next I'll compare it to my Galaxy S4.

Interesting especially since I thought LG was supposed to have outstanding displays. I really like the display on my Moto X but I don't have anything new to compare it to - just my old S3 and a 2012 Nexus 7. I prefer the vibrant display of the X over either of those.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your impressions of the X vs the S4.

caanda45

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Interesting especially since I thought LG was supposed to have outstanding displays. I really like the display on my Moto X but I don't have anything new to compare it to - just my old S3 and a 2012 Nexus 7. I prefer the vibrant display of the X over either of those.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your impressions of the X vs the S4.

I have/had the HTC One M7 (just sold it) and now the SGS4 (selling it tomorrow) and my daily driver is the Moto X. It is the canadian variant, I unlocked the boot loader/rooted it and unlocked it. Love it, the screen is great but the real outstanding features are the active notifications and touch less control. I will only have the Moto as of tomorrow and will wait to get the Moto X +1....I hope it is every bit as good as the X!!!!!

X vs the S4, hands down the X is better, camera on the S4 is better, but what I mentioned above is the key and until you use it you may not know what I mean. Simple for me, sold all the others and have kept the X!!!

andog88

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I just got it today guys and i am LOVING it! I had like 3 motorola software updates (2 post kitkat) which tells me Motorola is quick on updates unlike Samsung or LG which I used up until now. It feels like i have an iphone in my hand from the size but the screen size of the htc one but wider! Loving this phone !

limitbreak09

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I just got it today guys and i am LOVING it! I had like 3 motorola software updates (2 post kitkat) which tells me Motorola is quick on updates unlike Samsung or LG which I used up until now. It feels like i have an iphone in my hand from the size but the screen size of the htc one but wider! Loving this phone !

Post a pic of ur fone :)

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty