Official Froyo Update

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
So, it is common knowledge that 2.2 is officially being released for the Droid sometime next week. My question is, will you leave your phone running a custom ROM, or will you revert back to stock to accommodate this update? Do you think Motorola is adding some special/surprise new features through the update? For me, I think I will stay with Bugless Beast v0.4 (that is, until a new BB is released).

ebruot

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I see no reason to unroot for the update, the developers will post the version with root within a day or so anyways. I don't see Motorola adding anything special to the update. Just my opinion.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
motorola will probably not release any extra goodies. rumor has it that google made them push out the froyo update. from what is being said through the grape vine, motorola did not want to make the update because they felt it would take away from the X and droid 2 sales. google then stepped in saying that if they do not create and update then they will not let motorola's new devices access some of their services, im assuming the non open source stuff (ex. gmail, maps, etc). motorola probably put an average effort into the update only because they knew they had to. the froyo updates for the newer phones will probably get those extras which can hopefully be ported to the droid through apk or extracted and placed into roms.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I just used RSD Lite to go back to stock 2.0.1. Now,when I check for updates, it says my system is up to date. Why doesn't it show that 2.1 is available? And where can I get 2.1, as I'm afraid that Froyo will not be available if I have 2.0.1.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
You don't need rsd lite to unroot. All you need is the correct update.zip file and flash it from the recovery

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Their was no reason to unroot if the update is fro01b we've had that for over a week I personally ran it for a week
Edit
And I wouldn't doubt Brett's story to Google the d1 is the precursor to the n1 a Google phone shoot Google had alot to do with the d1 so its not unreasonable to think they would throw some weight behind this update

Last edited:

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
A bunch of Roms run well on my phone so I actually am still on CM RC-1 for the sheer fact I am content and tired of wiping. If I get really bored I will change to a new Rom or update when a Rom is based on the official.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have BB v0.4 and pete is working on v0.5 from the OTA update. I will not unroot, if anything moto will have less features than v0.4. My rom never restarts, never force closes and my battery life lasts almost 2 days even with it overclocked to 1ghz.

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
I have 2.2 via Sapphire 0.7.0

I am assuming when VZW pushes the update, I will not recieve it. I would like to get it thought, which I know means I will lose Root, but I am okay with that.

How can I either recieve the update and install safely, or manually install it the once someone posts it here? Do I have to go back to 2.0.1 first?

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I actually don't want root though. I just want the standard update.

I'm not sure if I can just manually apply the "update.zip" like everyone else (rooted or non-rooted) that apply the update when it comes out.

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
then the official Motorola update should be making its way on the web soon. manual updating is possible once you find the link for the update.zip

mscalero

Jan 28, 2010
Visit site
Awesome thanks! So I will just apply the manual update when it's posted, just like everyone else who is on 2.1 update 1?

Chillout80s

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I've got Pete's BB v.04 with Froyo now. I contemplated for a brief minute of flashing over to the stock version that will come out then but eh, no thanks, I love Froyo now as it is and all that BB v.04 has to offer.

Flash is awesome, nothing like watching vids on my Droid that all the iphone users can't see on theirs..LOL

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
motorola will probably not release any extra goodies. rumor has it that google made them push out the froyo update. from what is being said through the grape vine, motorola did not want to make the update because they felt it would take away from the X and droid 2 sales. google then stepped in saying that if they do not create and update then they will not let motorola's new devices access some of their services, im assuming the non open source stuff (ex. gmail, maps, etc). motorola probably put an average effort into the update only because they knew they had to. the froyo updates for the newer phones will probably get those extras which can hopefully be ported to the droid through apk or extracted and placed into roms.

This could not be further from the truth. Surprised you posted this Bitfix.

Their was no reason to unroot if the update is fro01b we've had that for over a week I personally ran it for a week
Edit
And I wouldn't doubt Brett's story to Google the d1 is the precursor to the n1 a Google phone shoot Google had alot to do with the d1 so its not unreasonable to think they would throw some weight behind this update

I can tell you that its not true.:rolleyes: