Can I use a Moto X with T-Mobile?

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I have tmobile and would like to get a new phone, but none of the ones they have in store I like. I am thinking of getting a moto X, unlocked. My question is, can I just buy the phone, pop in my sim card and turn it on? Is there anything else I need to do? Is it something a novice could do? I've only owned 3 different phones in my life and each time I purchased them in store so they were "activated" and set up for me.

Does it matter weather or not I get the Global GSM or US GSM model? Will I have LTE and all other functionality with tmobile? thanks for any help.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can I use a Moto X with t mobile?

Get the US GSM it will be fine with what you have as long as the Sim you have is the same.

Everything should work with no issues. I came from ATT changed Sims and worked like a champ. I had to go back to ATT due to TMO service here in East Texas.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

Get the US GSM it will be fine with what you have as long as the Sim you have is the same.

Everything should work with no issues. I came from ATT changed Sims and worked like a champ. I had to go back to ATT due to TMO service here in East Texas.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

I believe the sim i currently have is different than the one in the moto G, what do I do in that case?

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

I believe the sim i currently have is different than the one in the moto G, what do I do in that case?

The Moto X Pure Edition comes with a T-Mobile sim in the phone. You should just be able to buy it and have T-Mobile activate the new sim on your number. Simple as that.

The Pure Edition is fully compatible with T-Mobile's network. You will get LTE and even Wi-Fi calling I believe.

I highly recommend the Moto X Pure edition. It's an excellent phone with stock Android (my favorite) and the small additions made by Motorola are actually very useful and don't tarnish Google's stock UI.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

SIM cutters are hit or miss. Going from mini (standard) to micro is usually fine, but going down to nano can be tough because of how little room for error there is.

Like benhaube said though, the Moto X Pure Edition comes with a T-Mobile SIM, so when you get the phone you just dial 611 on the Moto X and they can switch you over to the new SIM.

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

Or just go to the T-Mobile store and switch your micro Sim for the nano Sim. It won't hurt to go outside, I promise😉

Posted via the Android Central App

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Or just go to the T-Mobile store and switch your micro Sim for the nano Sim. It won't hurt to go outside, I promise??????

Unfortunately T-Mobile charges $10 for a new SIM card, so it would be best to use the one that comes with the phone.

vjh425

May 8, 2014
Visit site

T-Mobile has waived the sim card fee for me in the past when I requested a new sim for a phone I bought on eBay.

HiiPower

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

T-Mobile has waived the sim card fee for me in the past when I requested a new sim for a phone I bought on eBay.

Same. They gave me a free micro Sim when I got my moto g

Terrorizer

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

So for the moto x to work with t mobile I have to get the $500 pure edition? I can't get a $400 version?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So for the moto x to work with t mobile I have to get the $500 pure edition? I can't get a $400 version?

The $399.99 model on Motorola's site is for the Republic Wireless variant. While it's a no-contact option, it's pretty muched locked to that carrier.

All other variants start at $499.99.

You do get a free Moto E (non-LTE) right now if you buy the Pure Edition. Online Specials and Sales - Motorola