Constant contacts Issue

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone. Looking for a little help. My g/f has gone through 2 Devour's so far. At first we had thought the phone was defective but after the second phone (which was shipped new to her from Verizon, not a refurb.) I'm starting to think it is software on the phone doing it.

What happens is every other day she will loose all of her contacts. They just disappear. She will sync her phone again with her G-mail account and everything will come back but then 2 days or so on later they're just gone again. No one in the Verizon store know's really what the problem is or really what they're talking about. They're saying at first she needed to master reset her phone. Then the second time around told her she had too many apps in the phone (She had the out of the box app's and dl'ed maybe 4 or 5 apps off the market) so that is when I told her to just stop going into Verizon. She called and got Verizon to send her a new one and for 3 days it kept the contacts, now they're gone again. I've been on these forums for a while and know that alot of member's know more than even customer service reps so I figured maybe I'd ask here for help.

Sorry for the long thread and Thanks in advance for any help.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Well a little update, in case anyone else is suffering from similar problems. She contacted Verizon and got someone who actually wanted to help. The rep called the Motoblur department and they say they don't know what it is. They don't think it's their prob. When the Verizon rep heard that she ripped the person from Motoblur apart and explained to my g/f that she'd call her back tonight after she tries to contact someone else from Motoblur.

Still if anyone has any help on this topic feel free to post something.

tallgrl45

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey, this sounds like a real tough issue and maybe your g/f wants to try to get out of having the Devour if possible on these grounds, which in reality, is probably a good idea. I have the Devour and have not had this issue. If she has gone through 2 phones, maybe the issue is with one of her google or facebook settings. I haven't heard of this problem before. As much as I like my Devour, I can't help but notice all the new and more exciting options on the horizon and the fact that Verizon does not care about this phone at all. So, we'll probably be stuck on 1.6 until we get new phones. Maybe you should try getting her something that doesn't have Motoblur on it. Good luck!

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input. She should be getting the third phone on Mon.-Tues. So we will see what goes on with that. It is a shame they don't look into trying to update to 2.1. I know it has alot to do with Motoblur but then they should have not even made it. It such a nice phone too, it is a shame. I told her try the next phone they send and then if there is no luck she'll get the Incredible. What sucks is that the Incredible came out 3 days after her return period expired.

Anyway thank you for your help.

tallgrl45

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Well, I eat my words. My phone deleted all my contacts tonight. Roughly 3 hours later it fetched my facebook contacts again, but all the numbers & contacts I added outside of facebook are gone. I have already butted heads with the Verizon people about this and I pretty much plan to complain until they give me a different phone. RIP Devour, you had so much potential.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
LOL (Not at the situation but at the "RIP Devour"). I don't get what is wrong with this phone. It is def. a Google syncing issue and Verizon has no sign of understanding or knowledge at all to help anyone with the phone out yet. Keep haggling them until they send you either a brand new Devour or a dif phone completely. She got her 3rd Devour and so far so good but it's the 3rd day today (The day it always has deleted everything) so we will see. If this don't work out she's getting the Incredible. Haven't heard of any issues like this one besides on the Devour.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I got my son the Devour he loves it we have has NO problems so far. Only had to pull the battery one time he had it about 1.5 months now. It a nice little phone just wish they would put the 2.0 update on it.

Gmaxxx

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Supposedly the Motorola CLIQ is getting 2.0 fall this year so I'm assuming any other 1.6 phones would be getting it as well. Only problem with the Devour is that Verizon seems not to care too much about the phones issues so therefore who knows.

anon(30235)

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
After spending HOURS troubleshooting issues with Contacts on my wife's Devour, I finally came up with a solution. Basically I had to not synchronize Google Contacts and then unlink Google from every contact in order to get the voice dialer to work. I absolutely hate MotoBlur. What a pain in the @$$. My Droid Incredible has worked perfectly out of the box without any of the issues the Devour is having.

ImNotCarlos

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad to have found this thread -- tonight I experienced the exact same issue. Suddenly all of my contacts had vanished, Facebook contacts as well as contacts I had added in manually. After restarting my phone, removing the battery, etc I was able to re-sync but now none of the pictures are showing up and I no longer have any of the numbers I had added on the phone.

Honestly I have had several problems with the Devour since the first day I bought the damn thing. The first night I had it, 1.6 froze at least three times resulting in my having to re-start the phone. Various glitches occur on a weekly basis, usually touch-based, granted I ignore the slow operation of the system itself.

Speaking of touch-based issues, ever since re-syncing my phone, my favorites section (I added several widgets of my 'favorite' contacts) no longer functions properly. If I click on a contacts widget, it will simply open up the contacts list and not lead me to that specific contact.

Please keep updating if you can, I'm intrigued to know what I'll be going up against this week when I start calling Verizon.

tallgrl45

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Give Verizon a call, tell them your issue. You may want to go to your gmail, go to contacts and export the contacts you have on there. At least that's what I did, who knows if it was necessary. I would stress how you lost contacts, say they were important work contacts and you can't have an unreliable phone in your line of business (regardless of if this is true). They should transfer you to a tech person, tell them what happened and also tell them about the other issues you've been having. They will probably say "let's do a factory reset" and you should just argue that you will lose all your contacts then and still be left with a defective phone and ask them to send you a new (read: refurbished) phone. They should comply. I haven't successfully argued my way out of having the devour yet, but i've heard tell of others who have. If you manage it let me know your arguments. Good luck.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion would be to not bother adding contacts to the phone itself at all. Add them via gmail on the web and then any contacts you absolutely must add via the phone, later create a contact with the same name via gmail and then link the contacts.

What I mean is log into mail.google.com in your android browser and click the link at the bottom of the page that lets you switch to the web version of the site rather than the mobile one. It's a pain, I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38