Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    scosch's Avatar

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Sky Raider/6.1 IMO kernel

    Default so whose camera is better after update?

    Just wondering if anybody is noticing the dramatic improvements in the camera. After a variety of shots, I'm sad to say mine doesn't seem to be better. Colors still frequently washed out, and some areas still have a "faky" look to them, almost like the picture is a painting, not a photograph. Also some unnatural sharp lines around objects, like somebody traced the outside of them with a fine black line.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by scosch View Post
    Just wondering if anybody is noticing the dramatic improvements in the camera. After a variety of shots, I'm sad to say mine doesn't seem to be better. Colors still frequently washed out, and some areas still have a "faky" look to them, almost like the picture is a painting, not a photograph. Also some unnatural sharp lines around objects, like somebody traced the outside of them with a fine black line.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Post some examples.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    scosch's Avatar

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Sky Raider/6.1 IMO kernel

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I figured somebody would ask for examples Here are 2. The much warmer, better pictures were taken with a DSLR camera. Now I certainly expect a less quality shot with the MAXX, but to me the difference is quite striking, especially considering my old Galaxy Nexus, maligned camera and all, didn't have these same washout problems.
    so whose camera is better after update?-1.jpgso whose camera is better after update?-2.jpgso whose camera is better after update?-3.jpgso whose camera is better after update?-5.jpg
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    scosch's Avatar

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Sky Raider/6.1 IMO kernel

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I should also mention that the MAXX pics I just posted look basically the same quality as they did before the update. I don't really notice a difference.

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    p08757's Avatar
    ** Superhero **

    Posts
    1,569 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,066 Global Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I'm not sure. I'm really not that picky as long as the picture comes out as average. I think a lot of people are way more picky than I am. I think the camera is fine as is and have no complaints.
  6. #6  
    texasag03's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I think the Maxx picture is MUCH better. The colors appear more accurate. The warmer DSLR picture is off on the white balance, especially in the first example.
  7. #7  
    18t
    18t is offline
    18t's Avatar

    Posts
    444 Posts
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    photography is all about lighting. shooting indoors at night is tricky, especially with a cell phone. you can't (or shouldn't) expect the camera on the phone to take great pictures indoors at night. its a phone, not a real camera. they are meant to get you buy in situations (which it did), not replace your high end cameras. keep that in mind.
    ultravisitor likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I agree - the warmer picture on the left looks pretty bad. You're saying the one on the right is the MAXX photo? I'd say it's doing just fine for a phone camera.
    Ry, JimBen73 and hub1 like this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    I agree - the warmer picture on the left looks pretty bad. You're saying the one on the right is the MAXX photo? I'd say it's doing just fine for a phone camera.
    Agreed
  10. #10  
    ulnek's Avatar

    Posts
    503 Posts
    Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by scosch View Post
    I figured somebody would ask for examples Here are 2. The much warmer, better pictures were taken with a DSLR camera. Now I certainly expect a less quality shot with the MAXX, but to me the difference is quite striking, especially considering my old Galaxy Nexus, maligned camera and all, didn't have these same washout problems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	270.1 KB 
ID:	90341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	90342]
    i like the picture on the right better where it has better lighting and not too yellow.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I have gotten better pictures after the update. I find the flash works better on indoor pics now. However, the auto focus is slower.
  12. #12  
    ulnek's Avatar

    Posts
    503 Posts
    Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Westiemom View Post
    I have gotten better pictures after the update. I find the flash works better on indoor pics now. However, the auto focus is slower.
    i haven't had the flash go off at all. O.o it's on automatic. i know the led flash works cause i use it as a flashlight, but as far as taking pictures and having it go off, i haven't had that happen. it's weird because the same things i would take pictures of with my original razr maxx that would activate the flash, with the droid maxx it won't.

    by the way, i don't have the update yet.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    The flash wasn't going off for indoor shots when it needed to before the update if I had it set on auto. After the update with the flash set on auto, it is going off when it should. Camera still needs some tweaking but I think it is much better than it was before.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    OMG, how could anyone think the "much warmer" pictures (the left of the standing child) are better? The colors in the right picture look real and natural. If you'd asked me to guess which was the Maxx and which was a DSLR I would have said the left was a cheap cameraphone...
  15. #15  
    SeigaGen's Avatar

    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    699 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Kang/CM10

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by scosch View Post
    I should also mention that the MAXX pics I just posted look basically the same quality as they did before the update. I don't really notice a difference.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Did you enable HDR mode on the phone by any chance?

    Sent from my XT1080M (Droid Maxx) using Tapatalk 4 Pro
  16. #16  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    2,258 Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I am going to be experimenting with the camera today but I did take this while in downtown Phoenix this morning. So far the camera seems better but I won't really know until I take some more shots.

    I don't drink beer, but some of you might like this light rail picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails so whose camera is better after update?-light-rail.jpg  
    Ry and Stilly1155 like this.
  17. #17  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    2,258 Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    The camera has definitely improved. Was out with a Maxx today that had not yet been updated and in compatible pictures you could see the difference.

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    The camera has definitely improved. Was out with a Maxx today that had not yet been updated and in compatible pictures you could see the difference.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Nice shot of the Light Rail! Was it moving or standing still?
  19. #19  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    2,258 Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stilly1155 View Post
    Nice shot of the Light Rail! Was it moving or standing still?
    Thank you!!

    It was moving.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    I was fooling around last night in the living room and I feel the low light shots are better. I wish I had some shots before and after the update to share with you. Nice shot of the train.

    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  21. #21  
    Deron Baker's Avatar

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Carrier
    I don't root.

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Waiting for a train to arrive, I took some. One also includes a moving car. One is of my Dad's new Note 3 that I got today.

    Outside photos taken at 1:30 afternoon. The one taken inside my car is of my vehicle mount for the Droid Maxx. It's one of the best vehicle mounted I've ever used.



    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails so whose camera is better after update?-uploadfromtaptalk1384022256064.jpg   so whose camera is better after update?-uploadfromtaptalk1384022271890.jpg   so whose camera is better after update?-uploadfromtaptalk1384022294551.jpg   so whose camera is better after update?-uploadfromtaptalk1384022306962.jpg   so whose camera is better after update?-uploadfromtaptalk1384022318238.jpg  

    skatergirl likes this.
  22. #22  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    2,258 Posts

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deron Baker View Post
    Waiting for a train to arrive, I took some. One also includes a moving car. One is of my Dad's new Note 3 that I got today.

    Outside photos taken at 1:30 afternoon. The one taken inside my car is of my vehicle mount for the Droid Maxx. It's one of the best vehicle mounted I've ever used.



    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Very clear!
  23. #23  
    Deron Baker's Avatar

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Carrier
    I don't root.

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Hey, I should take a few pics of the same scene with my Dad's Galaxy Note 3 and my Maxx and compare them.

    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
  24. #24  
    Deron Baker's Avatar

    Posts
    314 Posts
    Carrier
    I don't root.

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Amazing. I spent 5 minutes messing around with the Snapseed app and look how well I was able to clean up the picture shot inside my car. The first one is the native picture. The second one is the enhanced. Really brings out the detail of the car mount.


    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails so whose camera is better after update?-uploadfromtaptalk1384043369750.jpg   so whose camera is better after update?-uploadfromtaptalk1384043384939.jpg  
    skatergirl likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: so whose camera is better after update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deron Baker View Post
    ... The one taken inside my car is of my vehicle mount for the Droid Maxx. It's one of the best vehicle mounted I've ever used....
    It looks nice. Which one is it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions