Hands On Experience with the D3

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I was able to play with the D3 for a few days now at my store. I thought i would give me pov since i handle phones all the time and have used nearly every android device from vzw and other carriers.

First off, let me start by saying that i was blown away when i first got the D3 in my hands. The build quality, the keyboard and the design is unreal. I wasn't expecting to like this phone, because i've never really been a fan of phones with keyboards and the d1,d2 line up. I was even able to take it home and test the device. Battery life is better than the d2, dx, dx2 and even the charge. The screen is gorgeous and motoblur is non intrusive unlike moto's older devices. I really love the turn off effect as well. I was able to do some heavy testing like run fb while checking gmail and playing nova 2. Also as i was going all those i was switching to messages and even with live wall paper it ran like a champ. Usually when i do a test, i will play a game like nova 2 for about an hour. Then i will do a test call and leave the phone on a call for about 2 hours(average talk time a day). I also kept on auto sync and live wallaper. Of course through the day i did the usual like texting, browsing the internet, d/ling apps and even video chatting. After all was said and done, from 10am to about 9pm i was still at about 30%. Lastly, I can say enough about the keyboard and how good it is. Its nice to have dedicated #'s and the keys themselves feel really nice. I dont care for keyboards and i personally think virtual ones are better(swype, swiftkey and thumb keyboard), BUT im on forums a lot and i have my own blog, So maybe it's time.

Put it this way, im ordering my own D3 tomorrow and selling my Thunderbolt, because as of right now my city will not have 4g until oct. I love my TB, but the D3 has won me over.

Hope this helps!

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I was using qik, but I will look into other options for you guys. Nova does not come on the device, we at verizon have a google acc where we can dl whatever we want so we can test.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

xxspark89xx

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I was using qik, but I will look into other options for you guys. Nova does not come on the device, we at verizon have a google acc where we can dl whatever we want so we can test.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Revert: NOVA 2 does come on the device. Fellow Droid 3 user here.

So does Let's Golf and some other game.

xxspark89xx

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
What's this now?

Please tell me you can video chat with a computer one way or another...

-Suntan

Video chat via GOOGLE TALK is not operational yet. It must be some google thing to enable it when its officially released. The front camera does work, and I've heard (yet to confirm) that the front camera works with other third-party apps.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Nova does come on the d3, I i thought it was d/led by another fellow employee here. As for google talk, not a lot of devices have it yet. I know you can use it on the Xoom. I'm going to try using and i'll get back in the next hour with the outcome.

xxspark89xx

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Define 'officially released'... it's official on the Nexus S, I believe.

The "Droid 3" hasn't been officially released as of yet. The date is July 14th for in-store release. Some people at the Motorola Support forums were speculating that it's just a matter of time for Google to update their system with the "Droid 3" device in order for the proper version of Google Talk to be operational on the Droid 3.

As of right now, I've tried initiating a video call to my Droid 3 with Google Talk, results = no dice. It's just a matter of time though. The Droid 3 has Android 2.3.4 pre-loaded, Google just has to update their system and such from what I can gather.

stillpwning

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Were you running with GPS on all day with your tests? I have a Droid 2 and keep it off unless it's needed because it drained my battery so much. It'd be nice to be able to keep it running all day.

xxspark89xx

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Were you running with GPS on all day with your tests? I have a Droid 2 and keep it off unless it's needed because it drained my battery so much. It'd be nice to be able to keep it running all day.

To put it into perspective:

Battery Statistics

Current Percentage: 50%
Time on battery: 4 hours, 23 minutes, 23 seconds.

Cell Standby: 23%
Wi-Fi: 21%
Phone Idle: 18%
Android OS: 12%
Display: 9% (WOW.. that's at 50% brightness!)
Voice calls: 8%
Social location: 4%
Android System: 3%
Maps: 3% (GPS turned on, using latitude)

This has been un-plugged for almost 5 hours. Don't let the 50% battery fool you, I've gone an additional 4-5 hours just to get to 30%. (This is a standard battery)

WIFI is turned ON, Bluetooth OFF, GPS is ON, Sync is ON, Screen Brightness is ~50%

Bottom Line: Android 2.3.4 + Droid 3 = Better Battery Performance

Reactions: stillpwning

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Google talk is nowhere to be found as of right now. As for the GPS, I only left location on and did not use the stand alone option. If you want, I will use it the next day and leave it on and see how the d3 reacts.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I really like the lentils screen. Hands down the brightest screen and the best screen in sunlight.

Sent from my HTC Flyer P512 using Tapatalk

Payne78

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I like your review of the D3. I just read a pcworld review that said to pass on the phone, but your review has me back on the fence. I had a OG Droid, now have a D2 and would like a D3 for the keyboard. What's the concerns with the pentile screen? also how's the picture taking quality?

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I like your review of the D3. I just read a pcworld review that said to pass on the phone, but your review has me back on the fence. I had a OG Droid, now have a D2 and would like a D3 for the keyboard. What's the concerns with the pentile screen? also how's the picture taking quality?

So far, I am on the fence about the phone. Love some aspects (keyboard in particular) hate some aspects to though. Incredible amounts of bloat, exchange performance is meh, and like my former D2 G, phone seems to run hot. However all that said, the PC World review was wacky. I have not experienced ANY of the instability described there. Honestly, as somebody who may or may not keep the phone, I encourage you to ignore that review.

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
So far, I am on the fence about the phone. Love some aspects (keyboard in particular) hate some aspects to though. Incredible amounts of bloat, exchange performance is meh, and like my former D2 G, phone seems to run hot. However all that said, the PC World review was wacky. I have not experienced ANY of the instability described there. Honestly, as somebody who may or may not keep the phone, I encourage you to ignore that review.

I read the pcworld review and was confused. I opened Nova and played it with no issue, I also saw a different review where she played through it and commented how well it ran.

I also have no problems with Let's Golf 2, I actually play that quite a bit. It's hokey but I like the simple meter golf games.

FWIW I am still using the stock launcher and live wallpaper with no issues. I am not sure what they did to the test unit they had. Also, my battery life has evened out.

Oh I went to bed last night at 60% and I am plugging it in now at 40%, I played some Lets Golf, did some texting and browsed the net a bit over that period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty