What is the big deal about Motomaker if you use a case?

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
No case here because I love the phone as is, but I do have motorola insurance on the phone. I may at some point use it to get a new phone.

Posted via Android Central App

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I just have a simple Black front, Navy Blue back, blue buttons. Simple. I don't like a case but their is clear cases and bumpers, and even if you choose to use a design case for a little, yours is still under it. Why buy a limited edition console or handheld design, well because it makes the device special to you.

I don't sell my phones, pretty much every single phone i have had, I still have it. I only get a new phone when my past one is outdated and slowing down, with the Moto X's optimzations, and the new trim thing, i imangine having it for a while. And as for the engraving and stealing, if you / police do catch the theif, or if its taken by a classmate or something a little less drastic, you can prove its yours.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Most people do not sell phones that are only six months to a year old. I've met far more people who wait out their contracts before upgrading or who hang onto their phone for a much longer time than the length of their contract.

I meet people in my personal life that have no desire to upgrade from Gingerbread or BBOS 5 and don't want anything to do with new phones but that's just because I don't hang with a techy crowd but that doesn't mean the rest of society is the same. Check out how many threads there are with people trading in their 6 month old phone for the newest thing on the market. Or people asking if they should buy an HTC One even though it's "so old" now. Check out the sales of HTC One and other phones that came out at the same time with the reason given, "because I'm upgrading to a new phone".

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Check out how many threads there are with people trading in their 6 month old phone for the newest thing on the market. Or people asking if they should buy an HTC One even though it's "so old" now.

Threads where? At tech sites?

Again, far from representative of "most" people.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Threads where? At tech sites?

Again, far from representative of "most" people.

Threads on this forum. You don't have to believe me or agree with me. Buy yourself a totally customized, engraved Moto X, an expensive case and have a good time.

Just curious.........What's your phone history, ultravisitor? Is the Moto X the first new phone in a few years?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to use anything other than a clear case it is pretty silly to customize the phone. I haven't understood why it's a big deal to anyone since launch day.

Phones are pretty much a disposable item today. The next new and improved model is out before you know it and most people (especially those that frequent phone forums) sell their old phones and buy new ones. By "old", I mean 6 months to a year old because that is how long it takes for your phone to be considered "old and outdated". If you are going to sell your old phone, chances are you will get more money for it if it's not totally customized. Putting your name on it is really something that will lower the resale value of anything and if your phone is stolen, the thief has a phone with your name on it. No big deal for someone that receives the phone free of charge. If you plan on keeping your phone and using it on a daily basis throughout a 2 year contract I suppose it makes more sense.
I'm moderately active on these forums, at least, for a while after I get a new phone. I seem to get a new phone every 2.5 years or so. I've never sold a phone -- I still have a working Treo. So I'm really not worried about resale value. And my guess is that phones are lost at least as often as they are stolen, and putting my email address on the back of the phone seems like an easy way to facilitate getting it back, should an honest person find it.

I don't think the personalization is a big deal, but it's sort of fun. I kinda like looking at the hot-pink trim and thinking "I picked that". Of course, I don't use a case, either. If you plan to keep the phone, and don't tend to drop it, it's not a huge deal if it gets a little scratch or something.

aaimbrogno

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
That's what I thought, so I wasn't using a case and dropped my phone and got a chip in the top. :-( I don't know why Verizond kent offer completely clear cases for this phone, so I got one on Amazon for $6. It's cheap quality obviously but it does protect the phone and you can see all the colors! I just wish I could find a higher quality one somewhere.

Edited to say the phone was a gift and it was nice to receive something personalized from someone.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Right. The opinions of smartphone addicts, not the general public or "most" people.

It looks like the word "most" threw you for a loop. I should have used "generally speaking...." or something easier for you to understand.
Don't want to beat a dead horse but the people posting, wondering if they should buy an "old and outdated" phone like the HTC One are not smart phone addicts. "Generally speaking" they are people with low post counts that search the internet for info and land here.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It looks like the word "most" threw you for a loop. I should have used "generally speaking...." or something easier for you to understand.
Don't want to beat a dead horse but the people posting, wondering if they should buy an "old and outdated" phone like the HTC One are not smart phone addicts. "Generally speaking" they are people with low post counts that search the internet for info and land here.

And...how does that prove your assertion that people generally abandon their phones after those phones are six months to a year old? Just because people are wondering whether they should buy an older phone does not mean that they are looking to replace their phone after the phone is only six months to a year old, which is what you initially claimed: "most people (especially those that frequent phone forums) sell their old phones and buy new ones. By 'old', I mean 6 months to a year old because that is how long it takes for your phone to be considered 'old and outdated'."

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am seriously considering a Moto X for my first smartphone (finally), and was just wondering what the big deal about shell customization is if you are just going to use a case anyway?

I guess some people may not use a case but I would be going on AT&T prepaid and can't imagine not putting a case on a phone I just laid out $400 for, but I would also put one on a phone I would have to pay good money to replace if I was on contract.

Looks like a great phone other than non-replaceable battery (serious flaw, should be mandatory in every phone) and non-expandable memory.

If you are still on the fence , this might help. On Jan 27th the X is going on sale for $100 off the first hour of the sale then $75 after that . Details are posted in another thead

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
And...how does that prove your assertion that people generally abandon their phones after those phones are six months to a year old? Just because people are wondering whether they should buy an older phone does not mean that they are looking to replace their phone after the phone is only six months to a year old, which is what you initially claimed: "most people (especially those that frequent phone forums) sell their old phones and buy new ones. By 'old', I mean 6 months to a year old because that is how long it takes for your phone to be considered 'old and outdated'."

It sounds to me like someone regrets buying a customized Moto X with their name engraved on it and is trying to convince themselves it was a good decision...........

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like someone regrets buying a customized Moto X with their name engraved on it...........

What the hell are you talking about? What makes you think that? I don't regret it one bit. I LOVE that my loud, pink phone has my name on it. I don't give a **** about resale value because I HAVE NEVER SOLD ANY OF MY OLD PHONES. I still have all of them.

You're really good at unqualified assumptions. You seem to think that your ideas about phone ownership apply to most everyone else.

Either that, or you are just a troll.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds to me like someone regrets buying a customized Moto X with their name engraved on it and is trying to convince themselves it was a good decision...........

You're not even trying to support your own initial argument anymore. At this point, you're just trolling. Consider yourself reported.

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You're not even trying to support your own initial argument anymore. At this point, you're just trolling. Consider yourself reported.

Why would you be so sensitive? I didn't think your feelings would be hurt by my sarcastic remark. You don't get what I'm saying and it seems to me that you are just trying to convince yourself that what I'm saying has no merit. What is so trolling about that? Do you really want me to continue trying to make my point about people replacing their phones frequently? You don't agree with me. Ok... buck up and move on.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You don't get what I'm saying and it seems to me that you are just trying to convince yourself that what I'm saying has no merit. What is so trolling about that? Do you really want me to continue trying to make my point about people replacing their phones frequently?

I understand what you're saying entirely. You just haven't proven it in any way. Why can't you focus on that instead of going ad hominem? "buck up and move on"? Why not do that yourself if you can't prove your own assertion?

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
i have to agree with that other guy - i think if you took a poll, most people on these forums get new phones every year or less. i know i do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa