G Voice, Hangouts, and Moto Assist

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So Google Voice texts get forwarded to Hangouts now. I was really excited because I thought Moto Assist will read my G Voice texts to me in the car.

However, it seems Google Voice texts received by Hangouts are not recognized by Moto Assist. I'm disappointed. Hopefully, making this work is in progress.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you gone into Settings > Active display > Select apps and checked Hangouts? I just sent a GV sms from my tablet to my Moto X and I received a voice prompt to listen to the text, which I did, and was offered an option to reply. All by voice, I never touched the phone. I just did the GV/Hangouts merge thing recently and switched from 8sms to Hangouts.

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I just looked and Hangouts is checked. So that wasn't the problem. I think Active Display is separate from Moto Assist though.

If you got it to work, maybe there is hope yet. Hopefully, we can figure this out.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you gone into Settings > Active display > Select apps and checked Hangouts? I just sent a GV sms from my tablet to my Moto X and I received a voice prompt to listen to the text, which I did, and was offered an option to reply. All by voice, I never touched the phone. I just did the GV/Hangouts merge thing recently and switched from 8sms to Hangouts.
You are not using the stock messenger app and have switched to completely hangouts?

I just looked and Hangouts is checked. So that wasn't the problem. I think Active Display is separate from Moto Assist though.

If you got it to work, maybe there is hope yet. Hopefully, we can figure this out.
Maybe switch from stock messenger app and have hangouts handle sms ?

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You are not using the stock messenger app and have switched to completely hangouts?

Maybe switch from stock messenger app and have hangouts handle sms ?

Yes, I am using Hangouts. G Voice texts are received by Hangouts, but Moto Assist will not read them. Moto Assist reads texts sent to my Tmobile number though.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
sounds like you use the stock messenger to get text messages from your t-mobile number. Try switching your tmobile number text to be defaulted through hangouts.

I'm not sure if it will work but worth a shot

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I misunderstood your issue. Do you mean that texts to your GV number that are forwarded to Hangouts on the phone don't activate voice options? My first reply was that I sent a GV text to my phone and I was notified of a Hangouts text. I'll try sending something to my GV number and see if it gets picked up by Hangouts on my phone and let you know.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, I just sent a text to my GV number and received it on my phone in Hangouts on the Active display voice notification. Listened to it and cancelled the reply. So it does work. I also looked and have Google Voice checked in Active Display selected apps along with Hangouts and stock Messenger. Maybe that makes a difference.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Texting my GV number does not read aloud via moto assist. I just tried. Did not work

Idk how groid is getting it to work

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've got sprint integration and the hangouts thing is a bit confusing when it comes to voicemail. First of all I deselected the phone dialer option and the email option for voicemails because it gets pretty annoying to have three different notifications for one voicemail. Also, although I get a text notification of a voicemail in hangouts, for some reason I can't play the voicemails in hangouts, even though there is a triangle "play" icon next to the message. Anyone know what's up with that?

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Texting my GV number does not read aloud via moto assist. I just tried. Did not work
Idk how groid is getting it to work
Ok, here is exactly what I have done. I did the Hangouts/Voice merge process after the recent updates. I went into Active display select apps settings and unchecked 8sms (my previous default text app) and checked Hangouts, Messenger (stock), and Voice. I opened Hangouts on my X and composed a small text to my google voice number. I sent the text and immediately touched the power button to turn off the screen. About two seconds later I got the display and verbal notification of the text and was able to listen to and offered to reply to the text.

Also, tried sending text from GVoice on my tablet to my GV number but mistyped and sent to another number. The recipient texted back 'who is this?' to my GVoice number and it came up as an active voice notification on my phone and I was able to reply about my wrong number. So it seems to work.

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I did differently is unchecking my old SMS app (Evolve) from Active Notifications. I will try again tonight and report.

Thanks for the detailed steps.

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I just followed all the steps that Groid did, but I still could not get Assist to read the text to me.

When I said, "Ok Google, What's up?", it read me the text message though. It's an ok workaround in the car, but it doesn't give me an option to reply right away.

DJB628

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Figured I post this issue here also, I posted on Google also to see what they say, any suggestion.

OK, I have the new version of Hangouts on my Moto X with the Hangouts dialer. I am able to make calls with no issues, but when I get a voicemail to the GV account that I have it signed into I cannot listen to the voicemails, when I press on the triangle is does nothing for 5 seconds then it says unable to load, I have uninstalled, cleared cache, and also deleted data, still does not work. Any other suggestions you recommend I am on Android 4.4

I only have that one account signed in to Hangout, I did not confirm my mobile number, don't know if that is the issue, but it should not be suggestions I'm all ears.

Don B.