I Have to buy a phone today....

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Curious to see what you bought!

I have an S4 and the battery life is tremendous (24 hours+ with normal usage), also camera is great. ton of great features. Can't say enough good about it. But that's me.
My wife disagrees. She has an IP5 and she really likes it (as much as she likes any phone. ...(Oh, she no longer likes the camera -her camera has very clear good realistic colors, and was better than my old S2, but now, she makes me take the pictures since the S4's camera is somewhat better than the IP5. (don't get me wrong -both are v good).

She does like the Iphone's great speakers and great sound. But I would and am bored by Apple phones (and I even use a MAC!). . . The S4 is more customizable, more fun, and more useful for me. OK, that's us, and you're different. So our likes may not align.

It sounds like you are most comfortable or most invested in IOS
It's an OS that you have used -so all of your stuff is there and you're already up on IOS7.
Sounds to me that IP5 is a good choice for you. Unless you are bored using the IPhone and you are tired of the interface and the like.

If not, then it's smart to stay Apple.
That said, you really could not have picked a worse time since the next IP5s/Ip6/IP whatever will be coming out soon . . .
can you hold out until Sep 10? I think that is the day they announce. . .might be able to buy a week later. . .

Possibly you could get an ip5 now (ouch), then pay the restocking fee and get an IP5s within 30 days. Something like that. . .
In the meantime you can turn off your cellular when not using the phone --manually as a temporary measure to keep the water ghosts from dialing. :) .

Good Luck!

EDIT: Oh,,,, just saw the answer. . .Motto X, hmm that's a switch from I-anything :) OK, Good luck and welcome back to the fun side of the island (Android side ;-)

serenemind

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
@Markbc:

I was really wanting to wait till Sep 10th to see what Apple has up their sleeves, but had no choice, but to get one sooner as my iphone 4s with iOS7 beta 6 died on me. That being said most of the details of the next iphone are pretty much out there and they are really meh to me. iPhone is beautiful but yes I am bored of iOS. JMHO HTC One is a lot better phone than the iPhone in design, which is where iPhone ruled all these years.

Although iPhone 5s will be more beautiful with iOS7 on its already gorgeous display but the screen size is something I cannot imagine going back to after using android for 3+years. The only gripe I had with android was battery life and possibly google watching me every single second; Moto X solves the battery life issue and I guess even apple and every company not just google is after user related data these days, which calmed me down on the 2nd issue.

Note 3 is out of question, its too big for me to justify using it as a phone. I am in front of the computer all day and I really don't want another huge gadget in my hand to do the same things that I can do on a much bigger screen.

Coming to Moto X:

I really like the Moto X. Its a perfect sized phone and feels amazing in the hand, although the black one is a finger print magnet (I don't wiping my phone every now and then :) ). Near stock android is beautiful and I am just hoping the updates will come in fairly quickly.

The display is not as good as HTC one or the S4, however its not bad either. Internet speeds are lightning fast where I am, with 24 mbps down and 22 mbps up on LTE in the test I did yesterday. I gotta say one more time battery life is simply superb which cannot be said about many android phones that I used except the Note 2.

Camera is pretty decent. Honestly to share them of FB and G+ the quality is more than sufficient. For everything else I use my DSLR.

I might get another phone before my 2 yr contract with AT&T is up but Moto will be my daily driver for the most part of the 2 yrs and beyond.

-Serenemind

jose3456

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
The s4 camera is very good the moto x camera is worse until they fix it up and it has older hardware then the one and s4 but if you liked to customize your phone and all the gestures also pure stock jelly bean with a little bit of a touch with motorola it will be the moto x if you like the screen and HTC sense and low light photos its the one and if you are an average user and like simple and a smaller screen so you could reach your thumb across the screen its the iPhone 5 and like you said you don't like touch wiz you shouldn't go with the note 3 I would go with the note 3 but I would recommend the moto x as you can customize it and almost have pure stock jelly bean

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

markbc

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow!
24 & 22 those are great speeds
And if you're comfortable with it..that's what counts.

The switch from ios does take some work, but it's not so terrible.

Also this year seems to be the first when android phones finally are getting decent battery life on a wide range of phones...

Just comparing what I have for my phone and what my wife can do (which is more then when I used a 3gs ages ago), I think the cloud services we have in android are more robust than apples;

Finally, you do have the newest phone with an innovative approach to the interface.

That will go far, and even an unrooted, stock Moto x has options than may induce you to keep it more than the 1st 30 days.. :) :)

good luck!

Posted via Android Central App

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely hate iTunes. And I absolutely love the customization available with Android. I also don't trust that HTC will update the One as I believe Moto will update the X. And I love stock Android. So X all the way for me.

HTC One will have 4.3 by end of September.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I say get a cheap flip phone off ebay to tide you over (which I am doing right now) until all of the devices you want are out. This way you can make a good decision instead of a spur of the moment call. I had to hold myself back from buying an S3 or Galaxy Nexus off ebay this weekend since I can't stand flip phones, but its humbling to remember what it was all about years before the smartphone started.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely hate iTunes. And I absolutely love the customization available with Android. I also don't trust that HTC will update the One as I believe Moto will update the X. And I love stock Android. So X all the way for me.

You don't have to use iTunes with an iPhone.

Posted via my awesome rooted Nexus 4 and Android Central App)

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
And KLP will be out in October. With the stock skin on X its more likely to get updates faster.

Posted via Android Central App

The only phones that are guaranteed to get updates quickly are Nexus devices. All of the other phones will get updated when the Carrier decides to update. You don't get quicker updates because the O/S is closer to vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to use iTunes with an iPhone.

Then what's the point in having an iPhone?

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
The only phones that are guaranteed to get updates quickly are Nexus devices. All of the other phones will get updated when the Carrier decides to update. You don't get quicker updates because the O/S is closer to vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

Then what's the point in having an iPhone?

Doing smartphone stuff perhaps?

/s
What makes you think think you have to use the iTunes app on PC to manage your iPhone?

Last edited:

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Doing smartphone stuff perhaps?

/s
What makes you think think you have to use the iTunes app on PC to manage your iPhone?

You don't have to use iTunes to manage your iPhone. But you're missing out on a key feature - the ability to get content onto the phone easily. And before you tell me you have an awesome way to manage your iPhone without iTunes, I'll say this. If your way was BETTER then EVERYONE would do it, and they DO NOT.

So have fun on your Redhat linux box managing your iPhone using a combination of Wine and ... whatever. /s :D

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
You don't have to use iTunes to manage your iPhone. But you're missing out on a key feature - the ability to get content onto the phone easily. And before you tell me you have an awesome way to manage your iPhone without iTunes, I'll say this. If your way was BETTER then EVERYONE would do it, and they DO NOT.

So have fun on your Redhat linux box managing your iPhone using a combination of Wine and ... whatever. /s :D

I have a Mac.