.890 OTA Update

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else get this yesterday? I got it while I was at work last night.

I was wondering if anyone has noticed any major differences.

I haven't had a chance to play with it a lot yet but I have noticed that it is a little snappier when flipping through menus and home screens. Camera loaded faster, but the shutter lag didn't really improve. I've only taken a couple pictures to test it out and I haven't seen the blue tint. Redraws are still happening too.

I tried to test the GTalk video chat with my GF but she declined the invite since she was at work. lol

gregom

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I took the risk of installing it last night as well. Haven't noticed anything major. However I did turn swype on it wasn't getting the correct words at all... come to find out the input language for swipe was set to Spanish! I didn't set it, nor did I even go into swype settings so I'm not sure how that got set. Maybe it came that way with this update.

I haven't really used my phone yet much so I don't know what else has changed. I read the changelog, but didn't see anything that I really use to care about or look into. Plus i'm still learning Android as this is my first time I decided to get and keep a smart phone.

gregom

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
So this is weird... the help section for Swype is in Spanish as well, despite the fact I have English selected on every language option on my phone. Does anyone else have this problem??? My update is the ENGLISH version: 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US

fjfisher601#AC

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
So this is weird... the help section for Swype is in Spanish as well, despite the fact I have English selected on every language option on my phone. Does anyone else have this problem??? My update is the ENGLISH version: 5.6.890.XT862.Verizon.en.US

Gregom- The version I downloaded from a link at droid-life - (source xda) was
Blur_Version.5.5.959.XT862.Verizon.en.US.zip

Not sure what is differnet form my .959 and your 890 ..... Just an FYI :eek:

Regards

Fred

harrisondisc

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Gregom- The version I downloaded from a link at droid-life - (source xda) was
Blur_Version.5.5.959.XT862.Verizon.en.US.zip

Not sure what is differnet form my .959 and your 890 ..... Just an FYI :eek:

Regards

Fred

The difference is 5.6.890 instead of 5.5.959. I didn't unroot, nor did i unfreeze any of the bloat apps, I just downloaded it from droid-life and put it on my sd card. Booted into recovery and loaded the .zip. It required one battery pull after it rebooted and boot looped, but otherwise it loaded fine. Root worked just like before. Boom.

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine keeps defaulting to the 30 second screen timeout, no matter how many times I reset it to another setting. When I'm doing things the screen will turn off at times and when I go to hit the unlock button it'll turn on and then turn right back off.

The blue tint is gone, but, it takes grainy/blurry pics and the shutter speed lags even worse at times. At one point it even reset the phone when I turned the camera on.

I don't use Swype so I haven't noticed that. I'll have to check that out.

I'm really starting to regret getting a D3 over the DInc2.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I took the risk of installing it last night as well. Haven't noticed anything major. However I did turn swype on it wasn't getting the correct words at all... come to find out the input language for swipe was set to Spanish! I didn't set it, nor did I even go into swype settings so I'm not sure how that got set. Maybe it came that way with this update.

I haven't really used my phone yet much so I don't know what else has changed. I read the changelog, but didn't see anything that I really use to care about or look into. Plus i'm still learning Android as this is my first time I decided to get and keep a smart phone.

I installed the 890 update when it leaked a few weeks ago. I had the exact same issue with Swype being in Spanish. I changed it to English and all was well, until a few days later I noticed it had changed itself back to Spanish, but the setting was still set to English. So, I switched it to Spanish, back to English, then I did the same for the overall phone language. After that, it is been set to English ever since.

-SR-

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site

Swype has its own language setting that is separate from the language setting for the phone.

-SR-

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I had a moment of weakness and jumped on the band wagon and loaded the update. I, like some other member, had a problem where the screen would shut off prematurely. A few times the the screen shut down immediately after being started. It became annoying. One of my first thought was that something was running and became incompatible after the update so I turned off all applications running leaving the services untouched. I played with the phone for a while but the problem was still there.

The next thing that I did is remove software that i had downloaded in installed. Sheeeesssshhhh! I didn't know that you could install that many applications! I left a handful of software installed like K-9 e-mail, Juice Defender, Sudoku(This is very important! :) )

I shut down the phone and then restarted it.One thing I noticed when the phone booted up was that Juice defender was not loading, Since I didn't change any settings, I figured that I didn't need to do anything. I was wrong! (Don't tell my wife I said this! I'll deny it!) All of my original settings were gone as if I had just installed it for the first time. For simplicity, I set Juice Defender to a balanced profile.
Since then, I no longer have this issue.

