[How-To] Root FRG83 (2.2.1) for newbies

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Rooting your Droid while on the latest firmware is pretty darn easy. It can be done using an application you install on your phone, called z4root.

This application isn't available in the market, but thats a small hurdle and easy to overcome. All you need is a file browser, and your USB cable :)

File browser -- if you don't have one, I suggest Astro. There are many others, but Astro is very simple to use and I highly recommend it to those who might be new to the Android platform. Search for "Astro file manager" in the Android Market, and install it on your phone.

Then it's a few easy steps to root:
  1. On your computer, visit the z4root developer's thread at XDA-Developers. Read the first post in the thread carefully, and download the file that's attached. Also, notice the donation link if you feel like passing a few dollars to Ryan.
  2. Attach your phone to your computer, and just like you would drag a music file or picture to your phone, copy the z4root.apk file to your SD card. You can put it in any folder you like, just remember where you put it :)
  3. Unmount your SDcard from your computer, and unplug it.
  4. Go to menu>settings>applications. Make sure the "unknown sources" box is checked. Then go into the development settings, and make sure USB debugging is checked.
  5. Now open your file manager, and find the z4root.apk on your SD card. Press it, and choose Open App Manager (Astro gives this choice), then press the install button.
  6. Once installed, find the z4root app in your app drawer, and run it. Decide if you need a temporary root, or permanent. Select your choice, and go.

One last step you may want to do if you have chosen to permanently root is install busybox. Search the Android Market for "Busybox by Stephen (Stericson)" and install it. Busybox provides commands like copy and paste to the shell (the inner workings) of your OS.

Seba617

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
i have tried this multiple times and it has not worked once. also i have heard from many people that this does not work on 2.2.1 with the FRG83 build.

Seba617

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
i did install rom manager and flashed clockworkmod. now with my fascinate i needed to use odin to flash clockwork before i could use rom manager to flash the newest version. on the droid i just did it through rom manager. is that right? or did i miss a step. also any time i attempt to do anything now with a new rom or backup when it tried to boot into recovery is just shows a triangle with a cell phone laying down next to it. what does that mean?

BJRCollins

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
i did install rom manager and flashed clockworkmod. now with my fascinate i needed to use odin to flash clockwork before i could use rom manager to flash the newest version. on the droid i just did it through rom manager. is that right? or did i miss a step. also any time i attempt to do anything now with a new rom or backup when it tried to boot into recovery is just shows a triangle with a cell phone laying down next to it. what does that mean?
I would like to know the same thing. The "hold X" boot doesn't work.

Seba617

Jan 23, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know the same thing. The "hold X" boot doesn't work.

if u already did all the steps i did and flashed clockwork mod and have the triangle with the cell phone coming up when u try to boot into recovery its cuz clockwork didnt flash correctly. what u need to do is go into rom manager and at the top where it says "flash clockworkmod recovery" click on it and after u select droid (cdma) it should take 3-5 seconds to for it to say it was successful. if it doesnt then keep trying until u get it to say it within that 3-5 second window. when u do that u should be all set to install whatever rom u want.

drinkhere

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
i need your guys help please im trying to root my bother inlaws moto droid can anyone give me the easy way to do it. thanks for your time

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been trying to root my droid the easy way for days using superoneclick. I got root real easy, but I had a hell of a time trying to get a custom recovery to stick. I finally read through all of MotoCache1 instructions and understood.
I read this
While not technically part of the rooting puzzle, there is also the Flash Recovery Service (FRS). This service is installed by the OTA updates and is designed to keep your recovery partition from getting corrupted. Of course to your carrier, if you install a custom recovery, that is corrupted because it's not the one they want you to have. Each time your phone boots, FRS will check your recovery partition, and if it is "corrupted" it will attempt to flash it back to stock.

The update.zip in this procedure installs su, Superuser.apk, busybox, and disables FRS so that it all stays that way after each boot.

Motocache1 root method takes care of this and custom recoveries will stick if you root using his method.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering doing this on the fiance's droid since she is complaining about it. I headed over to CM and the directions over at CM are pretty straight forward. While not as easy as Z4 or OneClick they appear to get the job done.

Lkr

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
z4 has been running on my friend's phone for about 5 minutes and nothing is happening. if i shut it down, will the phone be ****ed?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty