Will the techniques for rooting the motorola droid also work for the milestone?

hsftech

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey I was thinking about getting the motorola milestone because it is coming to my local carrier (Cellular South) which is a cdma type carrier in MS and I was wondering if you can root the milestone the same way you root the Droid and what about roms after it is rooted?

Thanks for your help

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It all depends on what Cell South does to the phone. at the very least, the OS will be SLIGHTLY different since it doesn't include any of the verizon stuff.

You should know that 2.1 is not rooted for the droid. The rooting methods all exploit you going back to 2.01 and rooting that way.

If you can root your phone, I don't think that you should flash any droid roms to your phone because of those differences.

That being said, the rom's shouldn't be THAT different, so once an official root is out for your device, Cyanogen, Pete or someone like them should be able to make ports of the rom for your phone.

*Disclaimer: I am not a programmer, but generally, as soon as you put a phone on a different network, things are different enough that it's not cross compatible.

hsftech

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info.. but where do go to find if there is an official way to root the Milestone and port what exactly do you mean

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
You won't know if there is a way to root your phone until some developers get a hold of the Cell South version of the Milestone. Like I said, each phone is a little different. Once the phone is released, there should either be a sub forum for it here, or one of the other android websites. That's where you'll hear about rooting if it happens.

As far as porting (aka making a version of software compatible with YOUR hardware) is something that either the Rom developers (Cyanogen, Pete, sirpsyco, etc) will do or someone new (like Koush for Cyanogen) will start developing for your phone specifically.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana