first day with moto x

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I recieved my moto x this morning. First impressions are as follows:

Positives:
Great screen, solid build, fast and fluid ui, good call quality and speaker.

Cons:

The screen is to big for one handed use. It's slippery and uncomfortable (I loved the size of the previous generation).

The camera is underwhelming. It has problems focusing. I used an iPhone 6 for a few days and it's camera is light years ahead of the moto x.

I am thinking about returning this moto x and picking up an iPhone 6.
I prefer android os over iOS but it's tempting because the iPhone 6s size is perfect at 4.7 inches. It also has a superior and consistent camera and battery life seems to be better than nexus 5 (old phone) or the moto x.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

ktcred

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue (originally looked at the new Moto X, but bailed after the size revealed). I went with the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and love it so far. Give it a look if you would rather stay on Android. I, too, considered the iPhone 6; So far, I'm happy that I stayed with Android.

K_MAC

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm really having a hard time with all of the size comparisons between the 2nd Gen Moto X and the iPhone 6. The difference is negligible to me and Moto makes far better use of screen size vs overall phone size. Yes the iPhone is 4.7" (which is apparently the perfect size) but the footprint is huge considering.

To me the Moto X is much easier to hold without a case. I don't feel like I have to hold it with two hands to keep from dropping it. When I picked up my wife's iPhone 6 I put it back in the box quickly in the store from fear of instant destruction. Both phones feel better with a case to me.

I can't use the iPhone one handed either, maybe you can.

iPhone 6 camera wins hands down but I'm not planning to use the new Moto X to rocket my new photography company to the top.

If you like the iPhone 6 better that's cool. I came from a 4S and can never see myself going back to iOS.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
You're right about the size difference between the iPhone 6 and the Moto X. I held my 1st Gen X (4.7 in screen) up to a iPhone 6 (4.7 inch screen) and the iPhone is considerably larger.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I get mine today (Moto X) so I am looking forward to putting it through a few days to see how it does. I have an iPhone 6+ and it is growing on me. Still have a mint Nexus 5 as well for my android fix, but I loved the OG Moto X and had to try out the 2nd generation. Not sure we should have to deal with mediocre cameras at this day and age. The iPhone camera is pretty simple and takes great pictures.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I prefer android os over iOS but it's tempting because the iPhone 6s size is perfect at 4.7 inches.

I can't argue with the camera.. the Moto X camera is lacking, but hopefully updates fix the random focus issue.

As for the size. While the Moto X screen is 5.2 inches or whatever, the buttons are on screen, so when you measure what screen is left, it's actually under 5" and since it doesn't have the super huge bezel that the iPhone 6 has, I bet there isn't much of a difference.

Plus Apple still makes icons line up starting at the top of the screen so you are constantly stretching for those top row apps. It's always bugged the heck out of me.

marka87uk

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
As for the size. While the Moto X screen is 5.2 inches or whatever, the buttons are on screen, so when you measure what screen is left, it's actually under 5" and since it doesn't have the super huge bezel that the iPhone 6 has, I bet there isn't much of a difference.

There isn't much difference at all.

Apple-iPhone-6-vs-Motorola-Moto-X-2014-TI.jpg

drew_sf

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I thought at the 6 launch they showed how you could swipe and get the top row icons lower and accessible to the thumb.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought at the 6 launch they showed how you could swipe and get the top row icons lower and accessible to the thumb.

I think they did. Which was funny because all the Apple fanboys were mocking the Note 4's one handed mode and then Apple comes out with something kinda like it. So funny.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Whoever owns that iPhone 6 needs to check his email.

I agree, but I see that all the time. It seems like whenever I see someone's iPhone screen on a forum or a review they have hundreds, if not thousands of unread emails. I mean, if you don't use the account just remove it.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but I see that all the time. It seems like whenever I see someone's iPhone screen on a forum or a review they have hundreds, if not thousands of unread emails. I mean, if you don't use the account just remove it.

"That would be user customization against Apple Terms of Service" -- Tim Cook, probably.