Question about Verizon Data Networks

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all -- quick question. My home internet has been out the last couple of days, so I have been forced to use the cellular network for data. Unfortunately, my home is in something of a dead spot and I usually get 1-2 bars when I have the phone on 4g/LTE. I installed the LTE On/Off app and tried switching to 3g. This was not very helpful. My signal was still extraordinarily weak and my battery drained much faster than normal. Finally, I used the LTE On/Off app to use only CDMA (1x) and the signal (and battery life) was MUCH better. To experiment, I switched between 4g/LTE and 1x during my train ride this morning and my signal was much better on 1x. I would usually be between -60 and -85 on CDMA and between -85 and -110 on LTE.

Seeing as how the 3g, 4g, and LTE technology is so much newer than CDMA, why is reception so much better on CDMA?

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
4G = LTE on Verizon. I'm sure this has to do with the frequencies and equipment on the towers. I don't know enough about the different technologies and their requirements to give a good answer though. Hopefully someone with a better understanding of how it works can give some input.