Freezing up constantly after Nougat update

maxdrez

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I too have a Moto Z Force Droid, and have been having unbelievable issues with it. I had a perfect phone until the display one day literally just stopped working overnight and became a blue screen of death.
I received a new phone from moto fairly quickly (within 2 days) and was satisfied for one day, until the new phone downloaded nugat immediately and began freezing every few minutes. This I'm not exaggerating. THE PHONE IS USELESS.
verizon and moto have done nothing to help me except tell me to pay 800+ dollars for a new phone.
i just got off the phone with moto and they are having such a high volume of problems that i couldn't even connect to the repair department after 2 hours of waiting, eventually they told me that they would call me back later.

For those who just say "do a reset, it will be fine" this is not the case.
i have done 4 factory resets on this phone and set up each one as a new device. and every single time it has reverted to freezing, crashing, rebooting then freezing in boot-up, and doing the same.
i have cleared the app data and cashe.

Any feedback or help that isnt "just do a reset" will be greatly appreciated.
maybe a way to manually reset the phone back to marshmello? that would be tremendously helpful.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey, found this thread after weeks of freezing issues occurring with my Z Force. I'm about done with trying to find a solution. Already did a factory reset and the problems came right back. It froze 4 times consecutively tonight, and I don't know what else to do... I was told by moto staff that it was a known issue and they were slowly releasing an update... But I haven't seen anything yet.

I also just took out my SD card, since sometimes it would happen while taking pictures. Going to try this and see how it goes.

The only semi-official word is that an update will be released to address the low notification issue that some users are experiencing. I imagine it'll be included in what was likely already scheduled as the next security patch release.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I too have a Moto Z Force Droid, and have been having unbelievable issues with it. I had a perfect phone until the display one day literally just stopped working overnight and became a blue screen of death.
I received a new phone from moto fairly quickly (within 2 days) and was satisfied for one day, until the new phone downloaded nugat immediately and began freezing every few minutes. This I'm not exaggerating. THE PHONE IS USELESS.
verizon and moto have done nothing to help me except tell me to pay 800+ dollars for a new phone.
i just got off the phone with moto and they are having such a high volume of problems that i couldn't even connect to the repair department after 2 hours of waiting, eventually they told me that they would call me back later.

For those who just say "do a reset, it will be fine" this is not the case.
i have done 4 factory resets on this phone and set up each one as a new device. and every single time it has reverted to freezing, crashing, rebooting then freezing in boot-up, and doing the same.
i have cleared the app data and cashe.

Any feedback or help that isnt "just do a reset" will be greatly appreciated.
maybe a way to manually reset the phone back to marshmello? that would be tremendously helpful.

There will be no manual way to reset to Marshmallow - nothing official anyway.

For the record, I have had zero performance issues with my Moto Z Force Droid before and after the Nougat upgrade.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to repair the OS using the instructions in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...may-not-work-properly-message-boot-error.html

maxdrez

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site

For the record, I have had zero performance issues with my Moto Z Force Droid before and after the Nougat upgrade.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to repair the OS using the instructions in this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...may-not-work-properly-message-boot-error.html

Thank you! I will try this ASAP and report back. currently my phone is stuck in the startup menu of a fresh factory wipe. (because it froze again and got really hot so i removed the SD card and did another wipe to no avail)

i had suspected that maybe the base OS file on the phone that it was restoring from had a data corruption or something causing the errors.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thank you! I will try this ASAP and report back. currently my phone is stuck in the startup menu of a fresh factory wipe. (because it froze again and got really hot so i removed the SD card and did another wipe to no avail)

i had suspected that maybe the base OS file on the phone that it was restoring from had a data corruption or something causing the errors.

Also - try running with the SD card.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why I get this message every time I restart my phone? I have to go in and reset app preferences every time. What is causing this? Is there a setting to fix it?

Attachments

• 65549.jpg
    65549.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 89

sstea

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to help. I tried multiple times to reload the software, with full wipe and reinstall apps manually. This is a very bad software defect with Moto Z Nougat, that not everyone has triggered yet depending on your apps, usage, etc...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to help. I tried multiple times to reload the software, with full wipe and reinstall apps manually. This is a very bad software defect with Moto Z Nougat, that not everyone has triggered yet depending on your apps, usage, etc...

What are the steps to reproduce?

ch5220

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
After doing the factory reset last Thursday it had been working fine without any freezing at all the next four days, until today when it froze once earlier today. This is extremely frustrating.

maxdrez

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Also - try running with the SD card.

Back again, so I did a clean install of the OS, with no SD card, and the phone actually froze DURING the transfer multiple times in the bootloader menu. so that was an indication of a processor or graphics card problem. maybe even main motherboard issues.
I got it to run a clean install on the third try, after booting It froze again. so I wiped it and ran the OS from a mirror on my SD card after a clean format of the SD card. Not surprisingly that also didn't work,
I contacted Motorola today and requested another phone, finally got it all processed after 3 hours of phone waiting and will be receiving my new phone within the next few days.
This will be my 3rd droid force, so hopefully it has no problems!
To any other users with the same issue, if a single clean install doesn't work, don't waste your time and just contact the repair center of Motorola directly and get the next day replacement, when you get past the terrible redirect center and actually get a repair center tech they are quite helpful.

sstea

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
What are the steps to reproduce?
I wish I could figure that out. It has frozen more than half of the time immediately after I connected on a phone call, but a number of times just with random usage... I started to think it was related to Bluetooth. Today after it froze on a phone call, I forced it to power cycle and it would freeze within a minute after booting while I was trying to use the phone. This happened a couple of times, until I shut off my Bluetooth headset and power cycled it a third time and then worked normally. Really hard to isolate without having any diagnostics logs to see what was leading up to each freeze.

Thanks

mike186227

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
Is the freezing up still an issue with Nougat? I have not updated my phone yet to this version. I'm waiting until most of the freezing issues are resolved?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is the freezing up still an issue with Nougat? I have not updated my phone yet to this version. I'm waiting until most of the freezing issues are resolved?

Latest update that gave us December security patch made no mention of any bug fixes for "freezing" issues.

Bien1814

May 23, 2017
Visit site
Anyone know why I get this message every time I restart my phone? I have to go in and reset app preferences every time. What is causing this? Is there a setting to fix it?

I kept getting the same message with wifi app and i could not switch networks. After googling the problem it turned out to be caused by another app. If you can't figure out which app is causing it all you can do is go to factory settings

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I dont think it is N, if it was this forum would be blowing up with similar issues. Mine has been just fine on N after months of heavy use.