Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scooph
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Daydream on the Droid MAXX

    Loving my new MAXX, but I haven't been able to get the Daydream feature to work, except by tapping on Start Now. The When to Daydream selection does not work. I have tried setting it to While charging and Either (I don't have a dock), but neither of those settings causes the phone to Daydream when it is charging. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-04-2014 at 11:55 PM.
  2. #2  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    6,664 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,705 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    It should start when the screen times out when set to either of those settings and on a the charger. Try setting the display off setting to 30 seconds temporarily to see if it's coming on. Is the display turning off after the alloted time or just dimming or staying fully lit?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Thanks for responding.
    I set the sleep time to 30 seconds. (It was at 5 minutes before.) After 30 seconds, the screen dimmed, but Daydream did not start up. It is charging.
  4. #4  
    Darth Spock's Avatar

    Posts
    6,664 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,705 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Can you turn the power off, then turn it back on (should be on the lock screen) and let it sit from there? (want to see if that works, it just did on mine).

    Edit: I guess mine did either way, just took about 10 seconds from when it dimmed. Do you have "Stay Awake" checked or unchecked in developer options?
    Last edited by NothingIsTrue; 09-25-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Update
    Thanked by 2:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    "Stay awake" in developer options was the problem. I must have checked it when I was playing with the phone on the first day. I unchecked it, and Daydream started in 30 seconds. Thanks for the help!
    Darth Spock likes this.
  6. #6  
    Snareman's Avatar

    Posts
    1,145 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,147 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    When I tried it last night on the charger it left the capacitive buttons on. Sort of defeated the purpose of a nice mellow clock.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    When I tried it last night on the charger it left the capacitive buttons on. Sort of defeated the purpose of a nice mellow clock.
    Are you still having this issue? I am and it drives me crazy
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlyle Christensen View Post
    Are you still having this issue? I am and it drives me crazy
    Set a screen lock such as key code or pattern and the option where the power button locks it. With the screen off, hit the power button once to go to the lock screen but don't unlock. Daydream should start shortly without the keys lit.

    Alternatively you could do the one touch root and use capacitive keys pro app to leave them off entirely.

    Sent from my DROID MAXX
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    I know this an old thread but I thought I'd add my experience. I'm using a wireless charging pad (QI) and found that Daydream only works when the phone is charging. Not when it's on the pad but when it's actually accepting electrons. When the charge is complete. Daydream stops working. I believe it may also conflict with Active Display.
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by j mauly View Post
    I know this an old thread but I thought I'd add my experience. I'm using a wireless charging pad (QI) and found that Daydream only works when the phone is charging. Not when it's on the pad but when it's actually accepting electrons. When the charge is complete. Daydream stops working. I believe it may also conflict with Active Display.
    I use the same type charger. I find this super annoying as I wanted to use my phone as a night clock and alarm. When it turns off it defeats the whole purpose. I haven't been able to find a work around. Any ideas?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by nateonator View Post
    I use the same type charger. I find this super annoying as I wanted to use my phone as a night clock and alarm. When it turns off it defeats the whole purpose. I haven't been able to find a work around. Any ideas?
    Plug it in to a USB charger rather than use the Qi charger overnight.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by nateonator View Post
    I use the same type charger. I find this super annoying as I wanted to use my phone as a night clock and alarm. When it turns off it defeats the whole purpose. I haven't been able to find a work around. Any ideas?
    I hate to say it, but this is why people like their iphones. Everything just works. I have been hugely frustrated by this issue with my tylt charger. There are several possible workarounds to keep the clock visible while the phone is on the tylt all night, but all of them have problems. They make the phone continuously charge, which I just know must be terrible for the battery in the long run. You can use the developer option to make the phone stay awake and/or you can use the Alarm Clock Plus app, which dims the capacitive buttons and has options that will keep the clock visible all night. But all of these options feel like lame workarounds for something that should just work if the design, software, and hardware were all integrated. What a mess.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    CharlesH's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Plug it in to a USB charger rather than use the Qi charger overnight.
    I also find it incredibly annoying that, unlike the USB charger, the clock goes away when charging is complete. For me, the whole point of using the wireless charger is being able to just toss the phone onto the charger and have my bedside clock, without fussing with plugs.The dock on my Blackberry went even further, and automatically put the phone into a customized bedside profile. Very convenient.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Daydream on the MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    I also find it incredibly annoying that, unlike the USB charger, the clock goes away when charging is complete. For me, the whole point of using the wireless charger is being able to just toss the phone onto the charger and have my bedside clock, without fussing with plugs.The dock on my Blackberry went even further, and automatically put the phone into a customized bedside profile. Very convenient.
    There is a magnetic sensor for a dock mode somewhere on the back of the phone. I know the car dock is on the side of the phone in the back directly opposite the volume buttons in a line through the Moto logo on the back. Try putting a magnet along that line and maybe you'll find the spot for the desktop dock mode.

    You can also buy the desk dock, which should launch the Daydream mode that you want, just like the BB. PowerDock for Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra, and Droid Maxx | Griffin Technology - that has the magnet in the proper place and orientation when you place the phone.

    That was designed to do precisely what you want. The wireless charging was not - it was designed to charge the phone and then stop the charge to protect the phone. If you really want daydream mode overnight while charging, then buy the device that was designed to do just that.
  15. #15  
    CharlesH's Avatar

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

    Default Re: Daydream on the Droid MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    There is a magnetic sensor for a dock mode somewhere on the back of the phone. I know the car dock is on the side of the phone in the back directly opposite the volume buttons in a line through the Moto logo on the back. Try putting a magnet along that line and maybe you'll find the spot for the desktop dock mode.

    You can also buy the desk dock uh, which should launch the Daydream mode that you want, just like the BB. PowerDock for Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra, and Droid Maxx | Griffin Technology - that has the magnet in the proper place and orientation when you place the phone.

    That was designed to do precisely what you want. The wireless charging was not - it was designed to charge the phone and then stop the charge to protect the phone. If you really want daydream mode overnight while charging, then buy the device that was designed to do just that.
    Thank you for the pointer to the Powerdock.

    But USB chargers DO stop charging when the battery is full. Even trickle charging a lithium battery when it is full can lead to a catastrophic failure. According to the battery monitor app that I have, the only difference in the overnight charging pattern between the two is that the phone stays in "charging" mode with the USB but not the wireless charger.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Daydream on the Droid MAXX

    Quote Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
    I hate to say it, but this is why people like their iphones. Everything just works. I have been hugely frustrated by this issue with my tylt charger. There are several possible workarounds to keep the clock visible while the phone is on the tylt all night, but all of them have problems. They make the phone continuously charge, which I just know must be terrible for the battery in the long run. You can use the developer option to make the phone stay awake and/or you can use the Alarm Clock Plus app, which dims the capacitive buttons and has options that will keep the clock visible all night. But all of these options feel like lame workarounds for something that should just work if the design, software, and hardware were all integrated. What a mess.
    That's the thing - Qi charging wasn't designed to start dock mode. You may want it to, but it wasn't designed that way.

    I have nothing against iPhones. I think that they're great devices, well designed, and, for the most part, you are right - Apple does a great job thinking design elements through. Not everything, though. Notifications are still a bit of a kludge. Why only show a certain number per app? Why not let me dismiss individual notifications? The truth is that no single mobile device or OS is perfect and works exactly the way you specifically want it to. (Not to mention the fact that the iPhone doesn't support wireless charging anyway. Kind of unfair to tar the Maxx as poorly designed for not showing Daydream while on a Qi charger when the iPhone won't, either.) In the case of using Daydream mode on a Droid Maxx, there is an easy answer - plug the phone into power. That will work just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Thank you for the pointer to the Powerdock.

    But USB chargers DO stop charging when the battery is full. Even trickle charging a lithium battery when it is full can lead to a catastrophic failure. According to the battery monitor app that I have, the only difference in the overnight charging pattern between the two is that the phone stays in "charging" mode with the USB but not the wireless charger.
    You're right, but the phone still senses power from the USB cable and acts as if powered. The Qi charger is designed specifically to stop charging, period, probably to prevent overheating the battery and coil. And, to be specific for the Maxx, it really appears that Motorola meant the Qi charger to be used for charging only, not to start dock mode. Maybe the best way to try to get that behavior changed is to contact Motorola and ask if it can be added as a feature.

    I have a Tylt myself, as well as an Airdock in my car right now. I have no need for Daydream mode anyway, but I use the Tylt only for top-up charging during the day. I only plug in the phone at night - that way I know that the battery is fully charged when I wake up in the morning. I understand what you want - you have a wireless charger, you want to use it. But, if you *really* want Daydream mode, and that's really, really important, plug the phone in.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you zoom on the camera?
    By Bloodthirsty in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 09:36 AM
  2. Issues getting straightalk working on my phone.(and general problems.. :( )
    By David420 in forum Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 01:32 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 10:18 PM
  4. What's the best android phone?
    By torcator in forum General Android Device Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 08:25 AM
  5. Since today is the official release day for the Note 3...
    By MannyZ28 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions