Question Another 'meta services' question.

Katerpie

Dec 19, 2023
Visit site
So, I have the 'meta services' app running in the background of my phone (Samsung Galaxy note 20 ultra 5g). The Only facebook apps I have installed are messenger and Instagram. And it obviously starts up when I open or use messenger in any way. I rarely ever use Instagram, but I would imagine that triggers it to run as well.

Everything I have come across searching for how to disable or remove it, always ends in removing meta services from the apps. As in uninstalling it. Or removing the meta installer app.

The problem I'm having is, neither of these show up in neither options and settings and all. Nor thw pull up menu with all your apps. Nothing at all shows up when 'meta' is searched for anywhere on the phone.

Any one have any ideas for this?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if the OS version on your phone will be the same (but it should be something very similar at least), but if you go to your phone's Settings, then look for the Apps section, there should be a search bar there. If you type in 'Meta' the three usual installs should show up. It won't, however, let you uninstall as these aren't actual apps, they're services. That means another app installs/manages it (in this case, any app from the Meta 'universe', like Facebook, Messenger, or Whatsapp).

Reactions: Laura Knotek

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
You're focusing on the wrong target. Whether you have only one or several of Zuckerberg's data mining apps on your phone, the primary source of the all that data collection is within Meta's online servers.
Your phone is just the end-point, how you interact with whichever Meta service(s). it's your online account that you need to look into. That's where all your FB Messages, Instagram, whatever data is managed and stored.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
You're focusing on the wrong target. Whether you have only one or several of Zuckerberg's data mining apps on your phone, the primary source of the all that data collection is within Meta's online servers.
Your phone is just the end-point, how you interact with whichever Meta service(s). it's your online account that you need to look into. That's where all your FB Messages, Instagram, whatever data is managed and stored.
My wife bought me a Meta Quest 2 VR headset for my birthday... I don't have any social media apps on my phone, including any Facebook or Meta owned derivatives. I do (begrudgingly) have to install the Meta Quest app on my phone tho, but anytime it's not being actively used it will be force stopped 👍