My phone has never been rooted and it seems that the update does not install cleanly if you have other software loaded.

If the major issues that were listed:
1) Standby shows as being reasonable
After 16h:08m off charge, phone idle at 8% and cell standby at 7%
Android OS at 17%
Voice Calls at 15% 24Minutes
Display 13%
Slacker 13% It ran for 4h 43m with a total cpu time of 21m 20s sent 104.42KB and received 480.87 KB
Wi-Fi 13% Wi-Fi running for 9h 20m
Media server 7%
Dolphin Browser 7%
Android System 2%
Market 2%

After all this, my battery still showed 20%

2) Blue photos. Gone!

3) GPS locked in 7s

does not lock on. Mine almost never locks on. I have tried removing battery, standing on my head. trying different orders of unticking and re ticking the gps settings. Nothing works

4) Random restarts. Never had one that I know of.

5) Prior to the upgrade I was having problems with the keyboard where a key would continue repeating. Haven't seen this since the update but I think it's premature to say the update fixed it.

After all this, I do have a question.

Since I did the manual update, will I be able to get the final update via OTA?

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Well I just got a update notification, so i decided to along with it. But after reading this i'm not sure. Should be fine though.
Only had blue photo's once and that was using the hdr+ camera, then again those were the only outdoor pictures i took.

Cappurnikus

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I had a moment of weakness and jumped on the band wagon and loaded the update. I, like some other member, had a problem where the screen would shut off prematurely. A few times the the screen shut down immediately after being started. It became annoying. One of my first thought was that something was running and became incompatible after the update so I turned off all applications running leaving the services untouched. I played with the phone for a while but the problem was still there.

The next thing that I did is remove software that i had downloaded in installed. Sheeeesssshhhh! I didn't know that you could install that many applications! I left a handful of software installed like K-9 e-mail, Juice Defender, Sudoku(This is very important! :) )

I shut down the phone and then restarted it.One thing I noticed when the phone booted up was that Juice defender was not loading, Since I didn't change any settings, I figured that I didn't need to do anything. I was wrong! (Don't tell my wife I said this! I'll deny it!) All of my original settings were gone as if I had just installed it for the first time. For simplicity, I set Juice Defender to a balanced profile.
Since then, I no longer have this issue.

My phone has never been rooted and it seems that the update does not install cleanly if you have other software loaded.

If the major issues that were listed:
1) Standby shows as being reasonable
After 16h:08m off charge, phone idle at 8% and cell standby at 7%
Android OS at 17%
Voice Calls at 15% 24Minutes
Display 13%
Slacker 13% It ran for 4h 43m with a total cpu time of 21m 20s sent 104.42KB and received 480.87 KB
Wi-Fi 13% Wi-Fi running for 9h 20m
Media server 7%
Dolphin Browser 7%
Android System 2%
Market 2%

After all this, my battery still showed 20%

2) Blue photos. Gone!

3) GPS locked in 7s

does not lock on. Mine almost never locks on. I have tried removing battery, standing on my head. trying different orders of unticking and re ticking the gps settings. Nothing works

4) Random restarts. Never had one that I know of.

5) Prior to the upgrade I was having problems with the keyboard where a key would continue repeating. Haven't seen this since the update but I think it's premature to say the update fixed it.

After all this, I do have a question.

Since I did the manual update, will I be able to get the final update via OTA?

The screen turning off problem is likely an option in your display settings called pocket detection.

I "installed" the OTA update today... bricked the phone. Had to take it back to verizon and am expecting a replacement tomorrow. I wasn't rooted, everything was stock.

darthakakios

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
So, after reading this thread, I went into my settings and about phone menu and every time I try to check for system updates it tells me that "Check for update is not available at this time. Try again later." I have 4 bars in blue 3G coverage so I doubt that is the problem. Is there some reason I am unable to even check for an update?

shanshor

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I installed the update OTA after unrooting. I have rerooted, and everything is fine. The camera's blue tint is definitely gone! Nothing new i have noticed besides that.

anthonyzul

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I received the OTA today. So far I haven't noticed much of anything. However, it does seem as though video chat was enabled in Gtalk!! I never noticed it before now, so I am assuming it just happened with this update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty