Bluetooth on, audio plays through the phone not car speakers

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've checked for the correct settings. Paired and unpaired and paired again. Shows "connected" but car shows "no connect". But phone setting will not let me check "phone audio" as well as 'contacts".

Last edited:

dagodpapa

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I posted in another thread a solution that worked for me, it seems it didn't work for others tho.

I have a Ford Focus, what worked for me was clearing Bluetooth Share data and cache, also clearing phone cache and turning off bluetooth sharing location.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
I recently started having this problem. With Bluetooth activated, try opening your Bluetooth settings, go to the car, see if "phone audio" is checked. Not only was mine not checked, it wouldn't let me check it! 2 suggestions I researched have worked for me. First, leaving Bluetooth on all the time (not ideal). Second, clicking your data off, then back on again. The easiest way to do this which successfully turns phone audio back on is by pulling the widgets or notifications bar and toggling on and off "airplane mode". Can't say these techniques will work for you, but they work for me. I was extremely frustrated because I use Bluetooth daily in my car and have no explanation for why phone audio in my car stopped working. Good luck.

mrpackerguy

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Two clarifications. When I say go to car, I meant check the device settings on your phone for your car. Second, I meant swipe down from the top of the screen to get to airplane mode and toggle it on and off to reset the data

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. What the airplane mode has to do with Bluetooth, I can't imagine, but I tried turning it on and then back off and it worked! I'll see what happens when I try to connect again tomorrow. Also, I was only able to check "media audio" and "phone audio" after doing that. Strange.

creasman00

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem today with wife's 2013 Ford Fusion. Phone would connect, but would not play media. I deleted the BT connection and reconnected, but had the same problem with the same symptoms as everyone else. (under BT connection, the "Phone Audio" was not checked and would not check).
Later today I got into my 2013 Ford F150 and had the exact same experience. That's when I figured it was phone related and not a Ford issue.
I tried the suggestion here to turn on and off airplane mode, and voila! All is working agian.
Hope that works for everyone else until the next update!

rl71

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
The airplane off/on trick definitely works, as I'm having this same problem across multiple BT devices (Plantronics, car BT, earbuds). They all exhibit this problem within the past 2-3 days and the airplane mode trick resolves it. I'm guessing something related to the December 2016 security update has fouled up the BT settings.