Active Notifications

dally1981

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting kind of confused at this point with the availability of this feature on the Droid Mini. All reviews and information say that Active Notifications are on the Mini, but the Mini has an LCD screen and everything says that an amoled screen is the only thing that makes active notifications possible. Can someone help out on this? Thanks!

jperiod

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you on the confusion about the specs for this phone. At least a couple of sites say that this phone has a Super AMOLED display. The Motorola site is pretty vague about the display. So I guess we may have to wait until the phone releases to find out for sure.

JW

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Don't plan on getting the phone but was wondering the same thing. How exactly does that not just kill the battery on a LCD display

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

two_wheels

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
This makes me crazy, I swear when I pre-ordered the mini, the droiddoes.com site said the mini had the S-AMOLED screen just like the other two droids. Now they have changed the site to say TFT. I am going to cancel my pre-order until I get this all sorted out.

rabidhunter

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually, yes it does get active notifications.

Active display low?power notification system displays alerts so you can avoid constantly waking your phone.
Verizon Wireless

The Ultra and Maxx have an AMOLED display with a unique "Active Display" technology that can power up just the center of the display to show the time and notifications. This saves battery life It comes to life any time you pick up the phone, or any time you get an incoming notification. This replaces the notification LED with something more informative. You swipe up from a notification to jump right to that message or missed call. The Mini has a TFT LCD, so it doesn't have the battery life benefits, but it still has the Active Notification feature.
Phone Scoop

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
You can tell if it has an amoled screen if you go in a dark room, launch the camera app and make sure your screen is as dark as can be. An LCD will have the backlight lit up constantly while amoled you can hardly tell it's on when it's all black. If you compare amoled next to LCD you'll know what I mean
It doesn't make any sense to install active notifications app on a device with an LCD screen.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the Mini won't get close to the amazing battery life the AMOLED Moto X and Ultra will be getting.

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
But it seems the battery life is strong from all the reports. Cmon lets see the real deal already ;-) I'm considering getting this over the X. X has slightly larger screen but no wireless charging. Kinda sick of my current slow maxx that's big and bulky. Ready for a smaller form factor which is more pocketable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
But it seems the battery life is strong from all the reports. Cmon lets see the real deal already ;-) I'm considering getting this over the X. X has slightly larger screen but no wireless charging. Kinda sick of my current slow maxx that's big and bulky. Ready for a smaller form factor which is more pocketable.

Don't tell me about pocketable. I've been lugging around a Note II since January. I want a Maxx though.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

sholzer

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Haha. Well a maxx for you will be tiny then ;-) I run/gym/work. The old maxx I have is kinda heavy and large. The new stuff needs a smaller battery and is more efficient and also is more edge to edge these days.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I've seen some reports that Mini is on display at Verizon stores. If anybody goes to look, please see if it has OLED or not. Best way to tell is to open some screen that has an all black background (i.e., open up camera app and cover the lens COMPLETELY, or browse to a webpage that has a an all-black image, save it, open up gallery), and see how black it is. If it is essentially pitch black, then it is probably OLED. Compare it to a screen with a known LCD and note that even an all black image is grey-ish because the entire screen has to light up.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just texted with Motorola online. And they say it's amoled.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377141419600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377141419600.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 37

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
All tho I have heard a lot saying its LCD/ TFT display and I can't seem to find a video on youtube showing active notifications. And we all know how well "informed" customer service representatives are.

Verizon's website says:

4.3" edge?to?edge HD TFT display, 1280 x 720 Screen Resolution

And TFT is LCD....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
This is a chat from the Motorola website. LOL. I understand these are huge companies with thousands of employees, but it's just ridiculous that (1) they don't know what kind of screen the phone has, and (2) that they allegedly cannot tell me what kind of screen it has because it is "not yet available for purchase," when it CLEARLY is already available for purchase as of today.

Claire: Hi, my name is Claire. How may I help you?
Phostiadc: Hi. I am interested in the Droid Mini on Verizon. Does it have an LCD screen or an AMOLED screen?
Claire: I will be more than happy to assist you on this.
Claire: Let me check this in our system. One moment, please.
Claire: Thank you for patiently waiting and sorry for the long hold.
Phositadc: That's ok. Thanks.
Claire: This phone is not yet available for purchase and we cannot confirm that information yet.
You have disconnected.

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Just to add more fuel to the fire, I did another chat a few minutes after the first rep told me she couldn't give me the information. This guy says it has LCD. At this point, I'm assuming it has LCD. I'll be curious what the reviews have to say about the impact of Active Display on battery life with an LCD screen. Even if it's not bad, it's still a shame they didn't use AMOLED, which unquestionably would have been better on battery life with Active Display.

Jorgen: Hi, my name is Jorgen. How may I help you?
Jorgen: Hi Phositadc, I noticed you have been away from the chat session for 2 minutes. I?ll stay here until the next minute so I can continue to help you with your concern. Feel free to contact us again through our chat support so we can further assist you or you may also call our toll free numbers, please follow this link https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/call. Thank you and have a nice day!
Phositadc: I'm back
Phositadc: I am interested in the Droid Mini on Verizon. Does it have an AMOLED screen or an LCD screen?
Jorgen: I'll be glad to assist you.
Jorgen: Please hold on while I?m checking on this.
Jorgen: Thanks for waiting.
Phositadc: No problem.
Jorgen: The screen is not AMOLED screen on this device.
Jorgen: It has the LCD screen.
Jorgen: Anything else?
Phositadc: Ok. But the Droid Ultra and the Droid Ultra Maxx have AMOLED screens, right?
Jorgen: Yes.
Jorgen: Would that be all?
Phositadc: Are you certain that the Droid Mini has LCD? That would be really bad for battery life with the Active Display turning the entire screen on all the time. Could you please double check?
Jorgen: Yes.
Jorgen: It has LCD screen. However, the Droid Ultra and Maxx have AMOLED.
Phositadc: Ok, thanks for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mehammed