Battery charging question

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
does it harm the battery if i leave it plugged after fully charged? i usually leave it plugged in overnight while i sleep. i hope that's not going to ruin the battery. plus i want to plug it in at night even if i have plenty of juice left just to get it back to 100% by morning.

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Its a lithium battery so it pretty much doesn't matter. It most likely goes into some sort of trickle charge mode at the end when its fully charged. The only real caveat I've only found is that going below 15 percent should be avoided if possible. Running it down there about once a month should be just fine but be sure to charge it up to full directly after.

fat-fingered and Maxx-ed out.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
Its a lithium battery so it pretty much doesn't matter. It most likely goes into some sort of trickle charge mode at the end when its fully charged. The only real caveat I've only found is that going below 15 percent should be avoided if possible. Running it down there about once a month should be just fine but be sure to charge it up to full directly after.

why what does that do? i sometimes get my original razr maxx down to below 10%. that's not good to do?

Einsteindks

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
why what does that do? i sometimes get my original razr maxx down to below 10%. that's not good to do?

Some sort of technical chemical mumbo jumbo about the characteristics of a lithium battery, which I don't remember, let alone fully understand. Its not a hardcore, set in stone, cut and dry type of rule but just a general guideline. I'm guilty of it too, but I try to avoid it when I can.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Li-Ion batteries have an embedded protection circuit against overcharging .... and against deep discharging so their cells should never go down to 0%.

Though I'd not risk it to run my phone down to 0% ;)

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've always had the compulsion to take my phone off the charger shortly after hitting 100%. I've stopped overnight charging, but I'd still like to know if it is harmful to the battery if the phone is left connected to a charger after hitting 100%.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Install a battery monitor app like 'Battery Monitor Widget' and let it show you what happens after hitting 100% ... at a log or at a graph.
There isn't any amperage flowing, meaning, there isn't any charging.