Can't browse micro sd storage via USB after 6.0 upgrade (moto x play)

wrongtario

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
Long time iphone user, recently switched to a moto x play a few weeks ago. This is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to figure it out.

My moto x play has 16gb of internal storage. I've added a 64gb microsd card. The phone recognizes it fine, and I'm able to use it as expected.

When I plug my phone in to my computer, and put it in "MTP" mode, I can see two directories. One is called "internal storage" and the other is called "sandisk sd card"

If I click on the internal storage, I can see all the subdirectories, I can add and remove files as you'd expect.

If I click on the "sandisk sd card" I can see that it has 49gb of 59.4gb free... But I can't see any directories, and I can't create any files/directories. There's several gigs of music, but I can't see it from my pc.

If I take the microsd card out, put it in an sd adapter and slide it in to my computer, then I can view/edit/modify/etc files to my hearts content.

I'm pretty sure prior to upgrading to Marshmallow I was able to to just drag and drop music on to the sd storage without having to take it out of the phone first.

I did not choose to have the sd card absorbed as part of the internal storage during the 6.0 upgrade. The internal and SD storage still appear separate.

I feel like this is something I should be able to do pretty easily, and I must just be missing something basic.

Any help is appreciated.

I'm running windows10 if that makes a difference. I have tried several different cables, and several different usb ports on my computer.

**edit
I think it's resolved. In case anyone comes across a similar problem, it seemed to be resolved by formatting the sd card, choosing to absorb it as internal storage, then formatting again as portable. Sorry for the noise.

Last edited:

brian10161

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I had to do the same. Kind of a pain for those who don't want to format it. I'm using Linux so I don't think it's a specific OS, just Marshmallow.

Posted via my Moto X Play

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87