Removing "Voice Commands" app

MofoMan2000

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted my Devour and I'm trying to remove the Voice Commands app. It's very slow to load, my girlfriend and I constantly hit the button on accident and it's something neither of us ever use. I'd like to know?
1. Does removing Voice Commands cause any stability issues?
2. If not, where is the app in the filesystem? I was searching for it for weeks. I finally found something to go on in the "info" on the app. It was nuance vsuite 3.2 apparently, and searching for "nuance" in Root Explorer showed me a "vsuite.apk" or something similar. I removed all traces of that, and now the Voice Commands app closes as soon as it opens, but it still opens and tries to start up and the process still shows up in task managers. Is there any way to even stop this from happening, or does that cause stability issues with Android or Blur or anything?

EDIT: after restarting the phone everything I did was reversed. Is there a way to permanently remove this annoying thing?

EDIT2: it appears I was mistaken. Removing the vsuite app enough times finally got it to stay away but now if I press the button, whatever app I'm currently using force closes. I wanted to remove the app so I wouldn't be interrupted at all. Is there any way to work around it? Like, what if I replaced the vsuite app with one that did absolutely nothing except run a semi colon?

Last edited:

Cerin

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I used Root App Remover to recycle (i.e. delete) the app. I immediately got a "android.some.component" has unexpectedly halted, Force close?" Selecting force close just brought up yet another prompt, ad infinitum. I started freaking out, because it basically made my phone unusable. Then I did a hard reboot by yanking the battery. After the reboot, everything seemed to work just fine...

MofoMan2000

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I found that out long ago. :p But now, every time you push that button it closes whatever you have open, right?

Make that button work for you rather than force closing everything. Turn it into the Android "search" button the Devour lacks! This is the post explaining how:
Remap voice command button? - Android Forums
The file in question is /system/usr/keylayout/adp5588_keypad.kl

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty