Keyboard Issue - Anyone else experiencing this?

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Randomly when inputting text via the physical keyboard, the space bar will keep adding additional spaces after I press it and wont stop until a key is pressed. It doesn't seem to happen on the virtual keypad at all, only on the physical one. The action of the space bar button feels perfectly normal.

Anyone else heard of or seen this issue?

Any idea on what the best course of action would be. Wipe and see if it still happens at all, and then as I add apps back? Or not even bother and just take it back and make Verizon replace it under warranty since I am past my 15 day golden time but still under manufactures warranty?

Liljoepr

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I've experienced that with mostly letters. It kkkkkkkkkkkeps adding the same letter. Very annoying. If anyone knows a fix let us know. Thanks

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
After reluctantly performing a factory reset (I really hate having to get every little item tweaked back just the way it was), it appears my issue is probably hardware related. No change in performance after the reset. If anything, it may have made it worse... Now, occasionally it will my miss my space bar input and run two words together. I have had one instance where the B button gave me multipule B's with only one push... Or maybe it is just the hardware starting to progressively fail on this particular unit.

Oh well, whatever is the cause, a "like new" replacement will be here tomorrow. Alas, I wish Verizon still did 30 days on their phones.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem and had to get a replacement phone. The replacement has had zero issues so far. I have been using it for about 6 days with no problem. I also did a couple of factory reset's (no 3rd party apps loaded) and it did not fix the sticking spacebar issue

I also had bluetooth connectivity issues with my first phone that I haven't experienced on this one.

Cosmo Questi

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I began experiencing the similar keyboard problems with my Droid3. Sometimes the the space key will not add a space when pressed, sometimes it will double or triple space, and sometimes, the cursor will run on and add spaces until I click on another key. This problem started about three weeks after I bought my Droid3, and has been getting worse over the lst several weeks. I've done a factory reset, which did not solve the problem. I think it is a hardware issue. If you look at the keyboard, you see that the space key is VERY much wider than the other keys (not a complaint, it should be much wider). It does make me wonder though, if the space key has the same activator switch under it as do the other keys. If it does, then perhaps the problem arises when the space key is pressed at either lateral edge, rather than directly at the center. From here, it looks to be a hardware issue, which is a huge bummer. The keyboard on the Droid3 is the whole deal for me.

I took the phone into the local Verizon company owned store, and they were able to reproduce the problem. They looked into their computer system, and said they had "no reports of issues like this". However, the guy ahead of me in line was there with the same problem, and they were able to reproduce it on HIS phone, too. Freaky "co-incidence", right? I'm not sure what to do at this point. The Droid3 is "back ordered" and the store said that even if I wanted to return it for a refurb, they didn't have one for me. I really do like the phone, but if the keyboard is unreliable, what's the point?

I hope we hear something official from Verizon/Motorola on this, and soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress