Startup Greeting Missing after Marshmallow 6.0 Update, Has This Happened To Anyone Else?

RTICWOLF

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
Startup Greeting Missing after Marshmallow 6.0 Update

I have only had my Turbo 2 for a month and had the same issues as everyone else with the update failing on March 11. I decided to use the Verizon Software Update Assistant on my PC and was able to update to 6.0, but it literally took about 6 hours to download before the update could begin, not sure why.
Anyway, now that I am updated, I no longer have my startup greeting message that I did through Moto Maker when I customized the phone. It is the initial screen you see when you turn on the phone and appears above the Motorola logo.
I both did an online support chat and also called Motorola, and they were no help. I also did a chat session with Verizon, they really tried to help, but came up with getting a warranty replacement, but it would not be customized, so why do that.

Anyone else have the same issue? If so, any luck in resolving it?

millerman61

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I have seen this question more than once since the MM update started rolling out from people that ordered their phones through Moto Maker. I don't think anyone has found a solution.

adayoff

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Startup Greeting Missing after Marshmallow 6.0 Update

Unfortunately I cannot add any support for this post but am eager to hear if there's a reload or something.

I downloaded MM without any issues. A few days after install, I decided to do a FDR as my battery seemed worse. Not to mention, I thought a FDR would also fix (or prevent) anything else that my go wrong. I saw two options when doing the reset and it asked if I wanted to delete personal information. Little did I know that it meant the personal options from Moto Maker!!! I then rebooted and low and behold my greeting is gone. Ugh...

I went to Motorola website and looked in support forums which explained the difference in the two options during resetting. Wish I would have read that before!!

Anyway, the support Forum did give some information but it seemed way too technical for my computer skills and luck. I don't want to brick my phone and my luck just always seem to stink.

I will find the forum and link it here. Maybe someone more savvy can explain it better and I won't feel like my mom trying to use the DVD player.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site

Hi,

My DT2 is just a stock device from Verizon, but my son's is a custom DT2 with a custom greeting on the loading splash screen. He did the update via computer and his greeting disappeared, too.

This pissed me off but I don't know of any simple solution to get it back.

Doc

Posted via the Android Central App on my Motorola Droid Turbo 2

RTICWOLF

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

Unfortunately I cannot add any support for this post but am eager to hear if there's a reload or something.

I downloaded MM without any issues. A few days after install, I decided to do a FDR as my battery seemed worse. Not to mention, I thought a FDR would also fix (or prevent) anything else that my go wrong. I saw two options when doing the reset and it asked if I wanted to delete personal information. Little did I know that it meant the personal options from Moto Maker!!! I then rebooted and low and behold my greeting is gone. Ugh...

I went to Motorola website and looked in support forums which explained the difference in the two options during resetting. Wish I would have read that before!!

Anyway, the support Forum did give some information but it seemed way too technical for my computer skills and luck. I don't want to brick my phone and my luck just always seem to stink.

I will find the forum and link it here. Maybe someone more savvy can explain it better and I won't feel like my mom trying to use the DVD player.

If you post the link here I will take one for the team and attempt the fix. I actually never did a factory data reset but as the update was happening I noticed the android lying down screen...but I never touched it.
I also noticed there are many other menus when I did a wipe cache after the update...perhaps the option to put in the greeting is there?
In any case post that link....I will give it a shot....

RTICWOLF

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

Changing your Moto X bootlogo (no root neede… | Moto X

Originally I read this same bit of information from the Motorola support website. Bottom line, I don't know about doing all this? Ugh...

Looks like this is for changing the boot logo, not the greeting. I think this is probably something similar to get the greeting back....think we could be on the right track.
And yes, I agree, this is a bit complicated for sure!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I have only had my Turbo 2 for a month and had the same issues as everyone else with the update failing on March 11. I decided to use the Verizon Software Update Assistant on my PC and was able to update to 6.0, but it literally took about 6 hours to download before the update could begin, not sure why.
Anyway, now that I am updated, I no longer have my startup greeting message that I did through Moto Maker when I customized the phone. It is the initial screen you see when you turn on the phone and appears above the Motorola logo.
I both did an online support chat and also called Motorola, and they were no help. I also did a chat session with Verizon, they really tried to help, but came up with getting a warranty replacement, but it would not be customized, so why do that.

