Am I nuts to want to re-order a Moto X

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
To a certain degree the Moto X was growing on me but I got frustrated over the battery life. I was also thinking that with the Droid Turbo coming out, that would be the machine to get so, I returned the unit. The Droid Turbo is not seeming all that attractive to me right now with all the issues and assortment of accessories and such. Now I am pondering whether I should order the Moto X again and give it more time and whether the battery problem should be fixed with the Android L.

Am I crazy? I really do not want the Nexus 6 because its too darn big. I currently have a Note 3 right now which is big enough.

Oct 18, 2013
www.facebook.com
Do it, you aren't crazy. I'm less than thrilled with the battery life but I absolutely love the rest of this phone! I am tempted by the Nexus 6 but I think the size kills it for me, the X is the perfect size for me.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Moto X is a solid device. It's not crazy to want it again.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I won't get into the type of phone or OS but will pass along that the Nexus 6 isn't as big as you think. I am using the Nokia 1520, 6" phone. I thought the same as you that a 6" phone would be much too large. I gave it a try and after a day or so, I couldn't consider going back to a smaller screen. Depending on the carrier, you have a few days to try out a phone and then return it. I would encourage you to try the Nexus 6 and see for yourself how it feels and works for you.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
@tech_fan Enough to drive you nuts, isn't it? Every time I'm leaning one way something pulls me back the other way. I have to make a decision in 48 hours. Sigh...

If I may ask, what exactly troubles you about the Turbo? The only issue I see is that battery performance is all over the place. Even so, with only one exception they're all outperforming the X.

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand. Is subpar battery life an intermittent problem? I ask because my Moto X is the first phone I can use all day without charging since my BB Torch. And I use it heavy for music, internet, emailing, and videos all day.
EDIT: I'm wondering...Do those with poor battery life have branded phones? I have a Pure Edition.

Last edited:

cbsevenfifty

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Sent my Moto X back and they haven't refunded the money yet, they are literally going to take all of the 10 fricken days they require to reverse a credit card charge and the 10th day is Wednesday... unreal. If I would have ordered from Amazon I would have saw my money 7 days ago.

Anyways, I was initially planning on reordering a Moto X, but now I'm thinking I'm going to hold out a bit to see if the AT&T version of the Turbo that passed through the FCC is released in the next few weeks. If so, I'm going to get that. IMO, there is really no reason to get the X unless you only need 16GB and prefer the look of it. The Turbo has all of the same software features and if you ended up with a 32GB wood/leather backed X, then it's only $25 more on contract.

Here's to hoping Verizon doesn't have a Nokia Iconesque exclusive on the phone.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
@tech_fan Enough to drive you nuts, isn't it? Every time I'm leaning one way something pulls me back the other way. I have to make a decision in 48 hours. Sigh...

If I may ask, what exactly troubles you about the Turbo? The only issue I see is that battery performance is all over the place. Even so, with only one exception they're all outperforming the X.

Concerns for me are accessory assortment. The ballistic nylon that I like, I would want it to be naked but some are stating that the threads are coming out which I was warned of that at the Verizon store. The Droid Turbo only comes in 2 varieties, red and black. If you go the 64gb, you get black and that is it. The Motorola Fling or Flick software is not that appealing either. I had the Moto X for about 2 days, long story, but that is all Verizon gave me without getting nailed with a non returnable device fee (another long story).

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Sent my Moto X back and they haven't refunded the money yet, they are literally going to take all of the 10 fricken days they require to reverse a credit card charge and the 10th day is Wednesday... unreal. If I would have ordered from Amazon I would have saw my money 7 days ago.

Anyways, I was initially planning on reordering a Moto X, but now I'm thinking I'm going to hold out a bit to see if the AT&T version of the Turbo that passed through the FCC is released in the next few weeks. If so, I'm going to get that. IMO, there is really no reason to get the X unless you only need 16GB and prefer the look of it. The Turbo has all of the same software features and if you ended up with a 32GB wood/leather backed X, then it's only $25 more on contract.

Here's to hoping Verizon doesn't have a Nokia Iconesque exclusive on the phone.

I hear ya. I have escalated mine to supervisors and got my local Corporate Store involved. I have spent literally 1 1/2 hours with Verizon everyday to get it resolved. Today, I contacted Motorola who got on a conference call with Verizon with me. As usual, the CSR thought I was on crack and could not understand why Motorola was on the phone with me and then put me on hold, which transferred back to the beginning of the call routing hell. Motorola rep told me that she sometimes is on hold with Verizon for 2-3 hours at a time to get it all resolved. Of course, my upgrade eligibility was not reversed instantly and had to be done manually. Now my bill is all messed up, my account has 3 long pages of documentation associated with the return of this device and I am running out of days too.

I think if I redo this whole thing, I am going to pay the full retail price up front and end this contract silliness so, I can deal directly with one company and not get caught in the middle.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
To a certain degree the Moto X was growing on me but I got frustrated over the battery life. I was also thinking that with the Droid Turbo coming out, that would be the machine to get so, I returned the unit. The Droid Turbo is not seeming all that attractive to me right now with all the issues and assortment of accessories and such. Now I am pondering whether I should order the Moto X again and give it more time and whether the battery problem should be fixed with the Android L.

Am I crazy? I really do not want the Nexus 6 because its too darn big. I currently have a Note 3 right now which is big enough.

If the battery life was and still is a concern, I'd just wait a week or so and see how Lollipop impacts it before ordering again. Personally I find the battery to be way better than my Nexus 4 even when it was new, so I have no complaints about it. I'm not a hardcore/heavy user, but I do tend to leave everything on and still easily get 3 hours of screen time with battery to spare after a 16-17 hour day.

Oct 18, 2013
www.facebook.com
I don't understand. Is subpar battery life an intermittent problem? I ask because my Moto X is the first phone I can use all day without charging since my BB Torch. And I use it heavy for music, internet, emailing, and videos all day.
EDIT: I'm wondering...Do those with poor battery life have branded phones? I have a Pure Edition.

I have the Pure edition also but my battery just makes me sad, coming from a Note 3 and switching between a OnePlus.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
If the battery life was and still is a concern, I'd just wait a week or so and see how Lollipop impacts it before ordering again. Personally I find the battery to be way better than my Nexus 4 even when it was new, so I have no complaints about it. I'm not a hardcore/heavy user, but I do tend to leave everything on and still easily get 3 hours of screen time with battery to spare after a 16-17 hour day.

This. I am one of the lucky ones with great battery life on my Moto X - a lot of which I attribute to a great signal at home and at work. The Turbo should give you better battery life though than the X and the Nexus 6 is right around the corner. You might as well wait until Lollipop to make a decision if you can wait.

Posted via the Android Central App

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
No, sometimes it takes an experience to realize something or another. (Really lost my train of thought) Either way, good luck with you fiasco and I hope it turns out in your favor.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Concerns for me are accessory assortment. The ballistic nylon that I like, I would want it to be naked but some are stating that the threads are coming out which I was warned of that at the Verizon store. The Droid Turbo only comes in 2 varieties, red and black. If you go the 64gb, you get black and that is it. The Motorola Fling or Flick software is not that appealing either. I had the Moto X for about 2 days, long story, but that is all Verizon gave me without getting nailed with a non returnable device fee (another long story).

I'm not that impressed with the BN and I agree it may have wear and/or fit issues down the road. If you want 64gb you're stuck with it (at least for now). I'm ok with 32gb and the MGF back. As for accessories, haven't looked directly but word of mouth seems to be there's more for the Turbo than the X. I'd probably go naked at least until after I've claimed my screen replacement (hopefully never).

Right now I'm leaning toward initiating a return of my now overpriced and occasionally crashing X to Motorola tomorrow. Their glacial pace processing and completing my return should give me time to decide on the Turbo and learn more about just what Android L is going to bring. Supposedly my Nexus 7 2013 should be getting it this week. I can always go back the the X at a cheaper price later. How long I can nurse my ancient Rezound is another story...

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had a customized 32GB 14 X and exchanged it for the 64GB Turbo the last day of my return period. Well today, I just went and returned the Turbo. The Turbo is an awesome phone, the screen is gorgeous and the camera seemed better than my X but the squared off form factor made it uncomfortable for me to hold, the speaker volume (on calls especially) was just too low, the BNylon was also very slippery and the WiFi signal wasn't near as good as the X. People suggest to turn off "voice privacy" to improve the volume and adjust this setting & that setting to improve it but I really shouldn't have to change settings to hear people, not to mention voice privacy does nothing to volume as people seem to suggest. As a matter of fact, an older man was returning his Turbo because of the same issue when I was in the store. So now I'm having to wait until tomorrow morning to call Customer Service and get my upgrade fixed (it still says I can't upgrade till 2016) so I can reorder a new phone. My Uncle just got an S5 today and I helped him set it up and sadly, I kind of like it so I'm kinda on the fence about which one I want. But then again, I have a Motorola bluetooth earpiece, 360, power pack micro and I love Motorola connect for Chrome so I'm definitely leaning towards the X. I'm using a friends S3 until I can get a new phone and it's enticing being able to go pickup an S5 tomorrow besides waiting for an X but I think it'll be well worth it.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
If you're a user who needs 3+ hours of screen time daily then Lollipop won't really help in the battery life department. Screen time and weak cell/radio signal are the biggest battery drainers.

Posted via Android Central App

motofanforever

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Well I would definitely say you are not crazy. Its the next best thing after Nexus 6....make no balls about it!

Posted via the Android Central App on my uber-sexy Moto X 2014

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87