Z2 Force my best smartphone yet, Moto or other

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Purchased at Best Buy Oct 2017, so have now used it daily for over three months. This is my third Motorola and Android smartphone (2015 Droid Turbo 2 and 2013 Droid Maxx, prior).

I can't say enough positive things about this phone: Super responsive (iPhone X fast, perhaps?), excellent battery life, very fast Turbo charging, great Motorola camera app (much improved from earlier versions), very useful fingerprint sensor, usable voice recognition (both Google Assistant and Moto Voice), and more.

Many misinformed web reviews (even from some of the most popular tech sites) almost steered me away from the Z2 Force, but I'm glad ignored them.

Criticism of the Z2 Force's smaller physical battery size vs. original Z is off base, battery life is actually higher due to much more efficient Snapdragon 835 processor and other components. Also, most reviews over focus on Moto Mods, which I consider fairly useless (I own none), but the Z2 is still a great flagship phone without them.

The Z2's front fingerprint sensor is brilliant with Moto "One Button Nav" enabled to use finger swipes that are much faster than the standard Android home, app, and back buttons, plus it increases screen real estate for apps. It's also very fast for locking and unlocking with a quick touch -- I truly don't see how iPhone X FaceID can be faster or easier than this.

Physical size and weight of this phone is ideal if you use a protector case. Without one, it's too thin to grip, but that's the point of its design. IMO, most other smartphones become *too* thick with protective cases.

Verizon's flexible glass screen protector is inexpensive and makes the Z2's plastic shatterproof screen look and feel as nice as any glass phone screen. I love that this Z2 (and my prior DT2) is shatterproof, it's already survived several hard drops with zero damage.

The new Moto camera app is a great improvement, very easy to use and some great features, and I now prefer it to iPhone and Google Camera apps. I especially love the Moto Action "quick capture" twist hand gesture to open the camera app (had this on DT2, as well), by far the fastest method I've ever used. I can twist the phone while coming out of my pocket, and the camera app will be open and ready to take a picture by the time I have it aimed at the subject (and while everyone else is still fumbling with their iPhones). I've snapped many great "fleeting moment" vacation shots thanks to this capability.

The Z2's dual camera lens Depth Mode effects are also fun. I've generated some very artistic blurred and black and white background style shots. Action mode multiple exposure works great too, very fast and easy to review and discard unwanted shots.

(FYI, I've posted example depth mode photos in the sticky photo thread on this forum.)

The Z2 Force camera is still deficient vs other flagship phones in low light, esp. with its lack of optical image stabilization (OIS). But outdoor daylight shots are great. And FWIW, there are also some pretty positive reviews of the Z2 camera app's Professional mode by advanced photographers, too.

The "chop-chop" Moto Action hand gesture for flashlight on/off is brilliant, something I use multiple times every day on nighttime dog walks, in dimly lit rooms, in dark cabinets, etc. Seriously, it makes for the best flashlight I've ever owned, since it's instantaneous to turn on, very bright, and always in my pocket!

Motorola also improved voice recognition by enabling both Google Assistant ("OK Google") and Moto Voice ("Show Me") to wake and unlock the phone hands free, something very few other brand smartphones can do. Moto Voice "Show Me" is a handy complement to "OK Google", I do use it regularly to open apps with my voice, near instantaneously, esp. when the phone is locked. "OK Google" on this Z2 works virtually the same as on my Google Home (in fact, both respond together when I'm home, which works fine).

Other than low light camera improvements, the only other missing feature I anxiously await on my next Moto flagship phone (Z3 Force?) is IP68 waterproofing, which will be a de facto flagship trait in 2018 and beyond.

VZWsucks

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
@KeithLa

You're absolutely correct in that alot of other reviews put a heavy focus on the MODS, I don't think I would need them. Thanks for commenting on the smaller battery and battery life. The reviews had me on the edge about this.

I'm still using the original turbo and will be looking to get a new phone down the road. This phone still works great but, it will be 4yo this October and I've been reading several reviews on the Z2.

I'm been with Motorola since they had the Krazr, then several BB models and now the Turbo. I was considering Samsung but, your review saved me.

Thank you for your review.

KeithLa

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
You're welcome! Of course, by October you'll have more and even better choices available, perhaps even a Moto Z3. Either way, any new phone you get, sooner or later, will run much faster and last longer vs. your 3+ year old DT. (Unless you've replaced your battery, I'm guessing your battery life is way down by now.)

To be 100% clear, I didn't use a first gen Moto Z, so can't directly compare my Z2 Force battery life to one of those. But there are others on this forum doing so, plus many reporting better battery life than other current flagships they've used.

If you like the unique Moto gesture, voice, and display features on your DT, I think you'll really appreciate Moto's refinements and additions to them.

One thing last summer's Z2 Force reviews did get right, at the time, was complaints about its full retail price. On Best Buy + Verizon promotion last Oct, I paid closer to US$500 for mine, and then sold the free promotion Instashare projector Mod on eBay for $150.

If low light camera quality is important to you, then Samsung probably performs much better on that.

On Moto Mods, I can't help observing that nearly all of them have standalone counterparts -- Bluetooth speakers, compact digital cameras, Polaroid printers, battery packs, etc. -- that are a lot better and cost much less. And I don't see how snapping a speaker or projector onto the phone an advantage, if you then can't hold and use your phone, and have to fumble around removing/replacing its regular protective case to add the Mod.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You are spot on about the battery. I have been using my LG V20 since November, but I switched back to the Z2 Force when the Oreo update came out.

Battery life is rock solid.

ShinyDimples

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Heavy user.... and this phone is Rock solid in build and performance. Battery is more than expected for sure. Easy day and a half of use before I have to charge. The turbo charge is super fast. Best phone I've ever had. Verizon flex screen protector and I can't tell any difference that's is a plastic screen. Z2 Force is a Excellent Phone. .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've seen the main criticisms of the Moto Z2 Force being:

- lower battery life because of the smaller battery than the previous generation Force
- dated design due, mainly 16:9 and significant bezels vs. 18:9 and reduced bezels
- Moto Mods restricting design updates
- camera not up to par with the current generation (S8, G6) or even previous generation (Pixel)

They're valid concerns, in my opinion.

anon(9842641)

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Purchased at Best Buy Oct 2017, so have now used it daily for over three months. This is my third Motorola and Android smartphone (2015 Droid Turbo 2 and 2013 Droid Maxx, prior).

I can't say enough positive things about this phone: Super responsive (iPhone X fast, perhaps?), excellent battery life, very fast Turbo charging, great Motorola camera app (much improved from earlier versions), very useful fingerprint sensor, usable voice recognition (both Google Assistant and Moto Voice), and more.

Many misinformed web reviews (even from some of the most popular tech sites) almost steered me away from the Z2 Force, but I'm glad ignored them.

Criticism of the Z2 Force's smaller physical battery size vs. original Z is off base, battery life is actually higher due to much more efficient Snapdragon 835 processor and other components. Also, most reviews over focus on Moto Mods, which I consider fairly useless (I own none), but the Z2 is still a great flagship phone without them.

The Z2's front fingerprint sensor is brilliant with Moto "One Button Nav" enabled to use finger swipes that are much faster than the standard Android home, app, and back buttons, plus it increases screen real estate for apps. It's also very fast for locking and unlocking with a quick touch -- I truly don't see how iPhone X FaceID can be faster or easier than this.

Physical size and weight of this phone is ideal if you use a protector case. Without one, it's too thin to grip, but that's the point of its design. IMO, most other smartphones become *too* thick with protective cases.

Verizon's flexible glass screen protector is inexpensive and makes the Z2's plastic shatterproof screen look and feel as nice as any glass phone screen. I love that this Z2 (and my prior DT2) is shatterproof, it's already survived several hard drops with zero damage.

The new Moto camera app is a great improvement, very easy to use and some great features, and I now prefer it to iPhone and Google Camera apps. I especially love the Moto Action "quick capture" twist hand gesture to open the camera app (had this on DT2, as well), by far the fastest method I've ever used. I can twist the phone while coming out of my pocket, and the camera app will be open and ready to take a picture by the time I have it aimed at the subject (and while everyone else is still fumbling with their iPhones). I've snapped many great "fleeting moment" vacation shots thanks to this capability.

The Z2's dual camera lens Depth Mode effects are also fun. I've generated some very artistic blurred and black and white background style shots. Action mode multiple exposure works great too, very fast and easy to review and discard unwanted shots.

(FYI, I've posted example depth mode photos in the sticky photo thread on this forum.)

The Z2 Force camera is still deficient vs other flagship phones in low light, esp. with its lack of optical image stabilization (OIS). But outdoor daylight shots are great. And FWIW, there are also some pretty positive reviews of the Z2 camera app's Professional mode by advanced photographers, too.

The "chop-chop" Moto Action hand gesture for flashlight on/off is brilliant, something I use multiple times every day on nighttime dog walks, in dimly lit rooms, in dark cabinets, etc. Seriously, it makes for the best flashlight I've ever owned, since it's instantaneous to turn on, very bright, and always in my pocket!

Motorola also improved voice recognition by enabling both Google Assistant ("OK Google") and Moto Voice ("Show Me") to wake and unlock the phone hands free, something very few other brand smartphones can do. Moto Voice "Show Me" is a handy complement to "OK Google", I do use it regularly to open apps with my voice, near instantaneously, esp. when the phone is locked. "OK Google" on this Z2 works virtually the same as on my Google Home (in fact, both respond together when I'm home, which works fine).

Other than low light camera improvements, the only other missing feature I anxiously await on my next Moto flagship phone (Z3 Force?) is IP68 waterproofing, which will be a de facto flagship trait in 2018 and beyond.
I know reviewers are heavily biased towards sasmung phones, i clearly didnt considered it in my list , but once i got hands on it, the snappy performance got me, i got one for around 375$ with free projector, after using for 2 months ,i think its far better performance than my Samsung phones.

The only problem for me is screen scratch issues which i know before buying it, had 3 tempered glasses before buyijg it. Battery is amazing . I play vainglory alot. It can definitely take the 5 to 6 games without any heat.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So glad you are enjoying your Z2 Force; and that the battery life is good for you! You're right about the Snapdragon 835 making battery life better. That specific processor is supposed to be very good at that.

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I feel this is bang on. I've been using mine for long enough that I don't even think about upgrading it. It's that solid. At the end of the day, I usually have 76-65% battery left.

I think it truly is a hidden gem and Moto doesn't do enough press about it. I also think the media is biased against Moto and ONLY looks at Samsung and iPhone. For those in the media reading this, get a clue. Take off the blinders and do your JOB and look at other devices. Yes its EASY to talk Samsung and iPhone, but life DOES exist outside Samsung and iPhone. Those of us that have the Moto these days know that.

My ONE and ONLY complaint is that the Z2 Force isn't waterproof. Is it a big deal? Not really. (Until that accident happens and then it IS a big deal...)

I see it as I've got a GREAT device and I love it. I really don't care what others have, it works GREAT for me!

As for the mods go, the ONLY thing I would have to say is that is the BEST implementation of accessory tech IN THE MARKET. I LOVE the battery packs out there. They are subtle and sublime and don't really add much to the phone, yet significantly increase battery. I pretty much laugh at people that carry chargers and A/C adapters now. I keep mine in my coat pocket in case I need it. If I do, just pop it on the back and keep going with my day. The combo of the phone and the battery pack is still very slim and I can use it like as if it wasn't even there. It's part of my EDC and I love the sense of security it gives me, not that I need it very often, but I know it's there.

cjreyes666

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Got the phone as a backup during a CyberMonday deal at T-Mobile for 300. I have always liked Motorola take on a clean version of Android, I had previously owned a G series phone as a backup. I had used a LG V20 as my primary phone since launch, and was planning to upgrade to a V30. But after using the phone for a few weeks I kept it as my primary phone. The reasons why, the Android skin that Motorola applies is very lightweight, no lags, no stutter or freezes. The battery life has been great, not like the one on the Moto Z Play, but still great. The size of the phone is good for my needs, not too big nor too small. Also, I like the fact that Motorola still implemented the micro sd card, that is one feature that has kept me from getting a Google phone. There are few things that hopefully we will see in the next Z phone that would be good implementations. Such as waterproofing, better camera performance especially in low light, improved technology with there shatter proof displays and probably a much bigger battery. When I first bought a Z line phone was for my dad and it was the Moto Z Play. At that moment I did believe the mods where to expensive for what they offered. But with the Z Play we got the JBL speaker for free, at this point I have bought three style shells, the gamepad, incipio offgrid wireless battery pack, Turbo pack, Folio Mod, JBL 2 speaker, Hasselblad camera and i received the Insta Share Projector for free. I haven't spend over 300 in all the mods that I have, point is if you ever bought a Moto Mod full price, the you are doing it wrong. I have used all the mods in different scenarios, I swap between the style shells to provide a different look to my phone, the wireless battery pack when I'm at work, the Turbo pack during long days, my kids use the Insta Share Projector when we camp also in a cook out during the Super Bowl I was able to project the game as if we had a big screen, the Hasselblad camera has been used as well when camping and the JBL 2 speaker I use it at nights when listening to music. The Z2 Force is a great phone, even more if you can get at a discount price even better. When it comes to the mods all have their purpose, the ones a have bought have served me well so far and if you can get them for cheap even better. For example, Best Buy has the Hasselblad Camera Mod for 150 and if you buy three select mods they knock 25% off the price of all the mods. So again, if you are buying the mods at full price you are doing it wrong.

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
first day since Oreo that I haven't used the turbo mod. down to 10% battery with 4hrs of sot and 17hrs off charger. no top up today.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos