Accidental Call Dialing on the Moto X

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday, my Moto X dialed a friend of mine without my knowledge (it is in the outgoing call log). This is a first for the Moto X. I had used it to briefly look up a web page prior to the spurious dial. I think I closed the browser and I am certain that I used the power button to lock the phone afterwards. Assuming it was in fact in my pocket and locked, I can't envision a sequence of accidental actions that would have called him. He was not the most recent outgoing call I made, so this was not a re-dial. And he is not the first entry in the contacts list.

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Paul

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yesterday, my Moto X dialed a friend of mine without my knowledge (it is in the outgoing call log). This is a first for the Moto X. I had used it to briefly look up a web page prior to the spurious dial. I think I closed the browser and I am certain that I used the power button to lock the phone afterwards. Assuming it was in fact in my pocket and locked, I can't envision a sequence of accidental actions that would have called him. He was not the most recent outgoing call I made, so this was not a re-dial. And he is not the first entry in the contacts list.

Anyone else noticed anything similar?

Paul

This has happened to me as well ,its been a month ago .I don't have any screen lock on my phone though. I thought it was odd as well.It hasn't been a major issue for me and just happened that one time. I dont know what caused it to happen either .

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
It has happened to me. I use a pattern as a screen lock now. I only had slide as a lock when it happened. It was in my pocket and I guess I was moving around and activated the camera by shaking it. It opened a few apps through the recent app history button and called the last person I had dialed. Now with a pattern, it will occasionally launch the camera, but that is all. Not sure if this is what happened to you, it's just my experience with this.

Posted via Android Central App

Cane Prevost

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I've had this issue as well. Twice last week I had a voicemail from myself. Even more annoying is that mine will sometimes launch pandora. I'll suddenly notice that my pants pocket is playing music. When i take my phone out Pandora is launched and playing. Hasn't happened often enough for me to troubleshoot what's happening though.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I don't have a screen lock enabled so that may be all or some of the issue....

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't know for sure what led up to it. But no, I don't have a pattern unlock.... just slide to unlock. I had forgotten that the shake to activate camera feature might be the key to turning the thing on in my pocket. I really hate the bother of having to use a pattern or PIN to answer the phone.

I did have a look in the Gsam power log and it does not look like the ACCIDENTAL dial incident was preceded or followed by the screen being on. But it was on for three hours FOLLOWING that. I'm assuming that was because the guy I ACCIDENTALLY called called me back and since I was busy, I ignored the call. That was in effect an in-pocket "missed call" and caused the screen to turn on and remain unlocked for the next three hours until I answered an incoming call.

This is most annoying and I was under the impression that it was resolved with KK 4.4. I guess not. Oh, I'm running Dalvik, just in case that matters.

Paul

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
It has happened to me. I use a pattern as a screen lock now. I only had slide as a lock when it happened. It was in my pocket and I guess I was moving around and activated the camera by shaking it.

Exactly what happened to me. A pattern screen lock eliminated this annoyance.

I really hate the bother of having to use a pattern or PIN to answer the phone.

You DO NOT have to unlock to take a call.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it has happened to me. Mostly after a call X dials someone else.
Might be something stupid on my part or a bug.
Don't know how or why.

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Just a final FWIW.... while I don't like the fact that I have to use something other than "slide to unlock", I programmed a pattern unlock that is almost as easy and transparent to use as a slide.... across the top and then down the right side (I'm right handed). This should solve the issue, as well as the "in-pocket missed call leaves phone unlocked" issue. For now, anyway.

And no, you don't have to enter the unlock pattern to answer the phone, so that is good.

Paul

David Bauers

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same situation a few times. I would hang up from a call by pressing the red "hang up" button, then just place the phone down on a table. A couple minutes later a friend of mine would call me and say, "Hey, what's up. You just called me." I didn't have the speed dial screen or the phone in my pocket, so I couldn't couldn't diagnose this as a "pocket dial", so what gives? However, the two people it seems to happen to are the first 2 people on my speed dial list. Is it possibly a virus?

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same situation a few times. I would hang up from a call by pressing the red "hang up" button, then just place the phone down on a table. A couple minutes later a friend of mine would call me and say, "Hey, what's up. You just called me." I didn't have the speed dial screen or the phone in my pocket, so I couldn't couldn't diagnose this as a "pocket dial", so what gives? However, the two people it seems to happen to are the first 2 people on my speed dial list. Is it possibly a virus?

I sincerely doubt it is a virus or anything of the sort. I have had this happen 2 or 3 times in the almost 11 months I've had this phone. I believe every time its happened is due to me not locking my phone when I put it in my pocket. I think it's probably something we are doing..not necessarily the phone itself.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I suggest you hit the home button after you hang up. If you don't, you are still on the dialing screen and an inadvertent touch could initiate a call.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've had the phone accidentally dial a few times. Now I use pattern unlock but I also have the phone automatically lock itself when I hit the power button. Now it's become habit to hit the power button. No more accidental dialing.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Was happening to me a lot. Changed to pattern unlock from swipe. Now it still on occasion tries to emergency dial. Seems to happen mostly when the phone gets hot and my leg gets hot. It hasn't do e it since 4.4.4 but its only been a few days.

Posted via Android Central App and my Moto X

jonmac37

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah this happened to me too, I accidentally called the first speed dial contact.

It's because of that stupid android update, it makes these huge squares for the speed dial contacts, and it's really easy to accidentally hit one of those. I dropped my phone and when I was fumbling around trying to pick it up, it called. Another time it just called in my pocket.

I can understand the logic of having the big squares, to help with the "speed" part of speed dial, but here are the problems I have with it:

1) You can't choose who your speed dial contacts are. It just automatically chooses for you
2) You can't adjust the size of the speed dial squares. I think having them that big is overkill....and obviously, it's causing people to accidentally dial.
2) You can't choose to turn the speed dial function OFF. Personally, I don't need speed dial, or want it. But it's automatically there whenever I tap the phone icon to call someone. Very frustrating!

I called Verizon to see if there was any way I could change it, and the tech guy said there was unfortunately no way to do it. Lame! They need to update this, and PRONTO. I've accidentally called my speed dial contacts twice now, so this is a pretty significant problem.

bwanicur

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
I've been using smart phones for about 7 years at least and I've never had as many problems with "pocket dials" as I do with the Moto-X. My problem always seems to be as mentioned above, I finish a call and then place the phone down. Obviously I'm accidentally hitting something because I often notice it's making another outbound call. Maybe this phone is more sensitive ?

I know you *should* go back to the home screen after making a call, but that is not a great solution. Anyone have a suggestion about a setting or perhaps an app that might help prevent these pocket dials ?

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
My solution was to turn on the security setting in which pressing the power button instantly locks the phone (I use pattern lock). No more accidental calls or anything of the like.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been using smart phones for about 7 years at least and I've never had as many problems with "pocket dials" as I do with the Moto-X. My problem always seems to be as mentioned above, I finish a call and then place the phone down. Obviously I'm accidentally hitting something because I often notice it's making another outbound call. Maybe this phone is more sensitive ?

I know you *should* go back to the home screen after making a call, but that is not a great solution. Anyone have a suggestion about a setting or perhaps an app that might help prevent these pocket dials ?

I posted in here quite a few months ago about this, but I can update that now. I was having that problem a lot. Calls and apps starting in my pocket. It stopped when I put a pattern lock on my phone. About a month ago, I took the pattern lock off. Half of the reason was just for a change and the other half was to see if this would happen again because I was talking to a coworker about this very issue. With the pattern lock off, it started again. Not quite as bad as before, but at least 4 times in a few days. I'm convinced that it's the shake to start feature on the camera, which I love and refuse to turn off. I'm back to a pattern lock now with no pocket "stuff" happening for 3 weeks. Just thought I'd throw my experience in since this thread was bumped.

Strange that it was just a week ago that I thought about finding an old thread on this and posting my experience.

Good luck!

verdant11

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
It's because of that stupid android update, it makes these huge squares for the speed dial contacts, and it's really easy to accidentally hit one of those. I dropped my phone and when I was fumbling around trying to pick it up, it called. Another time it just called in my pocket.

I can understand the logic of having the big squares, to help with the "speed" part of speed dial, but here are the problems I have with it:

This is exactly my problem--I'm almost scared to go to phone icon, because this thing has a mind of it's own. I have called my brother in law and hung up quickly when I realized...today, it called my sister's line and her husband answered so I had to explain this decades-old problem to him.

I cleared the "frequent contacts" list but the last embarrassing "speed dial square" is waiting there for me to accidentally knock into it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch