Notifications and music volume

Eli_B

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey all. I tried doing a search on this, but i didn't find a thread..so if there is one, please direct me towards it

I'm experiencing something a bit unusual and I'd like to ask you guys about it.

I have my Moto X and I have it hooked up to an external speaker streaming Pandora.

Now, when I get a notification on my phone, what it does is it lowers the music and the notification comes through the loud speaker..and then the music goes back up to normal volume.

What happens to me on occasion is that I'll get the notification, the music lowers......but never comes back up to normal volume. It stays low for rest of the song it's playing and THEN it goes back up to normal volume levels.

Has anyone else experienced this at all? If so, why does this happen, and if so, are there any work around solutions?

Thanks,

-Eli

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. I tried doing a search on this, but i didn't find a thread..so if there is one, please direct me towards it

I'm experiencing something a bit unusual and I'd like to ask you guys about it.

I have my Moto X and I have it hooked up to an external speaker streaming Pandora.

Now, when I get a notification on my phone, what it does is it lowers the music and the notification comes through the loud speaker..and then the music goes back up to normal volume.

What happens to me on occasion is that I'll get the notification, the music lowers......but never comes back up to normal volume. It stays low for rest of the song it's playing and THEN it goes back up to normal volume levels.

Has anyone else experienced this at all? If so, why does this happen, and if so, are there any work around solutions?

Thanks,

-Eli

I get the volume dips in music when connected to Bluetooth speakers or headphones but the media playback volume is always restored to its original value. The dips occur with typical notifications or Navigation voice prompts. I use Google Play Music, Amazon MP3 and Overdrive Media Console regularly and so far haven't seen what you report. I have no experience with Pandora on my Moto X.

ctl904

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I experienced something similar but sorta opposite. I was doing the exact same thing earlier today, Pandora on an external. I was thinking the volume was a little lower than it should have been, as I have been impressed with the speaker on this phone since I got it, then a notification came in, phone did the normal lower volume thing, and when it came back up, the volume was way louder, about what it should have been before. This happened once the other day as well. Sorry I don't have a solution to contribute, but the incidents may be tied to something similar (?)

Eli_B

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
CT,

It could be that they are tied to something similar. You might be right about that. Hopefully we'll get an answer soon.

At least now I know that I'm not the only one who is experiencing an issue like this (even tho yours is not exactly the same)..

I experienced something similar but sorta opposite. I was doing the exact same thing earlier today, Pandora on an external. I was thinking the volume was a little lower than it should have been, as I have been impressed with the speaker on this phone since I got it, then a notification came in, phone did the normal lower volume thing, and when it came back up, the volume was way louder, about what it should have been before. This happened once the other day as well. Sorry I don't have a solution to contribute, but the incidents may be tied to something similar (?)

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
yeah, I've had the issue too on occasion. Pretty sure I've seen it both in Google Play Music & in Pandora. Coincidentally, I recall it happening with Pandora a LOT on my old phone (Sprint HTC EVO 4G Touch). I always use the headphone jack into an external speaker or audio system.

Frankump

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The problem is with Pandora. I have the same problem but it happens all the time. I get a notification and Pandora reduces the volume to zero and it stays at zero after streaming resumes. This does not happen with my music player or my alternative streaming app, Jango.

I've talked to Pandora and they suggested clearing the cache, reinstalling, etc. but still doesn't work properly.

Posted via Android Central App

Eli_B

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Frank,

Thank you very much for letting me know this. I guess it's a nuisance we'll have to deal with until they actually fix it :'(

DL_E489Y6

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
More than a year later and the issue still exists. The workaround I have is to skip to the next song to restore the original volume before the notification, or to open a GIF in the browser to trick Pandora into thinking another applications controls the sound and then close the GIF. I have tested these methods many times, but it's still a very annoying problem.

Andrew Fugman

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
More than a year later and the issue still exists. The workaround I have is to skip to the next song to restore the original volume before the notification, or to open a GIF in the browser to trick Pandora into thinking another applications controls the sound and then close the GIF. I have tested these methods many times, but it's still a very annoying problem.

Another year gone, and still this problem persists.

The easiest way I've found to fix it is text my personal phone {the one with the problem} from my work phone. The resulting notification on my personal phone resets the media volume to the correct level.

The problem is 90% of the time I'm using Pandora is when I'm driving, which makes that trick dangerous. I abhor people who text and drive too much to become one.

Anybody find a fix?

Nexpro

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Another year gone, and still this problem persists.

The easiest way I've found to fix it is text my personal phone {the one with the problem} from my work phone. The resulting notification on my personal phone resets the media volume to the correct level.

The problem is 90% of the time I'm using Pandora is when I'm driving, which makes that trick dangerous. I abhor people who text and drive too much to become one.

Anybody find a fix?

So I believe I have a similar, frustrating issue!

Phone : Galaxy Note 8

Headphones : Bose Bluetooth quiet comforts

Now and again a notifiction drops the sound and it won't go up! Check the volume on the system and it's still set the same as it was.

Skip a song - goes back up... Finishes that song back down again.

Try changing album - goes down after the first song.

It seems to trap in a loop I sometimes can't get out of until I have my next notification!!

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
this happened on my LG G6 also with my cheap Amazon Bluetooth headphones, but for me it's TuneIn Radio.

When it would resume playing, the volume would be at zero and the only way to get it back was to turn off the Bluetooth headset and turn it back on. I always thought it was the headset, but thinking it my be an Android glitch now.