Better battery life with dev edition?

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Like most of you I wasn't able to cash in on the original Cyber Monday deal. I saw the dev edition was available and pulled the trigger figuring I could sell it or gift it if I didn't like it. In the meantime the codes came back out and I was able to grab a maker edition. I have been too lazy to switch off my other phone so I have just been messing with the phones. I thought I noticed a battery life difference so I started testing it out. I can't explain why but it appears the dev edition has way better standby life than the maker edition. Could it be that I have a battery that isn't up to snuff in the maker? My test is pretty simple. Set them up the same as far as I can tell. Charge them up. Turn the off and boot them up at the same time. After that just lay them face down and monitor battery life and CPU sleeping. Is there something here I am not seeing?

Dev on the left. Maker on the right.

The results
Screenshot_2013-12-28-23-51-09.pngScreenshot_2013-12-28-23-51-18.png
Screenshot_2013-12-29-12-47-27.pngScreenshot_2013-12-29-12-47-30.png
Screenshot_2013-12-28-13-48-28.pngScreenshot_2013-12-28-13-48-31.png
Screenshot_2013-12-31-03-09-44.pngScreenshot_2013-12-31-03-09-54.png

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I had just read a thread with this link in it. I have always heard that battery calibration was not needed anymore. That being said, I am currently still playing youtube videos to try to kill the thing. It has been over 1 hour and 20 minutes of YouTube on 2% battery.:p

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If they both really are set up the exact same way, and I mean perfectly identical (even app settings) then I'd say the battery in your moto maker unit is somewhat defective...which leaves me dirty saying that because it's still pretty awesome battery life. :p

I mean, your Moto Maker edition spent more time at higher frequencies, and that's going to make a difference, I just don't know if it's going to make a 25% difference (53% vs 28%).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I would let it die and calibrate itself.. My N4 and Moto X did the same.. it took few charge cycle to bring it back to its pure awesomeness

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes. It is still playing a YouTube video at 1% Something is definitely not right with it. Hopefully when it dies it will figure out where zero really is after a charge.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It definitely could be confused at where the "end point" is for the battery. Valid statements indeed. I updated to Kit Kat out of the box fully charged. My perceived battery life improved over the next full week (7 days). What I mean is that the device never died on me, but with similar use I ended almost every day with a little more juice. Draining it completely then charging it completely is definitely the fastest way to get to that point.

Granted, any new device or ROM install can take a day or two to settle in. These are computers after all.

I guess you could test it by letting them both sit there and run down completely. I remember the first time I put an extended battery in my old original Galaxy S, the first few times it drained down all the way it would get to 5% and stay there forever!

I haven't thought about that in years. Disregard my thoughtless statement about the chance its a defective battery. That statement is most likely noise and thoughtless noob - like spam at the worst. Sorry man!

Posted via Android Central App

rxnelson

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Just to follow-up I discharged both versions completely and recharged them while off. They are both hanging around the same percentage now and I'll keep an eye on it. I'm getting about 1%/hr drain on both devices with no sim, wifi only synching 1 google account.

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Just to follow-up I discharged both versions completely and recharged them while off. They are both hanging around the same percentage now and I'll keep an eye on it. I'm getting about 1%/hr drain on both devices with no sim, wifi only synching 1 google account.

1% /hr drain at idle face down is pretty much what I get on my Dev edition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38