Galaxy S4 convert

Flashheatmvp3

May 5, 2013
Visit site
So I have the galaxy s4 on ATT right now and I'm thinking about making the switch. It is nice having a removable battery since I have few spare ones I leave around but still hardly ever use them. The SD card thing isn't a huge deal to me either as i've only ever had a 2gb card in there and don't really use it, everything is synced wirelessly to the cloud now. So I'm wondering what you guys would think are some reasons to make the switch to the moto X? Having 4.4 would be nice but I think S4 is getting that this month anyways. I don't use my phone for a whole lot just an average college kid user, checking social networking , lot of texting, occasional maps/gps, take pics every now and then at sporting events or for tweets. Any input is appreciated.

shoii

May 17, 2013
Visit site
So I have the galaxy s4 on ATT right now and I'm thinking about making the switch. It is nice having a removable battery since I have few spare ones I leave around but still hardly ever use them. The SD card thing isn't a huge deal to me either as i've only ever had a 2gb card in there and don't really use it, everything is synced wirelessly to the cloud now. So I'm wondering what you guys would think are some reasons to make the switch to the moto X? Having 4.4 would be nice but I think S4 is getting that this month anyways. I don't use my phone for a whole lot just an average college kid user, checking social networking , lot of texting, occasional maps/gps, take pics every now and then at sporting events or for tweets. Any input is appreciated.

I made the switch from an S4 to a Moto X. I won't make a huge response right now but I promise you tomorrow I'll make a review since I'm about to go to sleep. There's a lot of things you need to consider because it is a much different phone. One thing I can tell you right now is that the Moto X is a great phone but you will be giving up on quite a few things.

Posted via Android Central App

Flashheatmvp3

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from an S4 to a Moto X. I won't make a huge response right now but I promise you tomorrow I'll make a review since I'm about to go to sleep. There's a lot of things you need to consider because it is a much different phone. One thing I can tell you right now is that the Moto X is a great phone but you will be giving up on quite a few things.

Thanks I appreciate it, I hoped there would be others that had been in this position and made the leap. Looking forward to it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I didnt have the S4 but had the S3 as one of my phones(GNexus was the other phone) before getting the Moto X.Im on Vzw.
Both of my other phones were 32 GB internal storage , with the S3 also had the 32 GB Sd Card, with the GNexus had the 32 GB removeable drive.
I didnt use any of the gestures of the S3 so they were turned off.Also I had my others phones rooted and custom Romed.
I dont have my Moto X rooted have the little bloatware disabled that was safe to disable.By little bloatware I mean compaired to other vzw phones.
I dont store music on my phone.I did get my Moto X second week of Sept. so I do have the 16 GB model.
So far storeage hasnt been an issue.I use all the features of the Moto X : touchless controls,active notifications,camera gesture, has awesome battery life.The Moto X is so smooth for me doesnt lag and with Kit Kat once again can use google wallet this time without having to be rooted to use.I have no regrets getting the Moto X,the only thing different I would have done was snag the 32 GB but not even thinking of selling this one just for that alone.So far I have been impressed with my little Moto X. :) It may not be at the top of the specs sheet but who cares as long as it functions as smooth as it does I dont care whats written on paper.
I mainly use my phone for surfing the web, texting,emailing,navigation,twitter,G+, and Hangouts

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I switched from a GS4 to a Moto X and I think that both are great phones, but there are some tradeoffs.

-The software on the Moto X is way superior to the GS4. It's basically stock android with the active notifications and touchless controls. These features are actually really useful, and I can't imagine going back to a phone without them. I never used to use voice commands on previous phones, but I find myself using them all the time on the Moto X. On the other hand, the GS4 had so much bloatware that I was constantly going through apps and disabling things. I didn't find any of the features they added to be too useful, and they seemed mostly gimmicky. Also, I think the Moto X runs a little smoother (probably the combination of having a much lighter skin and having fewer pixels for the screen).
-The look and feel of the Moto X is way better than the GS4. It feels a lot nicer in my hands and it's comfortable to hold with one hand, unlike the GS4. I usually don't use cases on my phones and I'm not using one for the Moto X, but I was using one for the GS4 because of how slippery the back was. The soft touch feel of the Moto X is really nice and isn't slippery at all
-The camera on the GS4 is easily better than the camera on the Moto X and it's not even close. I do give Motorola credit for the wrist twist way of launching the camera, which I use frequently, but it's really hard to get shots that come out well. It seems like every picture I take has a lot of noise and it sometimes takes a few tries to get a non-blurry shot. I always shoot in HDR mode in order to get a decent shot on the Moto X. My pictures on the GS4 were almost the quality of a real point and shoot camera,.
-The screen on the GS4 is noticeably better. I don't notice it for watching videos or playing games, but I've noticed a few times when reading text and having to make the font bigger than I had to on the GS4. In addition you have a smaller screen in general, especially with the on-screen buttons. There's a tradeoff here however, since the battery lasts longer, especially if you're playing games on your phone.

anon(8082935)

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the S4 to the Moto X because of battery life. The S4 had a hard time holding on to a signal at work and at home. I work in an all brick school and stay in a basement so it's understandable. I used to leave work with 40% with the S4 compared to 70% with the X.

I will admit that switching took some getting used to because of the battery indicator and more comprehensive quick settings toggles. I just found an app for those and kept it moving.

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you share some of the apps you are using to replace functions? I just moved from an s3 and also teach in a school where I get NO signal, so I can't wait to see how this phone does.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking of making the same move and am interested in hearing from others that have already made the switch. I've never really been in love with the size and shape of the S4, it just feels too large. After coming from a Nexus 4 a lot of the Samsung "enhancements" have really annoyed the crap out of me as well.

anon(8082935)

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I use notification toggle for battery indicator and toggles. I know you can use the quick settings but holding them down isn't intuitive to me.

The one feature I do miss sometimes is the alarm clock because the one on the X always scares me awake whereas the S4 eased me awake.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Can you share some of the apps you are using to replace functions? I just moved from an s3 and also teach in a school where I get NO signal, so I can't wait to see how this phone does.

Notification toggles is the app you need.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I am a long time notification toggle app user. It transitioned to the Moto X nicely. Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Couple screen shots. First one shows battery percent and second the pulldown. You can set the toggles you want on one or two lines. I included the flashlight as I use it a lot. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1388768954483.jpg
    1388768954483.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 1388768979719.jpg
    1388768979719.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 43

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Couple screen shots. First one shows battery percent and second the pulldown. You can set the toggles you want on one or two lines. I included the flashlight as I use it a lot. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Thanks for the screenshots - is the battery percentage part of the app? I now have the app, but didn't see this feature. Thanks again!

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the screenshots - is the battery percentage part of the app? I now have the app, but didn't see this feature. Thanks again!

Open the app, go to settings, status bar icon.

Sent from my Moto X

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Notification toggle can be confusing at times regarding setup. To configure go to your app drawer and find the app. Then you can swipe left and right for different page or go into settings. Chris

Sent from my A200 using AC Forums mobile app

huntnyc

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Tried this app but when I press Flight mode toggle nothing happens. I was hoping it would work like the stock 4.4 toggle. Any help on this and thanks.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez