Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default iMessage preventing texts from delivering to Android Moto X

This might end up being a rather vague question but I'll give it a go. Ever since activating my Moto X, communication between my phone and other people's iPhones has been very unreliable. They're not getting my texts and vice versa. But oddly, it's not ALL of my friends with iPhones, it's just some of them. When I had my iPhone I don't remember having any issues texting people with Android devices. What could be going on here?

Posted via Android Central App
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Default re: iMessage preventing texts from delivering to Android Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by djr7572 View Post
    This might end up being a rather vague question but I'll give it a go. Ever since activating my Moto X, communication between my phone and other people's iPhones has been very unreliable. They're not getting my texts and vice versa. But oddly, it's not ALL of my friends with iPhones, it's just some of them. When I had my iPhone I don't remember having any issues texting people with Android devices. What could be going on here?

Did you shut off I message before switching?

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    yyue 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Did you shut off I message before switching?

I don't believe I did. Could that be the culprit? Is there anything I can do at this point?

yyue likes this.

iMessage is always a culprit. Call your carrier and make sure they have iOS provisioning turned off for your device.

I don't believe I did. Could that be the culprit? Is there anything I can do at this point?

Mrluky likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by ModernPiratePrincess View Post
    iMessage is always a culprit. Call your carrier and make sure they have iOS provisioning turned off for your device.
    Do I need to talk to someone in tech support?

No, anyone can help. Basically, there is a little different provisioning for iMessaging on the carrier side. It has to do with carrier routing.

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

No, anyone can help. Basically, there is a little different provisioning for iMessaging on the carrier side. It has to do with carrier routing.
    Ok thanks. Is this usually a pretty simple fix, or am I in for a nightmare here?

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Do you have any other apple devices? First go to each of them (iPad, iPhone, iPods, or Macs) and remove your phone number from iMessage. Then make sure that they are texting your phone number and not your iCloud address. If that doesn't help, then contact your provider to make sure your on the right messaging plan.

God I am glad I no longer have a iOS device and iTunes is uninstalled from my pc.

Actually, it's an Apple thing. 5 minute call, and they revoke the certificates. No carrier side afaik. Wasn't for me at all.

Call Apple, 800-My-Apple.

Global Posts
    3,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

You need to do 2 things.

1. Turn off iMessage on your own iPhone.
    2. Make sure your friends have selected "send as text message" when iMessage is unavailable in their own iMessage settings.

If those do not fix it you can call Apple and they can do the certificates thing.

Global Posts
    574 Global Posts

Are you sure your some of your friends are not getting your texts? Your friends aren't trying to tell you something by claiming "I never got your text", are they?
    ultravisitor likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by bobbob1016 View Post
    Actually, it's an Apple thing. 5 minute call, and they revoke the certificates. No carrier side afaik. Wasn't for me at all.

Call Apple, 800-My-Apple.

How, exactly, should I explain this to Apple? What do I need to ask them to do specifically? Just wanna make sure I'm requesting the right thing.

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    Are you sure your some of your friends are not getting your texts? Your friends aren't trying to tell you something by claiming "I never got your text", are they?
    I assure you, this isn't the issue

How, exactly, should I explain this to Apple? What do I need to ask them to do specifically? Just wanna make sure I'm requesting the right thing.

Just say "I need my certificates revoked."
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Default Re: iMessage preventing texts from delivering to Android Moto X

So, talked to a senior Apple Care rep and he had my number "unregistered" with iMessage so this should solve the problem. He said give it 24 hours (worst case) to fully take effect. So hopefully this does the trick.

Thanks everybody!

I had this exact same issue and there is one more step to guarantee that you will receive all texts from your remaining iPhone friends.

-Anyone who has you in their iPhone contacts must manually go into their contacts and change your number from listed as an iPhone to Mobile

If not their phone will always try to push their messages to you through the iMessage servers first and will eventually fail to send. I spent an hour with an Apple tech and while she did have to remove my phone number from the server she also informed me that I needed to contact all my iPhone buddies and have them change my contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_on_fire View Post
    I had this exact same issue and there is one more step to guarantee that you will receive all texts from your remaining iPhone friends.

-Anyone who has you in their iPhone contacts must manually go into their contacts and change your number from listed as an iPhone to Mobile

If not their phone will always try to push their messages to you through the iMessage servers first and will eventually fail to send. I spent an hour with an Apple tech and while she did have to remove my phone number from the server she also informed me that I needed to contact all my iPhone buddies and have them change my contact.
    That would be SO irritating.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

What a pain in the a**. Why did they have you on the phone for so long? The guy I spoke to had it done in pretty short order. But yes, I do plan to have all my iPhone contacts update me in their address book. Now I wish I had known about this before I deactivated my iPhone.

So, talked to a senior Apple Care rep and he had my number "unregistered" with iMessage so this should solve the problem. He said give it 24 hours (worst case) to fully take effect. So hopefully this does the trick.

Thanks everybody!

You can have them take less than 24 hours if they make sure they have "Send as SMS" turned on in Settings -> Messages. Same if they delete the message thread.

Actually, there isn't an option for iPhone anymore, I think that ended with iOS 6. Well, needing to do that ended there I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    That would be SO irritating.
    Yes, it is, but they have decentralized servers, so that 24 hours is somewhat valid. The only reason it isn't a big deal the other way (Android to iOS when you have Hangouts) is that there is Hangouts for iOS. Funny thing is Steve Jobs said he wanted to make iMessage and Facetime universal, as he knew otherwise no one would use them.

Global Posts
    4,500 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

iMessages strikes again

Is this something newer with Apple? I don't remember hearing about this in the past but it seems to be a real issue recently.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    iMessages strikes again

Is this something newer with Apple? I don't remember hearing about this in the past but it seems to be a real issue recently.
    I don't think it's new. I think we hear more about now as more people are giving Android a try. I have an iPhone that I use sometimes and as long as I turn off iMessage before going back to Android everything is OK usually. The wildcard is with friends, family and clients that have iPhone. If they don't have messages set to send as sms if iMessage fails then there is an issue still. To me it is really poor execution on the part of Apple. I understand they are using this as a way to keep people in their ecosystem but they punish their own customers when they can't get a message to a former user because they didn't know any better.

Sent from my Moto X
    VDub2174, 21stNow and gdmin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    iMessages strikes again

Its a known issue for a very long time... Thats why i never use imessage
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast