Moto X Play drop down menu, main menu button and restart issues. Any help?

A

AC Question

moto x play drop down menu, main menu button and restart issues

In the last 24 hours i am having several issues with a moto x play. the drop down menu from the top of the screen no longer contains any of the buttons (bluetooth/wifi/data etc), the on/off button will now not allow restart or flight mode only power off and the button at the bottom of the screen to return to the home page no longer works. it still illuminates as though you've pressed it but it does nothing. The phone has also crashed on numerous occasions. Any help would be great!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: moto x play drop down menu, main menu button and restart issues

Hi, welcome to the forums! Have you already tried to force reboot holding the Power button for about 15 seconds? Can you boot your phone in safe mode?

Steve Bocutt

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

holding for 15 seconds restarts it but not into safe mode. no change with a re-boot. just noticed that notifications are no longer appearing either?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

To boot into safe mode press the power button and then long press on the Power Off window.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Have you recently received the Marshmallow update or are you still running Lollipop? The safe mode practically ruled out a conflict with a third party app, but just in case, do you remember installing or updating any app right before the problems started?

There's a couple of things to try before a factory reset.

- Go to settings - apps - three dots top right and reset app preferences.
- Settings - storage - cached data - clear.
- Wipe the cache partition on recovery. The steps are a bit different depending on the Android version.
- Restart the phone.

Make sure to backup anything you don't want to lose just in case a factory reset is necessary.

Steve Bocutt

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

yes it updated to marshmallow two weeks ago.

ok tried all of those steps and still no luck... :( guessing only step left is the reset?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Looks that way :(

Just a couple more things.

- settings - security - device administrators. What is it checked in there?
- Are you using any battery booster, cleaner app or RAM optimizer? If so, disable them or even uninstall. I've seen some people having very funny issues with this kind of apps.
- You are using the stock launcher, right? Would you like trying a custom one and see if anything changes? Some of your issues seem launcher related. Nova would be my first option.

I'm running from place to place today :) I'll let you know if I find something else later on.

Steve Bocutt

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

android device manager is checked (also its the only thing in that menu).

Not using a battery booster. ok i will try a different launcher.

thanks for help so far

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

android device manager is checked (also its the only thing in that menu).

Not using a battery booster. ok i will try a different launcher.

thanks for help so far

Any difference using a custom launcher? Try something. Go to settings - users - switch to guest and then back to the main user. Do you get your notifications back?

Take a look here.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...me-button-not-working-many-more-problems.html

Steve Bocutt

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

Hi there, just switched to giest and everythng seems to be working!?! what does this mean?

Steve Bocutt

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
so ive switched back to my account and notifications are back and drop down menu is back. the power button still only switches off and cental "homepage" button still not working. so some of the issues have been resolved

Steve Bocutt

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

read that post and it sounds exactly like my issue. i went to try and to factory reset but it wont allow me to do that either!!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Have you already tried using a custom launcher? I keep asking this because maybe forcing the home button to perform a different action would give us more clues.

This issue is mostly related to Nexus devices and I've found just one case involving the X Play. It was in a Brazilian community that I follow on Google+. I asked the guy that reported this same problem and he told he fixed it with a factory reset from recovery (not from the settings).

I also found this. It involves Nexus, manual flash and adb commands. I haven't tried and it could be a bit risky so I can't recommend you to do this process.

https://www.virag.si/2015/08/home-button-not-working-after-flashing-to-android-marshmallow/

AlexisMay

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
hi Steve I was wondering if you would concider selling the phone? I need the lock button only but if your phone doesn't work would you be interested in selling your damaged device?

Lord_Dude

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I have had the exact same problem with my Mototola Moto X, just came out of nowhere. The notfication bar will pull down, but not fully reveal and the main menu button had no function. I've tried nearly everything, and i know it sounds like a weird fix, but change youre current Google Account to ,,guest" on settings -> Accounts ... i dont know why, but at least the notification bar is now working, even if i switch back to my normal Account, the menu button works, if i first press the rectangled button. It sadly does'nt fix the other issues i had with the shake for camera function for example, but I hope it helps anyways, I guess it's just a weird bug

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I have had the exact same problem with my Mototola Moto X, just came out of nowhere. The notfication bar will pull down, but not fully reveal and the main menu button had no function. I've tried nearly everything, and i know it sounds like a weird fix, but change youre current Google Account to ,,guest" on settings -> Accounts ... i dont know why, but at least the notification bar is now working, even if i switch back to my normal Account, the menu button works, if i first press the rectangled button. It sadly does'nt fix the other issues i had with the shake for camera function for example, but I hope it helps anyways, I guess it's just a weird bug

Same issue with my daughter's phone while we are sitting in the airport (right now). I'm done with Motorola or any other OEM unless it's a Nexus. Couldn't care less why this happens. I'm not gonna waste my time researching it more and will just do factory reset when we get home.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that something LOL.
So I wanted to factory reset from Settings and the reset button is grayed out because there's no account to display.

Can't even go to Recovery because nothing happens once I select this option from boot menu.... Just blank screen.

Bye bye Motorola pos

suhas p1

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi gor for Motorola support and contact dem through ..chat live...tell ur problem. Dey wil tell u 5 steps ...and follow dem....I solved the same problem by their method