Anyone else have the same issue? If so, any luck in resolving it?

Welcome to Android Central!

I would imagine the issue is that you bought the phone directly from Motorola and then used the Verizon Software updater to update the phone. You probably should have used the Motorola Software suite to do the update. I would imagine the Verizon Software flashed the Verizon software that comes on the Turbo you buy from them.

RTICWOLF

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central!

I would imagine the issue is that you bought the phone directly from Motorola and then used the Verizon Software updater to update the phone. You probably should have used the Motorola Software suite to do the update. I would imagine the Verizon Software flashed the Verizon software that comes on the Turbo you buy from them.

Thanks for the welcome!
I actually purchased the phone direct from Verizon and was able to customize it just like using Moto Maker.
I have to imagine that others have had the same issue. Perhaps I should have just waited for the next push of the software to my phone instead of using the Verizon Software Updater, but it should basically do the same thing I would think.....but perhaps not.

I have Googled the crap out of this issue and just cannot seem to find anything that helps...and Motorola nor Verizon have helped either. Ugh!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the welcome!
I actually purchased the phone direct from Verizon and was able to customize it just like using Moto Maker.
I have to imagine that others have had the same issue. Perhaps I should have just waited for the next push of the software to my phone instead of using the Verizon Software Updater, but it should basically do the same thing I would think.....but perhaps not.

I have Googled the crap out of this issue and just cannot seem to find anything that helps...and Motorola nor Verizon have helped either. Ugh!
It might be something that they do when you order the phone. They probably enter in the message and the flash the OS on the phone.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So, if you do a FDR after you upgrade to MM will you lose your "personal greeting?" Or, is this just happening to some people?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

The answer is sort of just a few posts above yours: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ate-has-happened-anyone-else.html#post5102744

I say "sort of" because you will have to create the boot logo on your own when you use this method.

And, yes, it is a little RIDICULOUS that Motorola cannot or will not provide the ability for somebody to recover the boot logo that they made with moto maker. Though I suppose another way to look at it is that any time that they spend on building such a tool is time that they are not spending on developing updates or software development for new products. You see that logo only when you start the phone, for seconds, so I'd say that the loss is not a critical one.

RTICWOLF

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site

The answer is sort of just a few posts above yours: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ate-has-happened-anyone-else.html#post5102744

I say "sort of" because you will have to create the boot logo on your own when you use this method.

And, yes, it is a little RIDICULOUS that Motorola cannot or will not provide the ability for somebody to recover the boot logo that they made with moto maker. Though I suppose another way to look at it is that any time that they spend on building such a tool is time that they are not spending on developing updates or software development for new products. You see that logo only when you start the phone, for seconds, so I'd say that the loss is not a critical one.

I do agree that it is not a critical thing, but it is something that they "sell" you on as another reason to purchase this phone. To be honest, it was one of the reasons I purchased it is that I could make it how I wanted, with colors, skin, and greeting. So now they give you an update to the phone (and it took going through hoops to get it) and it takes away one part of what you paid for and there is simply no help? That is the part that bothers me, nobody with Motorola was any help and Verizon could not help either, but truly tried.

Yes, they should focus on the time to develop the updates....but part of that is to not break what we already have and certainly not something we paid for as part of the customization they make as part of the selling point for the device.
So while I agree with what you said and do not disagree, you can see why this issue is something that I would like resolved, and Motorola should fix it or give a way for me to bring it back easily.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

But I thought this was a problem if you updated through Verizon's sua? Motorola seriously had nothing to do with that. That's Verizon's tool all the way. They have the same tool for all of their phones, not just Motorola, not just Droid.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

But, I say again - Motorola should have a tool that allows their customers to get their greetings back.

ChuckLIII

Feb 1, 2016
Visit site

But, I say again - Motorola should have a tool that allows their customers to get their greetings back.
Such a tool probably wouldn't work without root access, and we know Motorola isn't going to do that.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Such a tool probably wouldn't work without root access, and we know Motorola isn't going to do that.
Apparently you can do it right now without root access by using fastboot, but you have to create your own custom greeting page. What's missing is a tool that allows you to create and download (or download one already created) a greeting on Moto Maker and walk you through using fastboot to upload it to your phone. Or creating a Windows/Mac tool like Verizon's Software Update Assistant to automate the whole thing (except putting the phone in fastboot mode, of course.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63