Backflip: The worst phone

LovinPineapple

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought this phone a few months back. Ive been having some of the following issues, just wondering if there is a firmware update, mod, or hack that could fix the problems.

1. Top half inch of touch screen doesnt work
  2. Phone randomly makes calls while locked, if called person hangs up then it makes another call
  3. While sending a message, it opens previous message
  4. 3 bottom buttons dont work most of the time (home button, back button and notification button)
  5. Randomly flips through screens when im not touching anything
  6. Opens apps randomly (during a call, message, or when locked - killing my battery)
  7. Wont accept the unlock code.. Enters random numbers that i dont press, therefore locking me out.
  8. So many more issues, too many to list.
Is anyone else having these problems? Is this just a bad phone or is there an update that will fix these problems? Any help is greatly appreciated, karma gets the best of us. :D

dante501

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
A friend of mine had it it is just a horrible phone. There aren't a many good android phones on att. Probably the nexus one and the captivate and the HTC aria are the best on it. I probably would choose the nexus then captivate then aria. But since I am with sprint and use the evo. But ya the backflip just horrible phone.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Done think their is a hack for the scree. Thus not functioning sounds like you got a dude take it back to att and show them the issues that your having. If they give you the option to switch take it the backflip is a phone that shouldn't have been released

kelboswell

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine (or rather, three) in under two years. This is the absolute WORST, USELESS piece of crap ever designed. I guess AT&T was trying to sway folks toward the iPhone. It pocket dials even when locked. Takes FOREVER for the phonebook to load. Tiny, unresponsive touchscreen. Won't run Firefox (or ANY real browser for that matter). Internal browser won't even display simple HTML correctly. Goes 'stupid' when rings, and will not allow me to answer. Will NOT connect to wifi without rebooting. Speaking of rebooting, how can ANY company expect their customers to wait >4 minutes for their phone to 'reboot'? I have had a mobile phone since 1997, and this phone, without a doubt, is the WORST by far. My blood pressure goes up every time I have to call-out on it. It always defaults to 'All Contacts' in the phonebook which shows all of the Facebook people. (>400) for me. Steps to make a call:

Green contacts button -> wait 10 secs
'All Contacts' are shown
Change to 'Motoblur Phonebook' -> wait 10 more secs
Screen FINALLY appears, but won't scroll for another 5 secs -> has spinning 'flash'-looking thing
Select contact -> button doesn't highlight, phone goes stupid for another 5 secs
Contact info FINALLY appears
Touch phone number -> again, no feedback from phone, just wait another 5 secs
If the touchscreen actually responded correctly, the call will finally be made. If not, it's anybody's guess as to who is on the other end.

I could understand problems if I was doing anything 'special'. I'm just trying to make a frekkin' phone call.

AT&T is of no help whatsoever. As soon as my contract expires, you can rest-assured that I will 'Rethink Possible', and go with a network that 'Delivers Possible'.

I think we all should band-together and start a class-action lawsuit against AT&T and Motorola, and INSIST that our money be refunded.

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I went back to using my HTC Fuze to get away from using that piece of garbage. I'll go back to using my Samsung Blackjack I before I go back to using that piece of garbage.
The screens won't scroll unless I swipe just right When somebody calls me I swipe to answer and nothing happens. I have to swipe three or four times before I can answer a call.
It freezes and hangs constantly. And that cute keyboard that was so cool at fist is getting on my last little nerve.
And the battery cover SUCKS.
And the battery sucks! I had to get another battery off ebay because the original battery couldn't just die like a normal battery. No the (*&^^%&$&*^**%^^$#%^%&*(*&&*^%&^%$&*^ thing swelled up like a balloon. It swelled up so bad the battery cover wouldn't stay on.

rht_rv

May 3, 2010
Visit site
haha mine works perfectly for me. i am running CM7 on it, no problems at all. isnt blazing fast, but i cant complain at all. use most apps on this, and games on my nook.

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
lol I saw the title and had to laugh. My fiance has the backflip and it is god awful. We've replaced it with an Aria (which she dropped and broke ) then a Blackberry (which she dropped and broke). And now today we're back to the backflip :(

c_elliott83

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Junk! I got a backflip the day it was released opened the box and pixel problems from start up.

Phone2: ditto

Phone3: again

Resolved problem: blackberry

Lol

red.foxx15

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on the backflip when i heard it was coming to ATT (imma former G1 user and hated giving up my G1 to go to ATT) Motoblur on that proccessor with that amount of RAM made for a nightmare of the phone. At first chance i upgraded to the Samsung Captivate and thought my nightmares were over until water damage put my Captivate out for the count with upgrade being months away. Having to return to the Backflip i found myself greatly inspired to learn about rooting and custom mods. I come to find that a combo of CM7 and Backflip make for a nice pair. I was having alot of the software issues posted in this thread but i found that CM7 got rid of my woes and made this phone much more bareable. Im now on the Atrix but i still keep my backflip handy for things like terminal connections. I find a physical keyboard is too good to give up with things like that.