So what's the other speaker grill for?

Sandman333

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
The DT2 has two openings that look like speaker grills on the bottom, but only the right one has a speaker. Don't believe me? Play an audio source and cover them with your thumb one at a time. It seems strange that there are two openings and only one speaker. Any guesses as to why?

Posted via the Android Central App

Turbo II

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I haven't peeked in there yet but I might assume it is a port, meaning an air hole for bass frequencies to pass from the the back of the single main speaker. I thought I read somewhere that the speaker "system" on the Turbo II was of the ported type. Basically then, the hole would be there to enhance the bass response of the sound system in the phone.

It's possible that a mic could be behind there as well. Looks like several ideas have been discussed on the original Turbo. I was going to post a link to another thread on this forum but don't have those privileges yet.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I haven't peeked in there yet but I might assume it is a port, meaning an air hole for bass frequencies to pass from the the back of the single main speaker. I thought I read somewhere that the speaker "system" on the Turbo II was of the ported type. Basically then, the hole would be there to enhance the bass response of the sound system in the phone.

Right, I thought it was that, too, particularly when somebody mentioned that covering that left hole with music playing made the sound terrible. Somebody else posted that it was a noise cancellation mike, but I really think that you are right, and the manual calls both opening "audio ports", so that sounds like a better explanation.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
If you look for the teardown video I posted there is a channel there from the main speaker. It probably does help with bass production.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa