SD Card issue

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Having a weird issue with a new Z Play i picked up.
The phone sees the SD card, but when i tap on the SD card (where it should take me to the usage screen) it flashes the screen and then stays on the main storage screen. I also can't browse the SD card in file manager. Play Music also didn't see it as well.

However the phone has no issues writing pictures and video to it, and looking at them later. The SD card also shows up and works fine when the phone is plugged into my PC.

Any ideas?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the card formatted as internal or external? (You got the choice the first time you had the card in with Marshmallow.)

Run SD Insight on the card (install it first, of course). Is the card the full size? What's the date of the card?

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't given the choice. My plan was to insert it, then go reformat it (it came out of my S7) and be good to go. I also tried a card out of my tablet as well, same results.

The card is a 128GB Sandisk card purchased at Best Buy in summer 2015. Model SL128, from 4/2015

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Is the card formatted as internal or external? (You got the choice the first time you had the card in with Marshmallow.)

Run SD Insight on the card (install it first, of course). Is the card the full size? What's the date of the card?

Rukbat, curious on your thoughts, good and bad, of internal vs external????

Bosgarage57

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Your card is probably about dead. Same thing just happened to me. File manager under category I was able to see it but if I tried to browse to it it wouldn't recognize

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I considered that, but what's the odds of me having 2 cards that work in 2 different devices but not this one? The other card is a 32GB Sandisk - they are both Ultra cards.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I would copy everything from the sdcard to your PC. Then format the card using your phone and transfer everything back to your sdcard.

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I found one more SD card to test with (out of my digital camera). 32GB Kingston card. Same thing.

So I have 3 cards that work fine in other devices but don't in this phone - but this phone has no issue using the SD card (I just pulled 5GB worth of video off the original 128GB card that I shot on the phone over the weekend - no issue).

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I've tried both actually. Just to be sure now, I did the following:

1. Eject/unmount card in settings
2. power down phone, remove SD card
3. boot phone with no SD card, shut phone down
4. reinstall 128gb card, reboot phone

Same issue. It still shows 4.51GB used (which is what WAS used this weekend, before I removed the videos I mentioned above via USB this morning). There should be almost nothing used on the card at the moment.

jbird68

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I can't use my 32gb card either. I can see it in system/storage. But that's it. ES Explorer or File Manager can't access the card. There are apps on the card. So I think it was working at one time. I also can't put a check to view external storage data. It is grayed out.
2ed1647870aff8869ea99557e1959a55.jpg

bchandler02

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
It was fixed for me under Marshmellow in one of the recent security updates.

I just upgraded to Nougat last week and after the upgrade, the phone was rebooting every few hours. I've since wiped the phone and added everything back over a few days. The only thing I haven't done is re-encrypt the SD card, which I am about to do now. Nervous to do that as I am curious if the encryption is broken again under Nougat.
See this thread for more details: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums...to_Z_Play/thread-id/989/highlight/true/page/2

jbird68

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I ended up reformatting my card and it is reading OK now. I didn't have much on the card so I didn't lose much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii