Ordering a Moto X...16 or 32 gig?

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I?m ordering a Moto X tomorrow as I was able to get a $100 code from Motorola on the 27th. I?m trying to decide on the 16 or 32 gig memory. Looking at my current phone a SG3 with 16 gig I?m using 6 gig of internal memory. My pics and Google music take up 2 gigs of my 32 gig external memory. I read that I?ll have access to 50 gig of Google storage for 2 years so I?m thinking a Moto X with 16 gig should work well for me. Then again it?s just 50 bucks more for a Moto X with 32 gig. I?m completely over thinking this now.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Ordering a Moto x...16 or 32 gig?

here's how I'd look at it.

IF YOU:
are on a limited financial budget,
don't need much on-board storage, OR
can use the cloud easily (unlimited data and/or lots of wifi access) 16GB should be fine.

Then again, if the $50 is no problem, go for the 32GB - even if you don't need it, use the cloud lots, or whatever. There's never such a thing as having TOO MUCH on board space, but it's possible to run out of space.

Personally, I've got 16gb on my phone, and normally use about 9GB total - I've bumped into the upper limit a couple times, but generally I offload photos fairly regularly, and I don't keep much music onboard - maybe 4GB worth or so. If I had 32 I could be far more free with what I put on there, but for me it's normally not a big deal. Its only happened a couple times where I REALLY wanted more space. I manage fine, but yeah it wouldn't hurt to have the extra space either!

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site

I’m ordering a Moto X tomorrow as I was able to get a $100 code from Motorola on the 27th. I’m trying to decide on the 16 or 32 gig memory. Looking at my current phone a SG3 with 16 gig I’m using 6 gig of internal memory. My pics and Google music take up 2 gigs of my 32 gig external memory. I read that I’ll have access to 50 gig of Google storage for 2 years so I’m thinking a Moto X with 16 gig should work well for me. Then again it’s just 50 bucks more for a Moto X with 32 gig. I’m completely over thinking this now.

Any thoughts?
My 32GB came with a little more than 24GB available storage on it on it out of the box. For only $50 more, the 32GB is a no brainer.

I am on Verizon so a bunch of Verizon bloatware is on my phone. I plan on unlocking my Dev Ed soon, which will wipe it and then I will root it and remove the bloatware to see how much the phone has available.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

here's how I'd look at it.

IF YOU:
are on a limited financial budget,
don't need much on-board storage, OR
can use the cloud easily (unlimited data and/or lots of wifi access) 16GB should be fine.

Then again, if the $50 is no problem, go for the 32GB - even if you don't need it, use the cloud lots, or whatever. There's never such a thing as having TOO MUCH on board space, but it's possible to run out of space.

Personally, I've got 16gb on my phone, and normally use about 9GB total - I've bumped into the upper limit a couple times, but generally I offload photos fairly regularly, and I don't keep much music onboard - maybe 4GB worth or so. If I had 32 I could be far more free with what I put on there, but for me it's normally not a big deal. Its only happened a couple times where I REALLY wanted more space. I manage fine, but yeah it wouldn't hurt to have the extra space either!

Agreed. If money is no problem, spring for the 32. Even if you don't need the extra space, it will increase your resale value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

younger996

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

Better to be lookin' at it, than lookin' for it!!

Tapatalked from my G PAD 8.3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm totally fine with 16GB.

Posted via Android Central App

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. If money is no problem, spring for the 32. Even if you don't need the extra space, it will increase your resale value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I'm going to go for the 32 gig for 50 bucks more. It's going to be a Verizon off contract Moto X so for the 1st time in more than a decade I'm not going to feel Verizon's hand in my wallet which is one of the reasons why I like the Moto X. A really nice phone for the money....not to mention an additional 100 bucks off coupon.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I've got 14gb used on my 32gb Moto X with 12gb still available. So if I had only 11gb available on the 16gb phone, I'd already have to manage memory on my 2 month old phone.

I like knowing there's tons of space still available. I'll probably want to go through and clean up things periodically, but I can do it when I want to, not when the device needs me to.

Sent from my Moto X

asdrew

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Moto X is the first device without an SD slot I've been willing to get, and I had a 16gb first without significant issue.

However, I prefer to keep a jillion pix on my device and don't delete/transfer them as often as I should, so I bumped up to the limit on a recent trip and had to delete a few gb's worth.

So when I just got a new one, I figured the extra $50 was like paying for a 16gb card added to 16gb internal and decided that it wasn't too far out of line.

Now I have 32gb and don't have to consider whether I have enough space or not.

Rick Jacobs

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Bought my Verizon off contract Moto X with 32 gig this morning....Turquoise/Black/Purple