Best practices for SD card?

notabbott

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Okay, so I've got an SD card, but for whatever reason, it seems to be more difficult to point individual apps to save their files on the card instead of the device memory. I have at least one app (Easy Voice Recorder) where I can't make heads or tails of the "select file location" function, but that may be more of an app UI issue. And as other have pointed out, you can't move apps to the SD card in Marshmallow like you used to.

So, I guess what I'm asking of SD card (+Marshmallow) users is, how do you wrangle your SD card? Individual save settings, or format as internal/adoptable storage? Seems like the latter isn't quite seamless, but still might be better than the alternative.

And the second question would be, how do you point the camera/gallery to save on the SD card in the first place? Neither the Gallery or the Photo app have any settings that look remotely useful in this regard.

Thanks,
Chris

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The Moto Camera app has a Storage Location setting on the rotating settings. It looks like an SD card. Not sure about other apps.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I only use it for pictures and video from the camera.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In the camera app, open the menu and look for the icon that looks like a memory card.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

notabbott

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Not seeing it. I've got HDR, Flash, Focus/Exposure toggle, Video format and Photo format (widescreen vs. standard). Am I being dumb and missing something obvious?

2016-01-06 19.08.55.jpg

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Not seeing it. I've got HDR, Flash, Focus/Exposure toggle, Video format and Photo format (widescreen vs. standard). Am I being dumb and missing something obvious?

View attachment 212328

As Ry said, you have to scroll the wheel up to see more options.

Edit: and if you want to move your existing photos onto your SD card, I use an app called ES File Explorer (Cabinet is also a good file explorer app). Just move the entire DCIM folder over onto the root of your SD card

For Google music, you have to set your storage location to SD card (obviously), but if you noticed that Google music is taking up a ton of data anyway, you have to disable Auto-offline, as this caches your streaming music to save data.. As far as I know, there is not a way to get the app to cache into your SD card.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
As Ry said, you have to scroll the wheel up to see more options.

Edit: and if you want to move your existing photos onto your SD card, I use an app called ES File Explorer (Cabinet is also a good file explorer app). Just move the entire DCIM folder over onto the root of your SD card

For Google music, you have to set your storage location to SD card (obviously), but if you noticed that Google music is taking up a ton of data anyway, you have to disable Auto-offline, as this caches your streaming music to save data.. As far as I know, there is not a way to get the app to cache into your SD card.

Agree, FS File Explorer is excellent and easy to use.

Posted via the Android Central App

notabbott

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Okay, I was overthinking the scroll wheel and trying to scroll along the curve instead of just up and down. Duh. Thanks!

I may have a related question about how the pathnames show up in some apps, but I might be able to figure that one out purely by trial and error.

n8prkr

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Did this fix your issue? I'm having the same issue. No matter how far I scroll I see no option for changing the storage location. My SD is adopted.

Attachments

• 6835.jpg
    6835.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 73

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Did this fix your issue? I'm having the same issue. No matter how far I scroll I see no option for changing the storage location. My SD is adopted.

Since you're using adoptable storage, you shouldn't have the option to save to the SD card.

Grant Brown

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi. And help. I installed this card:
Silicon Power 64GB up to 85MB/s MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class10

Io set it up as internal storage. Moved inbox, Spotify, Evernote to it. Horrible performance. Unusable. Is it because it is a no name brand? Is the adoption technology vapor ware?

First solution, have ordered a sandisk extreme pro which is the 95 something bit transfer rate card made for GoPro 4K. So, I assume , one of fastest around. Also, stepped down from 64gb to 32.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi. And help. I installed this card:
Silicon Power 64GB up to 85MB/s MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class10

Io set it up as internal storage. Moved inbox, Spotify, Evernote to it. Horrible performance. Unusable. Is it because it is a no name brand? Is the adoption technology vapor ware?

First solution, have ordered a sandisk extreme pro which is the 95 something bit transfer rate card made for GoPro 4K. So, I assume , one of fastest around. Also, stepped down from 64gb to 32.

Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using that Sandisc card and it works flawlessly with this phone.