Fears about the Droid MAXX

boochrisboo

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
any ofyou fear the droid maxx not being supported since Motorola will focus on their flagship Moto X?
Already seeing leeks of new updates for Moto X and Tmobile already released fix for Moto X camera...No word on it for the Droids.
BCB

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Maxx is only on Verizon, and only T-Mo released an update. Since the hardware is the same, I would bet all the new Moto phones will get the update at once.

Verizon will of course be last, due to their heavy handed way of operating.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
yesterday at 9pm, punit soni, vp of product mgmt at motorola, said this on g+ "Goes through various carrier labs, gets approved and then we push it. I am optomistic things will move quickly. All improvements will come to all devices we launched recently."

now if only he had tweeted that ish so i could link to it properly. (twitter has built in button to use bb code for forums). but here's the thread, look in the comments: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+PunitSoni/posts/CvNEXYfmK5t

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The popularity of the Moto X actually probably helps us with updates. Our phones are nearly identical to the Moto X, aside from the screen size (but same resolution & screen type), capacitive buttons, battery size, and a few Verizon apps. That means it takes very little effort for updates for Moto X hardware to be made to work on our phones. If I were going to be concerned about support, it would be if the Moto X flopped, and Motorola might choose to focus on their next product lineup over this one.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The popularity of the Moto X actually probably helps us with updates. Our phones are nearly identical to the Moto X, aside from the screen size (but same resolution & screen type), capacitive buttons, battery size, and a few Verizon apps. That means it takes very little effort for updates for Moto X hardware to be made to work on our phones. If I were going to be concerned about support, it would be if the Moto X flopped, and Motorola might choose to focus on their next product lineup over this one.

Exactly. This is a big advantage versus every phone being a unique platform that needs a unique build. In fact I get the impression that the software for all of the 2013 Droids and the Moto X is identical.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Motorola has been pretty aggressive about pushing updates to the droid phones since the google acquisition.

We'll see what happens when it happens...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The Droid 3 didn't get ics because Motorola didn't care - it didn't get ics because the 512 MB RAM in the phone was not enough to give a good experience with a full build of ics. Here it is more than two years after the Droid 3 came out and there are still not ics custom roms that are good enough to give full functionality for an everyday rom.

Because this phone's cpu is a bit on the low end I could see a time two years from now where maybe it doesn't get the latest update of Android for similar reasons. We may not get 4.3, but I'm sure we'll get 4.4. It may not be as timely as a Nexus or Google play edition device, but it will come. Anything after that - who knows?

But I also think that anything the X gets this phone will get, definitely. The Droid 3 is not a good predictor for this phone, as Motorola and verizon delivered both ics and jb to all 1 GB LTE phones (bionic, Razr series, Droid 4) that came with Gingerbread. That should be a good sign for the ultra/mini/maxx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra