DROID MAXX: Lollipop Update News

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Since nobody's really brought it up, how long do you think it'll take until Android Lollipop hits the Droid Maxx?

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Android Lollipop for Droid Maxx?

March at the earliest, but I think it'll be more like may. The turbo doesn't have it yet, last year's Moto x either - both those phones will get it before the Maxx.

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

I am not in a rush to get this update. Let them work out the glitches and than send it our way. May is fine with me.

JMHO

GoBigRed4

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
If it ends up being around May, that will actually be perfect for those of us that picked up the Maxx at or around launch. That's because, as another person mentioned, the kinks of lollipop should be pretty well hammered out, and it will already be on the next iteration of this phone (Maxx, turbo, ?). I just hope the next one is out by the time I'm due for upgrade in August.

I have a nexus 9 so I've played around with lollipop. Other than cosmetics, I don't think there is much difference in functionality, but I do want some of the moto x (2014) features that were promised to come to the Maxx with lollipop, like a custom touchless control phrase.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

They seem to have run into hiccups with lollipop on the nexus 7, with some folks not having received it last I checked, due to releases being quietly pulled. They are already on 5.0.3, so 3 bug fix updates, and it's yet to be seen if that gets it all smoothed out. My thought is 1-2 months after its stable on all nexus devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Even though I updated everything to the Turbo I got an email today about a soak for ultra/mini/maxx from the Motorola team. Unsure what it is. Unsure if I can even get my wife's phone to do it on my account while keeping turbo as my main. But I got the email nonetheless.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

Even though I updated everything to the Turbo I got an email today about a soak for ultra/mini/maxx from the Motorola team. Unsure what it is. Unsure if I can even get my wife's phone to do it on my account while keeping turbo as my main. But I got the email nonetheless.

But do you think that would be the case? Seeing as the Turbo hasn't gotten a soak test.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'd say it's far more likely a bug fix to the recent volte update, a security fix, or something like that.

UnkleBidii1

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site

What did the email state exactly? I've been waiting eagerly for the Maxx update.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

But do you think that would be the case? Seeing as the Turbo hasn't gotten a soak test.

Not sure. I really don't. My first thought is the Turbo would go L first before the predecessors, but you never know. But I'm going to say no, it's not L. It's some tweaks and such.

What did the email state exactly? I've been waiting eagerly for the Maxx update.

Basically thanks for being in the feedback network, maxx/mini/ultra has an early preview of a new software release and they want you to provide feedback. Limited number of participants so don't wait to respond. Free hat. (Okay, so I made up that last one because of South Park.)

I put my wife's info in to see what happens. If she gets it, I'll tell you what it is if it isn't already plastered everywhere (should it be L on there before the Turbo). And she'll mess with it *IF* there is anything to it. And if it can be broken, well, she finds a way because I always have to fix something she does wrong. I swear she missed her calling as a device tester...

But I'll be back here to keep you all abreast of what's up.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure I count "load the game" as a reliable source of information.

I wouldn't be surprised if the turbo started a soak test by then, but I still think last year's Moto x gets the update before last year's Droids.

XDCX

May 14, 2011
Visit site

I just received Lollipop on my Nexus 7 and I really dislike the elimination of the stock email app.

The stock email app has been eliminated and consolidated into gmail. I haven't found a suitable replacement app and I won't take the Lollipop on my Droid Maxx unless I find one.

Maybe it's not a deal breaker for many but I don't see anything in Lollipop that I can't live without.

Posted via Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Try K9 mail. It was branched from the stock AOSP mail app several versions ago, so it'close, and it's a much better app anyway than the crappy Motorola app.

ThreeChordMonte

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I personally love Maildroid pro. Best email app on the Play Store.

Ole Man Dan

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

The Maxx could receive Lollipop before May.
Just like the last update, my Maxx has lately been updating my apps again.

Status
Not open for further replies.